• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it possible to get bins for users who wear glasses? (1 Viewer)

shoshone

England
Apologies if this has been asked before (I guess it has).

If possible any links to sites or articles or just members experience / opinions.

I know one can just stick the spec on your head and have the bins tuned or dioptre set for the naked eye, however it just would be nice to keep the glasses on.

Many thanks

Jamie

Try the RSPB bins if on a tight budget, the swaro's EL's if you got the dosh. I use specs and both these were good for me, as cash was tight I had to settle for the RSPB one's.

Jamie I have acute long sight and have worn specs all my life. I have been birding 40+ years and have never "stuck them on top of my head" As Tero said bino's vary a lot but most manufacturers now cater for spectacle wearers. My suggestion would be to try the various models at one of the many field days organised by the likes of the RSPB, In Focus etc.

The modern twist up/down type eye cups offer excellent eye relief, I use Nikon HGL 8 x 40 and Leica Ultravid 10 x 42.

Good luck in your search

Stewart

I can't get used to keeping my specs on whilst using bins. I've tried and tried but still prefer to nudge my glasses up a bit and jam the bins against my eyes instead! Just feels better for me!!! A tecnique you see used quite a bit out and about (glad I'm not the only one who probably ends up looking a bit daft). My bins do have the rolling rubbery bit but....never use anymore.
Claire

I can't get used to keeping my specs on whilst using bins. I've tried and tried but still prefer to nudge my glasses up a bit and jam the bins against my eyes instead! Just feels better for me!!! A tecnique you see used quite a bit out and about (glad I'm not the only one who probably ends up looking a bit daft). My bins do have the rolling rubbery bit but....never use anymore.
Claire

Many thanks to all for your replies. Clearly I need to take the advice and try lots of bins to see if any work for me.

regards

Jamie

Is there a big table of eye relief values for a wide variety of models somewhere out there on the interweb? Testing binoculars in person isn't possible for some of us.

Not by the numbers

My experience is that the eye relief numbers are very unreliable, only using the binocular would let you know if it suits you. For instance, the eye relief of the Nikon EII is about 14 mm but it works fine for me. With the EII, I saw a wider field with my glasses on and the cups down, than with them off and the cups up. Whether you are near sighted, as I am, or far sighted, and how deeply set are your eyes may be important, so trying them is rather important

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

so trying them is rather important

I'm sure that's what's best, but for those of us living in remote locations it's impossible to "test drive" specialty items like binoculars, and the info on the internet or a forum like this is the primary resource we have for decision making.

I know one can just stick the spec on your head and have the bins tuned or dioptre set for the naked eye, however it just would be nice to keep the glasses on.

If you have astigmatism, like I do, then you can't just take your glasses off when you want to have a full FOV and still have it all in focus.

Is there a big table of eye relief values for a wide variety of models somewhere out there on the interweb? Testing binoculars in person isn't possible for some of us.
List a few models you're interested in and you'll probably get the feedback you're looking for.

Bins with specs

Many thanks to all for your replies. Clearly I need to take the advice and try lots of bins to see if any work for me.

regards

Jamie

I have Opticron, used without specs and my Leica Ultravid 8X32, which I can use comfortably with specs on.
Hope you can find some which are good for you.........:t:

List a few models you're interested in and you'll probably get the feedback you're looking for.

Well, to narrow it down to a few models I need the eye relief specs to narrow down the list first. I'm interested in something under $200, around 8x, light and compact, with good eye relief for glasses. If you go by the info from the link stabor posted above, the Nikon Action EX would seem to be the clear leader under $200. (Thanks for the link) I only glanced at the list once so far - too busy out in the forest taking photos. ;)

;)
Well, to narrow it down to a few models I need the eye relief specs to narrow down the list first. I'm interested in something under $200, around 8x, light and compact, with good eye relief for glasses. If you go by the info from the link stabor posted above, the Nikon Action EX would seem to be the clear leader under $200. (Thanks for the link) I only glanced at the list once so far - too busy out in the forest taking photos.
Unfortunately the Action EX isn't either light or compact. You might find this thread of interest. The two Bushnell Excursions mentioned should be suitable for using with glasses.

Michael.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back