• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I bought Opticron Explorer WA Oasis-C end of last year but got them stolen and since then used a cheap pair. They cost about £200 form in focus near Warrington, Cheshire.

I want to buy a new pair fairly soon. Any recommendations? Maximum spend might be £300. I want to have better and closer views.

I think the Hawke Frontier ED models may be a decent suggestion and well inside your budget. Both the 8x and 10x are recommended by their users and some I've spoken too have said it will be their last binocular based upon performance to price ratio. The 10x would perhaps bring the birds a bit closer, but trying before buying is highly recommended. In the second hand market you could get lucky and pick up a pair of Leica trinovids, Nikon hg or Zeiss Bgat all of which offer excellent images, a tough chassis and an element of penanche if that's your sort of thing!
Good luck.

Rather try http://www.microglobe.co.uk/nikon-8x30-eii-porro-prism-binoculars-p-9657.html if interested in an old style porro with marginal ER and no waterproofing but very nice optics and a huge FoV.

When buying direct from Japan there might be warranty and customs issues...

Joachim

Second Denco, the E11 is hard to beat at that price range, I think it's the best 8x30 porro you can get personally. As far as a £300 roof goes, you get what you pay for in a new roof binocular, and at that price you will get something OK decent, but not something that's very,very good. Myself I would rather buy the E11 porro or a good used Alpha roof, like a Swaro SLC, Zeiss BGAT, Leica BN, etc than a new roof at that price, but I think they would still be a bit more than £300 used as old as they are, they are still wanted. As Joachim said, if you buy from outside the EU on around £300 you will pay an additional £70 + approx customs and handling charges, I bought a £400 purchase from the USA, the charges came to £88.
Microglobe have pretty much the cheapest new deals in the UK, but phone them to double check they have what you want in stock, I have seen feedback that suggests the website is not always up to date, but I have always found them to be very helpful. Clifton Camera's and Harrisons sometimes have good deals and sometimes good used or demo Binoculars for sale.
Good luck

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back