• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(Nikon 82ED) DS 50x or 30x Wide, which one better? (1 Viewer)

hkchan123

(Nikon 82ED) DS Wide 50x or 30x , which one better?

I think I will go for the Nikon 82ED, but not sure which DS eyepiece will be better.

I heard that both DS 30x and 50x Wide is good, but any disadvantages for each of them??

I am not sure which one to buy :cat:

How about a zoom 25-75x MC eyepiece??

and I think I will get the Nikon P5100, so probably I should go for the FSB-6 Adapter if they are compatible.
but my concern is, should I get the universal mounting bracket instead? it seems to be more convenient to detach the camera from the eyepiece when I want to see it with my eye.
Any one can give me some advice for that?
:eat::eat:

thank you

Last edited:
I think I will go for the Nikon 82ED, but not sure which DS eyepiece will be better.

I heard that both DS 30x and 50x Wide is good, but any disadvantages for each of them??

How about a zoom 25-75x MC eyepiece??

and I think I will get the Nikon P5100, so probably I should go for the FSB-6 Adapter if they are compatible.
but my concern is, should I get the universal mounting bracket instead? it seems to be more convenient to detach the camera from the eyepiece when I want to see it with my eye.
Any one can give me some advice for that?
:eat::eat:

thank you
Welcome to Birdforum B :)

I am... buy the 30xDS ;). It is fantastic, all others are only average or good for digiscoping. The 50xDS is great for long-distance viewing, but why Nikon decided to call it "DS" (like "digiscoping"?) is still beyond me. The Nikon zoom is also optically very good and versatile for viewing, but it is not nearly as digiscoping friendly as the Leica, Swaro, Zeiss and Kowa zooms.

Best regards,

Ilkka

I am... buy the 30xDS ;). It is fantastic, all others are only average or good for digiscoping. The 50xDS is great for long-distance viewing, but why Nikon decided to call it "DS" (like "digiscoping"?) is still beyond me. The Nikon zoom is also optically very good and versatile for viewing, but it is not nearly as digiscoping friendly as the Leica, Swaro, Zeiss and Kowa zooms.

Best regards,

Ilkka

Iikka, would you recommend that lens for the ED50 scope, bearing in mind that it is only 16x in that application? All the other figures look good for that lens but I'm not sure if the 20x MC might give a more useful reach? Decisions, decisions!

Ron

Iikka, would you recommend that lens for the ED50 scope, bearing in mind that it is only 16x in that application? All the other figures look good for that lens but I'm not sure if the 20x MC might give a more useful reach?

Ron,

Again, it depends on what you want. The 20x is by no means too much for digiscoping and it may well be more versatile for viewing, but IMO you can get better pics with the 16x (IF you can get close enough). Just keep in mind that no matter which eyepiece you use, the tiny ED50 is never a long-reach digiscope par excellence. ;)

Best regards,

Ilkka

Ron,

Again, it depends on what you want. The 20x is by no means too much for digiscoping and it may well be more versatile for viewing, but IMO you can get better pics with the 16x (IF you can get close enough). Just keep in mind that no matter which eyepiece you use, the tiny ED50 is never a long-reach digiscope par excellence. ;)

Best regards,

Ilkka
Ilkka, thanks for your reply. I realise the ED50 is a bit limited for digiscoping but I regard it as a challenge.;)

Can you tell me what aspects of the DS 16x are so good for digiscoping?

I use the zoom at the moment and, surprisingly, according to Nikon's figures it has the best exit pupil size (3.8mm) and relative brightness (14.4) of all the Nikon lenses at 13x setting, which is what I normally use. It falls down on eye relief and field of view. I have to zoom the camera in halfway to eliminate the vignetting so this is the main problem I want to overcome.

The DS 16x sounds very good but I would like to get about 20x magnification if possible as I don't seem to encounter too many close birds from the hides I use. Have a look at my Users Gallery to see the sort of shots I am trying to take.

Ron

Can you tell me what aspects of the DS 16x are so good for digiscoping?

This is of course a matter of taste, but I like 1) low-powered, 2) wide-angled eyepieces, with 3) enough eye-relief that the camera can be used over entire zoom range without vignetting. The 30xDS (16x) is Nikon's only eyepiece that fulfills all these three requirements. It is incredibly sharp, has a sufficient exit pupil, it is easy to attach to any kind of adapters and it accepts a wide range of cameras that can be used at any zoom setting.

Ilkka

ps. Your gallery shows that you really have done a great job with your ED50, but if you think you will sometimes need more reach, the ED82 is the way to go: same eyepieces, same brightness, twice the power. :t:

I recommend the 30x for the 82ED. The 50x passes less light and is therefore more sensitive to movement of scope an/or subject. I have the 82ED and 30x eyepiece and find it to be the ideal combination. The attached image was made yesterday with this setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0023-crsbf.jpg
    IMG_0023-crsbf.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 257
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back