• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short or Long-Billed Dowitcher? (1 Viewer)

spresutti

Saw this guy at Fort de Soto, FL yesterday. I think I've narrowed it down to a Dowitcher, but for the life of me I can't figure out if its short-billed or long-billed. Any help?

Thanks,
Stephen

Attachments

• Dowitcher-1.jpg
    Dowitcher-1.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Dowitcher-2.jpg
    Dowitcher-2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
The broad fringes on the upperparts, little barring on the flanks and the rather broad black bars on the tertial would seem to point to hendersoni Short-billed but the supercillium, behind the eye, appears to be more coloured than before it coupled to the rather long bill and humped back posture would seem better for Long-billed. Allowing for lighting conditions and individual variation I'd go with Short-billed.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back