• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32 SE vs top roof 42s in terms of brightness (1 Viewer)

BoonHogganbeck

I'm going to try out a bunch of new binos this week, but, since I'll be in a brightly lit store, I'm not sure how to test the binoculars' brightness. And, since I'll be in Manhattan, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to take them outside.

Anyway, how do the Nikon 8x32 SE stand up in low-light conditions compared to the top 8x42 roofs? Are the larger aperture roofs--the ELs and Victories-- brighter simply because they have larger objectives, or are the SEs just as bright?

I have found the EL's and FL's to be exceptionally bright, and would expect the difference between those and the SE's to be noticeable. Put Cameraland on your list of stops. I don't know if they will let you go outside, but it is a smaller store and I know several people on the Forum have shopped there in person and had good experiences. Doug, the owner, posts here regularly. I've talked to him and he gave excellent advice.

The Camaraland staff have accompanied me outside for short a "field test," on at least one occasion. This was in contrast with the biggest vendor in New York, B&H, who would not. However, I think that daytime would not reveal much of a difference between the kinds of binoculars in question.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I'm going to try out a bunch of new binos this week, but, since I'll be in a brightly lit store, I'm not sure how to test the binoculars' brightness. And, since I'll be in Manhattan, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to take them outside.

Anyway, how do the Nikon 8x32 SE stand up in low-light conditions compared to the top 8x42 roofs? Are the larger aperture roofs--the ELs and Victories-- brighter simply because they have larger objectives, or are the SEs just as bright?
The SE 8X32 is surprisingly bright and will show as much, or more, detail as any of the top binoculars for most of the birding day. As expected, a good 42mm will outperform the SE 8X32 in very low light conditions.

See
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=16292
for more comments on this subject.

John

How is Cameraland for their "demo" equipment? Do you know if Swaro, Zeiss, etc. extend their warranties to equipment bought as "demo"?
Dear Mr. Hogganbeck,

As I recall, Leica factory Demos have a one year guarantee and an extended warranty. Leica store Demos might have full "passport" guarantees. My recently acquired Zeiss 8x32 FL, came with full papers. As I wrote,I have the benefit of doing business in person, which is the best way to purchase a binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

...As expected, a good 42mm will outperform the SE 8X32 in very low light conditions.

Interesting question, exspecially for me this last Saturday.

I was hiking through an area of mixed cover types, early afternoon. I had my 8x32 SE's along. Love them, etc. Yadda Yadda.;)

In brush underneath a tight, thick under-story there was a movement. I looked with the binos.

Now understand the It was VERY dark in the brush/trees. I saw a bird, that from size, shape, and the slight beak curve, was a "Thrasher". But, I could barely see any color on it. I wonder if i had my say, Zeiss 7x42 classics along, if i could have seen color?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back