• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frampton Marsh (1 Viewer)

peter hill

Frampton Marsh
Monday 26 July; after an extensive but negative search of Weeting Heath for the Stone Curlews, we decided to pay a visit to Frampton Marsh in Lincs.
It was quite easy to find, A17, A16 towards Boston, turn at a roundabout for Frampton and the Marsh was signposted outside Frampton Church.
On reaching the Marsh, we stopped by at the visitor centre. There I was met by the friendly warden John who informed me of the birds which were about and gave a brief history of how the site had come about.
A quick look round from the visitor centre threw up 2 golden plovers. We turned left out of the centre and walked towards the sea wall, stopping by a piece of water where we saw little grebes. On reaching the high point a brief scan revealed a whimbrel flying right but not much else. We walked along the wall overlooking a pool which held 2 avocets and a shelduck.
At the east hide we saw little egrets, cormorant, black tail godwits (some in summer plumage), wigeon, green sandpiper, ruff and gadwall.
We then walked round to the reedbed hide where we saw sandmartins using the artificial banking, reed bunting, common sandpiper, Egyptian and greylag geese and the escaped ferulous whistling duck.
We then visited the 360 Hide. A lovely hide with all round views. From here we spied dunlin, 2 summer plumage knot, more ruff, juvenile yellow wagtail, 2 snipe, little ringed plover and the highlight of the day as we came out of the hide was a hobby flying over us.
We then finished by the Visitor centre where a whimbrel was feeding in a pool behind.
It is an impressive place and anyone thinking of visiting – give it a go!! They have lots of plans and it has lots of potential. :t:

Hi peter, it is a superb place isnt it, and I look forward to going back, the whistling duck i saw back on 30th May. The 360 hide is amazing, i could stay in there all day. Each time i've been have only had an hour or so, so a full day is in order.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back