• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garganey!!!! (1 Viewer)

deboo said:
It wasn't in full breeding plumage.
Hi Dave,

Understandable - Garganey have the longest period in eclipse plumage of any duck, from June/July to February/March. Usually, they moult into full breeding plumage only just before they migrate or during the migration, and early ones are quite often not yet in full plumage. I've even seen them not yet fully in breeding plumage in mid April on occasion.

Michael

Yay good on you Dave.....I'm off out now to look for my own spring migrants!!!

And yes Dawn, I will enter it onto the BTO Migration Watch site...meant to last year but never got around to it *hangs head in shame*

GILL

Dave, I just found a picture of you receiving your "I just found a Garaganey" certificate!
You kept that quiet!

Attachments

• garganey_award.jpg
    garganey_award.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 183
SimonC said:
Dave, I just found a picture of you receiving your "I just found a Garaganey" certificate!
You kept that quiet!

Simon, BRILLIANT! Your turn to put me in danger of getting the sack for laughing hysterically! Been scratching my head about your Geoff Capes references all day! :clap:

Darrenom said:
Simon, BRILLIANT! Your turn to put me in danger of getting the sack for laughing hysterically! Been scratching my head about your Geoff Capes references all day! :clap:

And that's not even the Bunny/Pancake replacement!

BTW, I wish I'd found a Garganey, it'd be a lifer for me!

brianhstone said:
Just had a report that this bird is still present (Thurs morning). :t:

I'm as smug as a very smug person getting smugged!!!
Shall endeavour to see MY bird again tomorrow....
Was planning to go to Lynford to see the Hawfinches again.....
Nah...Ten a penny them Hawfinches...and I might get a few Barred Woodpeckers at Woodwalton...and probably the earliest ever Nightingale too!!!

HAHAHAHA

Dave.

Dave, you have a very good date. My date for a Garganey is rather ordinary: June 22 (2000).

And I wasn't even the first one to see it. I arrived second. Nice chap, already looking at it, said, "Say, how well do you know your ducks?"

It was the location, you see. The date was ho-hum, but the location...was Vancouver, Canada.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back