• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Watercolour palette (1 Viewer)

Den

I thought it might be interesting to find out what palette other dabblers out there use for painting/sketching birds. I keep off most staining colours and mix my own greens. I use 12 -Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Pale, Crimson Alazirin, Cadmium Red, Cerulean Blue, Ultramarine, Light Red, Burnt Umber, Raw Umber, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna and Payne's Gray. I prefer Winsor & Newton Artist tubes. How about you lot?

Erm.........
I use a Windsor & Newton 'Cotman' watercolour carry kit: it's about 5" X 4" and has 14 small blocks of pigment,a brush and palette. I LOVE it! It goes EVERYWHERE with me! It's been to the Hebs, Belgium, France, Devon..... Thoroughly recommended!

I use the same as David...Cotman watercolour kit (got it cheaper than in the shops from my art club). Colours are Cadmium yellow/cadmium red/alizarin crimson/ultramarine/cerulean blue/prussian blue/viridian hue green/yellow ochre/burnt sienna/burnt umber/ivory black and chinese white.
Only just started using it in the past couple of weeks. Before that I used a tin of twelve watercolour pencils to make quick drawings with in the field and worked on finished drawings at home with either pastels/pastel pencil or acrylics. Still a bit iffy with using watercolour...just need more practice!

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back