• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa bd 8x25, anyone ? (1 Viewer)

The current kowa 8x25 seems to be replaced in the near future by a
Kowa BD25-8GR (8x25 version). Changes are atleast dialectric coating.
As I was going for the old version, its out of stock everywere so if anyone sees this new one in stock somewere, I would be happy to know.
Pentax DCF LV 9x28 could be an alternative, but its getting big.
Thanks
Carsten

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/mitsuba/kowa_bd25-8gr/

I got lucky this weekend at a silhouette match and won a pair of Kowa BD10x32 in camo color as a door prize. It wasn't till I flew home and checked them out around the woods that I realized how nice these binos are compared to the cheapie binos I have had before.

Then when I noticed they sell for $500-550 I relaize why they are so nice. I realy don't have much to compare them against but I can say WOW they are bright and clear and give me all I could wish for. Probably never would have spent that much on binos myself as I don't use them often but I might use them more that the image is like this.

I knew Kowa had great spotting scopes I guess I should have assumed their binos would be nice as well. Really stout well built binos for sure and lifetime warrantee. Plus the price was right :t: Now I would be afraid to look through $1500+ pairs :eek!: I know good glass from all the high end rifle scopes I have used over the years and these Kowa binos are top notch for the money IMO.

Bo

The current kowa 8x25 seems to be replaced in the near future by a
Kowa BD25-8GR (8x25 version). Changes are atleast dialectric coating.
As I was going for the old version, its out of stock everywere so if anyone sees this new one in stock somewere, I would be happy to know.
Pentax DCF LV 9x28 could be an alternative, but its getting big.
Thanks
Carsten

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/mitsuba/kowa_bd25-8gr/

Just wanna add that I tried the Pentax DCF LV 9x28. It is sharp even at long range. Little colorfringing noticed. Focusknob is fine. Easy to get sharp focus. Easy eyeplacement. (Eyecups 3,5 centimeters) Its 365 gram versus many 8x25 at 300 grams. Size is 20% bigger, as is detail intake versus 8x25. Built was fine.
Made in China.

Tried the Pentax Dcf 8x25 SW (new version), while image was fine, the focus wasnt totally equal all the way. And more important eyerelief is too long giving me blackouts. I dont wear glasses.
Made in China.

I just received a pair of the new Kowa BD25-8GR and had very high hopes for them, given the rave reviews of some of the Kowas. Unfortunately they fell far short of expectations.

First, the good. They are a beautiful shade of green, easy to hold, and the oversized exit pupil compared to 8x20s make them very easy to bring up to the eye and adjust with no blackouts. Of course they are quite a bit larger than 8x20s also, a little too big for me to consider them pocket sized unless it is a coat pocket. They are really a nice looking pair of binoculars, understated and elegant -- eye candy. In addition they come with an absolutely gorgeous case, one of the nicest I have seen. It is soft leather or leatherette, I can't tell which but it feels like leather, lined and with a red "Kowa" stamp. The whole package is so attractive that I would pay hundreds more if they worked half as good as they look.

I compared them to my Zeiss Victory 8x20 T* and Leica 8x20 Ultravids, and also the Leupold Katmai 6x32.

One could say that the 8x20 comparisons are unfair because of the price difference but one would hope a 25mm would have some advantage, and it does, in ease of use. Aside from that there is no comparison. Both of the 8x20s resolved much better in both low and bright light than the Kowa. The Kowa is barely adequate in my opinion as regards sharpness. I think there are many better choices in this price range.

One better choice would be the Katmai. They are about the same price and about the same size although 7 ounces heavier and only 6x instead of 8x. However the Katmai give a field of view that is almost 100 feet wider, and they can resolve detail much better than the Kowa. Both the Kowa and the Katmai by the way have reverse focus, that is to say you rotate the wheel counterclockwise to focus on something farther away.

Wally

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back