• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great birdwatching,no birdwatchers (1 Viewer)

trw

I spend my birdwatching days avoiding bird reserves and visit places which involve using my legs rather than the nearest spot as close to the car as possible.

This morning I walked up a local limestone escarpment,Scout Scar, which catches migrating birds on their way south.
As normal Common Redstarts were stopping off to refuel and there were 5 in total.This is the third time within a week I have seen totals of five passing through.
Spotted Flycatchers have been numerous over the past couple of weeks with a maximum of 8 seen last week on one occasion.
This morning a flock of 12 Redpoll arrived-very common around here.
I then set off for a quiet area on the nearby Kent Estuary.
The tide was high and I chose a location where hundreds of birds are forced to land-the rest of the estuary is covered in water once the tide is in.
There were initially 8 Common Sandpiper,56 Lapwing,4 Little Egret,6 Goosander,8 Cormorant,18 Ringed Plover,4 Dunlin,1 Oystercatcher and 4 Ruff.There was a Peregrine hanging around but it looked like it had already eaten.
The tide then swept in hundreds of gulls,210 Greyags,12 Canada Goose and,most surprising of all,5 Pink Footed Goose.A bit early for migrants but there have been none here all Summer.I first saw them two days ago,a day before the previous County record for migration arrival.
Lapwing numbers increased and they were joined by some Curlew,4 Grey Heron, 52 Teal and 4 Wigeon.
Fifty Meadow Pipit,12 Pied Wagtail and one White Wagtail came down, as well as a lone juvenile Stonechat-it landed in the tree beside me.
A couple of Raven were involved in a dispute with a passing Grey Heron.
The oddest bird of the day was Bar Headed Goose-at least I think that is what they call it.Not sure where it had escaped from.

Yesterday I was in a similar area on the other side of the estuary.There were more Ringed Plover,Dunlin and Little Egrets than today but was also the special bonus of a Little Stint plus another Peregrine Falcon.
I had returned to see if the Little Stint was still there.I had found it the previous day.Although this is a Cumbria rarity and I put out the news, no other birdwatchers turned up to see it.To be honest,given the obscure location,this didn't surprise me in the least.Even though it is only around 30 minutes from the nearest car parking area,it is a step too far for some birdwatchers.

As usual I didn't see any other birdwatchers on the estuary, and apart from a dog walker and a strolling couple,nor did I see anyone else.

Considering yesterday was a Bank Holiday it is wonderful to know that there are still places of solace, to escape the swarming crowds.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back