• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

King Penguin in South Australia (1 Viewer)

SteveClark

G'day all

A King Penguin was found moulting on a beach at Port MacDonnell in se South Australia recently and I saw it today. A magnificent bird - either just starting or nearly finished its moult. King Penguins are rarely seen on the Australian mainland - only a handful of records. The nearest breeding site is Maquarie Island half way to Antarctica.

Hopefully it will survive its visit and head for its normal haunts soon - but not before a few more twitchers have seen it.

I took a few photos and if any are worth posting I'll do so soon.

Cheers

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
http://members.datafast.net.au/clarkja/sw_birds.htm

What a superb sight that must have been Steve. I suppose you've seen plenty of Little Penguins in Victoria but King Penguin must have been most unexpected. I thought it would be more likely to turn up in winter anyway, not the middle of summer (?) Look forward to seeing some photos.

E

The bird had moulted lots of its head feathers so looked a bit scruffy. Not as bad as some other moulting penguins I've seen. They can be very hard to identify when they are in the middle of the process. I don't know if the bird was hot - air temp would have been about 20 Celcius. We watched it go for a brief swim at one point.

Great find, Steve. Unfortunately I'm heading in the opposite direction this weekend. I haven't been on a twich for ages, have almost forgotten what it feels like.

pduxon said:
Nice find. I wonder what the chances of a penguin appearing on the Briitsh list are?

You'd be surprised how many people think Puffins are penguins, Pete, and lots of tourists leave Iceland every year thinking that they've seen penguins.

The general word for penguin in Icelandic (mörgæs) is almost identical to the one for Brent Goose (margæs) and once a birding friend of mine organised an evening excursion to show the hoi polloi the local Brent Geese (which are common passage migrants in the area in April and September). Afterwards several people were bitterly disappointed to find out that they had gone to see geese not penguins!

But to answer your original question, Pete, very little but a lot more likely than say, any kiwi sp. or Kagu!

E

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back