• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

tweaking, tweaking, always tweaking! Mind you, you know what you're doing, it's when I tweak that things go wrong, sort of "if it's not broken, let's take it apart and see why not". Tweak away, this one is I believe going to be my favourite of yours.

tweaking, tweaking, always tweaking! Mind you, you know what you're doing, it's when I tweak that things go wrong, sort of "if it's not broken, let's take it apart and see why not". Tweak away, this one is I believe going to be my favourite of yours.

He! He! When I tweak I do it with little brushes, your tweaks tend to be a little more industrial strength and can turn a wren into a falcon if you're not careful! ;)

Actually I admire your bravery with paintings, if you're not happy you dive in and bash a picture about 'til it gets into the shape you wanted it to be in the first place. Or, failing that, you start over!

Mike

Agree with all the above- loved watching the progress of this one. It's been horrible weather here for ever as well but now with the all the festivities over lets hope for lots of those quiet weekends and more time to get back to our art :t:

Sunday was, as predicted, cold, wet, grey, windy. It seems the reserve is preparing for spring though, the cattle have been moved and the fields are being flooded. Water is pumping from the dykes onto the grass via huge, bright blue tubes. The extra standing water has brought in the curlews and lapwings together with wigeon and teal in large numbers. No sign of the merlin (spotted her briefly on Saturday) but plenty of signs that the peregrine was about, flocks of lapwing and wigeon regularly exploding into the air and swirling about making fantastic liquid shapes in the sky before settling back among the tussocky grass. Marsh harriers are regular on Elmley but they seemed to be taking advantage of the wader and wildfowl flocks on Sunday, six seen at the same time bothering the flocks with low level passes, no doubt looking for opportunities to lessen the numbers. Bird of the day though, without doubt, was an adult female hen harrier. She was hidden fairly close to the road and we put her up inadvertantly. She briefly quartered over the mud giving lovely clear views until, with a tilt of her wings, she caught the wind and rocketed off.
I was too excited to get any sketches done and the light prevented any reasonable photos of the hen harrier so here are some of the lapwings, keeping their heads down in the grass, out of the wind instead. Of course the lapwings had starlings for company!

Mike

Attachments

• lappysinthegrass.jpg
    lappysinthegrass.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 216
Another fine account Mike with super drawings, too. The bottom-most starling is expertly drawn. A tiny drawing that has everything - a real gem!

agree with Tim, fantastic. Funny, my star bird of Sunday was a female hen harrier, but I managed to get some sketches of it as it reappeared later.

Finally! I got some time to myself over the weekend, the girls went off shopping (no wonder I'm always broke...) boys at work and uni,, bliss!

Finished tweaking and this is the result.

Just realised the colour looks a bit dull in the scan.

Attachments

• hard day's night.jpg
    hard day's night.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
And now for something completely different...

After a day of detailing the owl I fancied a bit of experiment for the evening. So, armed with a big canvas, loads of paint, sketches and plenty of booze I locked myself in the conservatory and proceeded to make like a real artist and splash some paint about with the big brushes.

I finished it off on sunday and I'm reasonably happy with it. I think there are areas for improvement on future projects and I'm not even sure I want to go down this route completely anyway but I'd be glad to hear what anybody else thinks.

B :)

Mike

Attachments

• sleeping lapwings.jpg
    sleeping lapwings.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 267
And now for something completely different...

After a day of detailing the owl I fancied a bit of experiment for the evening. So, armed with a big canvas, loads of paint, sketches and plenty of booze I locked myself in the conservatory and proceeded to make like a real artist and splash some paint about with the big brushes.

I finished it off on sunday and I'm reasonably happy with it. I think there are areas for improvement on future projects and I'm not even sure I want to go down this route completely anyway but I'd be glad to hear what anybody else thinks.

B :)

Mike

Its good- all over the land people reaching for booze and the bristly brushes!

Maybe this May we should have a paint-more-neatly-athon where very one stays sober and paints with extreme attention to detail.

Last things first - a resounding "YES" for the lappies, comp and cont are excellent and your approach seems very natural. I wouldn't be concerned about 'your style' - just paint what you want, how you want to - it'll then BE your style. I approach different subjects and differently sized supports in different ways, but, funnily enough, although brushmarks may be larger, or less concentrated, on examination it's still precisely the same technique. I love the outcome of your painting, whatever.
The owl has succeded in every way - as we thought it would. Super lighting and a charismatic little bird.

you kept us waiting for the owl, and it was worth it, what a beautiful piece! Subtle and bold all in the same picture, one of my favourites, and then the lapwings YAY! You've popped over to the dark side of booze-fuelled splashing! They're superb, an expression of tone, form and light. Couldn't agree more with what Tim said about painting what you want, how you want. Even if this route isn't one you want to go down a the time, it certainly opens your eyes to possibilities on the route you choose. Even I possess a 00 brush! (Not that it gets used much!) Seriously, these two pic have cheered me up no end, after a horribe afternoon teling the kids that they're naughty to make so much noise when I'm ill.

I'd almost abandoned this several times, it's still not what I wanted so I think I'll have to start afresh sometime but, for now, here's one I prepared earlier...

Mike

Attachments

• 2 snipe.jpg
    2 snipe.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 275
Mike - what is it you're not happy with in this painting? Looks pretty darned good from where I'm sitting.

Cheers :)
Chris

Without taking away from the little owl piece, which is a sublime painting I have waited on, without any dissapointment I might add....

The Lapwings are a joy to behold....

If you were a gymnast it would be 10.0 right across the boards...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back