• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Middle-East Raptors (1 Viewer)

Gabriel

Hello,

I found these two birds last week when travelling in the Middle-East. I noted them as Honey Buzzards but when looking at the pictures (e.g. carpal area and primaries) I thought it was worthwhile getting the identification confirmed to rule out the possibility of Oriental Honey Buzzard as it also occurs in the region as a vagrant. I do not have own experience of that species or good literature so I would appreciate Your opinion.

Gabriel

Attachments

• HB1A.jpg
    HB1A.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 175
  • HB1B.jpg
    HB1B.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 170
  • HB2A.jpg
    HB2A.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 157
  • HB2B.jpg
    HB2B.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 191
Indeed, Gabriel, these are 2 wonderful, gorgeous 2nd cy female Crested HB...

the 6th primary (P5) (as well as the 5th) is much too long and narrow for HB, the barring to tail and wings are fitting far better CHB, the long, flatt, powerfull bill its ok for CHB, the full, broader tail too, the lack of CARPAL PATCH etc. etc.

Which MD sites?????

Good record

ComplimentsA

Andrea Corso

Thanks for the response. That was very good to hear! The birds were in Oman, Feb 16th. To be more specific, 500 m west of the East Khawr in Salalah, Dhofar.

/Håkan

Speaking about uncrested taxa - is it only me seeing a diminutive "crest" in this picture???
Maybe I am a bit carried away by my imagination...
;)

/Håkan

Attachments

• HB1C.jpg
    HB1C.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Speaking about uncrested taxa - is it only me seeing a diminutive "crest" in this picture???
Maybe I am a bit carried away by my imagination...
;)

/Håkan

Indeed orientalis has also a small crest, kind of bit longer nape feathers, but I was talking about a true, long evidente crest.

Even HB could at times show a sort of bit longer nape feathers eraised almost as a smallish crest wehn alarmed or aggressive posture...

ciao

Andrea Corso

Hello,

I understood that you referred to the crested taxa as the southern ones having a much longer and evident crest. I was just surprised to see something even resembling a tiny tiny crest in one of my pictures. I guess this last picture is not of much use in identifcation though, firstly due to bad image quality and secondly due to the possibility of something similar in HB.

Many thanks for your comments! OHB/HB identification is not easy and I learn a lot from this thread.

/Håkan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back