• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nutty... carving. (1 Viewer)

mark richards

United Kingdom
the only bird that I carved this year...been meaning to finish this nuthatch since
last september, well its been raining so here it is....mark

Attachments

• _DSC5344-1.jpg
    _DSC5344-1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 74
  • _DSC5341.jpg
    _DSC5341.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 57
  • P1010905.JPG
    P1010905.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 67
very glad you got him finished - superb piece! Carving is truly a feat, you have to make sure all the angles are there, at least with 2D painting you can easily hide the back of the bird! Love this little character

Very nice Mark. Reminds me of the familiar pose of our White-breasted Nuthatches here. Oddly enough one of our cats always makes nuthatch-like honks whenever he wants something. So I always feel like we're living with nuthatches.

Did you do the base as well? It looks like a hardwood of some sort, or is that a stain on something like pine? Excuse my ignorance about British woods but I'm pretty sure pine is common there as well. I seem to recall that hundreds of years ago the tallest pines were reserved for the navy?

yes i made the base...Its wood that i had given to me, I think that its a mahogany of some sort...there are many types of mahogany ..I'm a big user of reclaimed wood , its not stained
wood ...mark

thanks Nick...

Last edited:
Your piece is absolutely stunning Mark. If you would be interested in featuring your work on our site as well (environmentalgraffiti.com) do let us know. Truly stunning...great job and kudos to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back