• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (1 Viewer)

Thanks Adam & Andrew :t:.
Still not very good with my Waders but I know Common and Purple Sandpiper quite well, it's the Green & Wood I'm a bit iffy with;)

Rainton Meadows

Ruff (well Reeve actually) and a single Pink-footed Goose on the Main Lake this dinner time.

Long-eared Owl hunting over fields late last evening. 4 Snipe on the Main Lake.

Ruff (well Reeve actually) and a single Pink-footed Goose on the Main Lake this dinner time.

Long-eared Owl hunting over fields late last evening. 4 Snipe on the Main Lake.

you were lucky to see owt on the main lake - there was a gang of yobs hoying rocks in yesterday aftnoon.
another Redstart (northern boundary hoss fields) & a cc Marsh Harrier went through @2pm Thurs.
Steve

RSPB Saltholme - am - BN Grebe, Whiskered Tern and Little Gull still present. A few more waders this morning on the west pond causeway with Dunlin x49, Black-tailed Godwit x8, Knot x1, Ringed Plover x6, Ruff x7, Snipe x5.

Snipe, Ruff, Dunlin were showing well in front of Saltholme Hide later in the morning.

A juvenile Peregrine flew from Dormans Pool over the reserve around 9.40am. I thought it was colour ringed at first but the red mark on it's leg looks more like blood than a ring. Apparently the one ringed on Sabic was colour ringed.

Around lunchtime Spotted Redshank x2 dropped onto the main pool but relocated to Dormans Pool a little later.

A Curlew with a chunk missing from it's front was at the Wildlife Watchpoint - maybe got at by a weasel or maybe flown into some barbed wire? It was otherwise healthy enough and didn't appear bothered by it's injury.

A Broad-bodied Chaser was in front of the hide and seen a few minutes later on the pathside behind the hide. GSW, Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Starlings were on the feeders. Prior to my arrival a Greenshank had been giving good views in front of the hide.

A Sparrowhawk was over the visitor centre as I left at lunchtime.

Attachments

• IMG_5599ao.jpg
    IMG_5599ao.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5666ao.jpg
    IMG_5666ao.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5744ao.jpg
    IMG_5744ao.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5867ao.jpg
    IMG_5867ao.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5978bo.jpg
    IMG_5978bo.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 64
Ten species of wader at Castle Lake, Bishop Middleham yesterday evening including two Spotted Redshank.

Attachments

• 19082010 003.jpg
    19082010 003.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 114
you were lucky to see owt on the main lake - there was a gang of yobs hoying rocks in yesterday aftnoon.
another Redstart (northern boundary hoss fields) & a cc Marsh Harrier went through @2pm Thurs.
Steve

Aye the joys of the school holidays :C had a couple of run in's with them in the hide of recent!!!

Good record of Redstart and Marsh Harrier mate

Low Barnes - Juv. Hobby gave a great display over the West Pasture Reed beds mid morning. Perched on adjacent pylon it repeatedly launched itself in a fast flight attempting to catch prey in mid flight with at least one success. Was able to view it for about 20 minutes from the Northumbrian Hide before it flew off towards the Wear. Made up for a dismal and damp morning.

Zinc Works Road - am - Whinchat x3 (fem & 2 juv) perched along the fence line and dropping onto the grass either side to feed. Two adult Peregrines were perched on the power station building.

RSPB Saltholme - BN Grebe on the east pond still feeding in amongst around 20 Little Grebe.

On the West Pond - Little Gull, Whiskered Tern, Spotted Redshank x2, Ruff, c.12, Black-tailed Godwit c.20, Little Ringed Plover, Golden Plover x1, Ringed Plover, Dunlin & Snipe. The Spotted Redshank were in view from the hide for most of the morning though one flew off towards Dormans Pool. The other eventually moved onto Back Saltholme before flying off west and lost from view. Both remained distant from the hide. Ruff, Dunlin and Snipe giving close views in front of the hide.

Wildlife Watchpoint - Greenshank - up to three present on and off. The feeders were quite busy with Blue Tit, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Starling. A Dunnock was skulking in the bushes as was a Sedge Warbler.

Attachments

• IMG_6266ao.jpg
    IMG_6266ao.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6299bo.jpg
    IMG_6299bo.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6531a.jpg
    IMG_6531a.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6682b.jpg
    IMG_6682b.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6845a.jpg
    IMG_6845a.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 75
Green Woodpecker - Low Barns

Had and early morning start at Low Barns, and came across this juvenile Green Woodpecker between the West Pasture hide and the river. I heard it first - as usual then it flew up from the grass to a fence post, then back to the grass, I managed to get a little closer as it was obscured then it flew up to a telegraph pole. Really pleased with this as they are so difficult to get decent photos of.
Also on the reserve, water rail briefly, sparrowhawk, possible hobby, dipper, common sandpiper, great spotted woodpecker, nuthatch, treecreeper, Mistle Thrush and all the usual tits.

Attachments

• Green-Woodpecker.jpg
    Green-Woodpecker.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Green-Woodpecker-2.jpg
    Green-Woodpecker-2.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 75
  • green-woodpecker6.jpg
    green-woodpecker6.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I spent the moring at Dormans Pool and then RSPB Saltholme.

I was suprised to see a Marsh harrier already out hunting over Dormans Pool when I arrived at 8.30am and opened the hide shutters. It covered the east side, north end and then came over to hunting behind Sabic before heading back over towards the Long Drag.

The juvenile Peregrine came scooting over the ridge from the Rec Pond putting up all the waders. Prior to that there had been Greenshank x4, Ruff x4, Little Gull and Little Egret x15 in view.

Saltholme east pond - Black-necked Grebe still.

Saltholme west - Spotted Redshank x2, Little Stint plus the usual Black-tailed Godwit, Ruff, Dunlin, Ringed Plover and geese.

On the reserve itself I only got as far as the Wildlife Watchpoint wher Greenshank x3 were giving close views at times. The only other bird of note was a distant Water Rail.

As I left I called at the screen on the Bottom Tank where a distant Whinchat was feeding from various post in the centre section.

Greenshank video - http://www.birdforum.tv/action/viewvideo/2241/Greenshank/?ref=IanF

Attachments

• IMG_7369a.jpg
    IMG_7369a.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7446a.jpg
    IMG_7446a.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7488a.jpg
    IMG_7488a.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_7017a.jpg
    IMG_7017a.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7149aa.jpg
    IMG_7149aa.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 95
Hobby at Low Barns

Spent a few hours at Low Barns this morning.
Within 10 mins of arriving ( 0710 ) had views of juvenile Hobby
up untill i left at 1130. Also whilst observing Hobby a Sparrowhawk
perched on the same branch within 7/10 feet away.

Attachments

• IMG_0966(2).JPG
    IMG_0966(2).JPG
    285 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0955(1).JPG
    IMG_0955(1).JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0956(1).JPG
    IMG_0956(1).JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 93
Spent a few hours at Low Barns this morning.
Within 10 mins of arriving ( 0710 ) had views of juvenile Hobby
up untill i left at 1130. Also whilst observing Hobby a Sparrowhawk
perched on the same branch within 7/10 feet away.

Fabulous photos Alan. Did the Hobby look just fledged (a bit unsteady/not confident in the tree) or did you think it had been fledged a while? Should be plenty of food to keep it going in the Low Barns area.

Mark

Thanks for the reply.
As far as i know it fledged a while ago.
I saw the sighting of it on the Durham Bird Club site along with a green woodpecker not having seen either before so i was chuffed with the Hobby

Alan

Zinc Works Road - 8.15am - Whinchat x11 - by far the most I've seen in one place. They were gradually making their way south along the fence from North Gare feeding on the Common and then heading over Zinc Works Road to the power station golf course. Peregrine on the power station. Other birds on the Common included Linnet, Stonechat, Goldfinch.

RSPB Saltholme - just one Spottted Redshank this morning, Whiskered Tern, Little Gull and BN Grebe still present and Greenshank x3 at the Wildlife Watchpoint.

Little Gull and Whiskered Tern were feeding by the roadside again this evening. Also Peregrine chasing waders and Sparrowhawk doing the same. Several Snipe, Ruff, Black-tailed Godwit and Lapwing flying west over the main road to roost on Saltholme west. Water Rail x2 plus juvenile, Greenshank and Yellow Wagtail on Saltholme east.

Attachments

• IMG_7517ao.jpg
    IMG_7517ao.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7522ao.jpg
    IMG_7522ao.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7666aa.jpg
    IMG_7666aa.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8175ao.jpg
    IMG_8175ao.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8183ao.jpg
    IMG_8183ao.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 73
Rainton Meadows

A quick visit today revealed a juv Little Stint on the main lake from the hide - first seen at about 10:45am and still showing and feeding away on the far back at 11:30 when i left the hide).

Also 1 Snipe and a juv Great Crested Grebe (found earlier by Steve Evans - cheers)

Cheers Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back