• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weeks Hols. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
:hi: Had the week of this week, so i thought mmmm, were shall i go, then she who must be obeyed said i hope your not going off every day are you,? in only a way a woman can!! so being the loving hubby i am, i said noooo luv. So i thought what about those places local that we all say we will go to but just never get there. so these are just local area`s within Leyland&Chorley, most of these trips were to area`s that have a small river, with weir and faster flowing water, in the hope of kingfisher & Dipper. I wont bore you with the day to day report so this is an overall thing, 1st went to cuerden park which has a bigish lake, 65. blackheaded gulls, 20. canada geese, mallards by the 100. best sight was a male great grested grebe, and i must say he looked a bonney
boy, next i walked backed towards the woods, and thought i heard a woodpecker drumming? yes it was confirmed by another birder, but we could not find it. So we both headed of to one of the parts of the park were there is a good flowing stream, parked up and walked back towards the bridge over looking the stream, been their 15-mins and wham a flash of colour we both looked and said was it ? mins later she was back and perched about 40 foot away from us WOW i saySHE because there was a red base to her bottom beak, and what views she gave us. we then had a walk to look at an area we know holds a pair of little owls, and they to were there stayed for about 12mins brill. one last quick look at the stream to see if our luck would hold for the dippers, alas no, but hey what a good few hours we had.
The following ay i headed for the river Yarrow, its about a 25 min walk to the spot i thought would be good, been there for 30 mins and 2 kingfishers, but they would not settle, so moved on towards the weir, again a wait but boy did it pay of, my 1st Dipper for about 2 years!!! iwatched it in-out-in-out of the water pure magic. So all in all i had a very happy wife because she had a few days out, and I was a very happy birder
3. kingfishers,
2. little owls.
1. Dipper.
Yessssssssss.

PS. the spot where the little owls are is not general knowledge, because of egg thieves, and some subhumans wrecking their nest sight. last year. :C
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back