• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 2007 theme challenge - 'Anything Goes' (1 Viewer)

IanF

The theme for January 2007 is 'Anything Goes'.

The 'anything' refers to any living bird, animal or insect or combination in one photo.

Rules -

1. Entry to have been taken in the last twelve months.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry - must at least include month and year.
3. Entry to be uploaded between now and the 21st midnight (GMT).
4. Entries must contain a wild living creature.
5. Location taken to be included and must include county/state and country.
6. One entry per member.
7. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot - no composite images.
8. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However you have until the closing date / time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets the criteria.
9. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
10. The subject's common name must be given - though please add the scientific too!
11. Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification. The Moderators decision is final.

A voting booth will be posted after the 21st.

Please note 30 entries will be selected for addition to the voting booth for members to vote upon.

Entries not selected for inclusion in the voting booth will be moved to their respective Geographical Gallery forum.

Comments on entries are permitted.

Any queries about this months competition - please post below.

Very few entries so far?

Hi everyone, I have two questions, the first one beeing: can you use for the competition a photo that already is on your personal gallery? In that case I guess you have to upload another copy to the monthly photo competition section, right?
The second question is more like a personal issue: why are there so few pictures in the competition when the gallery is full of wonderful shots? I hope that more people will join in, it's just that I love spending hours trying to figure out which one is my favourite ;) and naturally I enjoy looking at all the entries.
Cheers

gatafrancesca said:
Hi everyone, I have two questions, the first one beeing: can you use for the competition a photo that already is on your personal gallery? In that case I guess you have to upload another copy to the monthly photo competition section, right?
The second question is more like a personal issue: why are there so few pictures in the competition when the gallery is full of wonderful shots? I hope that more people will join in, it's just that I love spending hours trying to figure out which one is my favourite ;) and naturally I enjoy looking at all the entries.
Cheers
1. Yep! You can use a photo already in your Gallery as long as it's not been entered in a previous competition. You do have to upload a new copy though.

2. Puzzles me as well, though photo competitions aren't everyones 'cup of tea'!

IanF said:

2. Puzzles me as well, though photo competitions aren't everyones 'cup of tea'!

What surprises me is that so few people bother to vote. Show some interest people. LOL ;) With so many members it's usually only about 100 votes that are cast.

IanF said:
Puzzles me as well, though photo competitions aren't everyones 'cup of tea'!

I agree with your point of view, Ian and respect other people's decisions. I just have the impression that this month's entries have been particularly scarce (in quantity, not quality ;) ). Maybe everyone is waiting to post in the very latest day (like me for instance!)
Anyway, thank you very much for your quick and kind reply |=)|

gatafrancesca said:
I agree with your point of view, Ian and respect other people's decisions. I just have the impression that this month's entries have been particularly scarce (in quantity, not quality ;) ).

I wonder if the apparent lack of entries is down to just how good the first entry was... When I saw just how good that shot was I wondered if it was worth bothering (but did anyway), I guess it may have put some people off.

Thanks Ian.

Peter, I agree with your comment. That entry was pretty mind blowing but I'm going to stick one in as well just to support the cause - LOL.

I also agree with you Pete...but I think that we should not be so concerned about entering the competition just to win, but for the fun and joy that it brings sharing your pictures with the members ;) I know that most of us humble beginners just can't compete with that incredible first entry, but this is not a super-pro contest, is it? So I will post something (sooner or later) and hope more people will do the same...don't be shy! ;)

Tim Taylor said:
Thanks Ian.

Peter, I agree with your comment. That entry was pretty mind blowing but I'm going to stick one in as well just to support the cause - LOL.

Oh, at first I thought you were referring to my mind-blowing shot|:p| ... I know, I know it's rather unbeatable ... :loveme:

Captured bird entry

It seems like the Red-tailed Hawk entry in this month's photo contest is a captured bird. Am I right in this assumption? Photo was taken at a Hawkfest. If it is a captured bird, it doesn't seem like it should be permitted even in the regular gallery.

IanF said:
The theme for January 2007 is 'Anything Goes'.

The 'anything' refers to any living bird, animal or insect or combination in one photo.

Rules -

1. Entry to have been taken in the last twelve months.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry - must at least include month and year.
3. Entry to be uploaded between now and the 21st midnight (GMT).
4. Entries must contain a wild living creature.
5. Location taken to be included and must include county/state and country.
6. One entry per member.
7. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot - no composite images.
8. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However you have until the closing date / time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets the criteria.
9. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
10. The subject's common name must be given - though please add the scientific too!
11. Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification. The Moderators decision is final.

A voting booth will be posted after the 21st.

Please note 30 entries will be selected for addition to the voting booth for members to vote upon.

Entries not selected for inclusion in the voting booth will be moved to their respective Geographical Gallery forum.

Comments on entries are permitted.

Any queries about this months competition - please post below.

The entry has been uploaded as a wild bird, though we are awaiting clarification from the member concerned.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back