• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for Celestron Regal 80 F-ED? (1 Viewer)

w.travis

United States
After all the great reviews I am considering purchasing the Celestron Regal 80 to upgrade my current scope. I am sure there will be no need to upgrade again based on what has been reported about this scope.

I don't know much about scopes and tripods. I have read in Birdforum that some don't like a heavy scope (like the regal) and certain tripods are needed.

I currently have the Bushnell Advanced Titanium Tripod. I don't know if this tripod will work...will the scope even attach to it? It has a "quick release" on the head that screws into the bottom of my current scope. Can I attach the Regal the same way or do I need a different kind of head, or entire tripod?

I would really love to use my current tripod if the Regal will fit on the head.

Thanks for any help, it's appreciated!

The Regal 80 F-ED weighs 2041g and by checking by your tripod load capacity it says 4-8lbs which is (by highest figure) 3628.7g. That is more than enough to support the scope. I am pretty sure all tripods are universal and there is certainly no specific tripod required for the regal to attach to my Olivon tripod. Hope this helps

Which particular head do you have on that tripod? The head that came with it I suspect might not be good enough.

Another think to keep in mind with tripod load ratings at the max load you tend to find some more interesting problems: an the Regal is getting up there in weight.

The other problem is replacing the head (if possible) with a better head will add weight onto the tripod pushing it out to it's limit with the Regal on top.

Which Manfrotto QR plate is it? They have 5 (I think) different plate types.

But as you already have it ... try it and see what happens.

Kevin, Thanks for the response. I don't know what a "Manfrotto QR plate" is? All I know is the head is the original one that came with it, I don't think it is removable...I'll have to check later.

"But as you already have it ... try it and see what happens."

I have not purchased the scope yet.

Here are some pictures attached. I apologize if these are silly questions. I read somewhere this tripod is made for Bushnell scopes (I am hoping it was just marketing) and that this tripod will work with the Regal 80.

So, does it look like the Regal 80 will attach to the head? The plate is removable as shown in one of the pictures, but the head is not removable.

I am hoping this tripod will work with the Regal so I don't need to purchase another one.

Thanks,
Travis

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 131
  • zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 106
  • zzzz.jpg
    zzzz.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 103
This is a 3 axis camera head and I suspect it would be a pushing it with a 4.5lb load (what's that in camera terms: a full frame body plus a middle sized lens?).

If it's removable then you could replace it with another Manfrotto head - the 128RC comes to mind but that weights another 2lb so that would be 6.5lb on top of the tripod which is pushing it as I believe the load rating should be conservative (not more than half the rating for the tripod if possible).

That's one of the many Manfrotto QR (quick release) plates and not, I suspect but haven't used it, one of the better ones. Is it plastic or metal (it looks like plastic in the photos but I can't be sure).

For me the minimum tripod/head would be a 055 (or similar like the Vortex STX70 copy) and a 128RC (or similar) especially if you want to use 60x in the field. The lighter tripod will hold it up but it won't be as stable but it may work OK at 25x to 30x.

So you can go with what you have (you already have it) and perhaps think about upgrading the head and then the tripod in the future as finances allow.

One thing about tripods I found is that (rather like good bins or a good scope) you don't really know what you've been missing until you use a really good one. Then you realize how much the older (cheaper one) moved around.

Thanks for the reply Kevin. The quick release plate is actually metal. I have used a much lighter scope (30oz. or so) with the tripod with no problem. I guess time will tell if it will stabilize a heavier scope like the Regal. I will go with your advise and try to see how it works, then maybe upgrade. I just wanted to make sure the Regal would actually mount on the tripod. Thank you for the info!

Travis

The screw thread is probably a 1/4" and the Regal should come with 3/8" hole and a 3/8" to 1/4' adaptor. Not the best combo but it will work.

With the other better (in this case meaning designed for scopes and cameras) QR plates you can get plates that attached directly to the 3/8" threaded holes on the scope. Minimizing chances of failure or something unscrewing when you least expect it.

The worst that can happen is you need a new tripod and head but in the meantime you will still see some birds (and that's what it's all about ;) ) and you'll enjoy your new scope.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back