• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting scopes---Help!! (1 Viewer)

pauliev69

Proud Smoggie
Hello everybody,
my name is Paul and I am new member and this is my first post. I have only recently got back into birdwatching and am amazed by the choice of equipment now on sale. I purchased a nice pair of binoculars and find them very usefull for close/medium distance viewing but for long distances I presume I need a spotting scope. This is where my confusion starts, can anyone give my some advice on what to buy, I am afraid I am on quite a limited budget, about £500, do you think there is anything on the market to suit. I would be gratefull for any advice, as I am sure ther is quite a lot of experienced people in the Forum
Cheers Paul

Paul

You'll have lots of advice now you've posted that! On behalf of all the Moderators and Administrators, welcome to Bird Forum. I know you're going to love being a member here. Let us know how you get on.

Paul

Out of your £500, you'll probably need to spend a minimum of about £100 on a decent tripod!.
As to the scope & eypiece, Try looking at 2nd hand scopes with ED Glass on the Web at places such as:
Kay Opticals
Acecameras.co.uk
In Focus.
Many of these do field days at nature reserves & parks.
If you want new, look at the Opticron Imagic range or perhaps some of the Kowa scopes.

HTH

I agree with everything Alan says.

Do try out at a field day if possible - it makes such a difference. And don't skimp on the tripod - you'll regret it if you do.

Hi Paul,

I certainly find a scope very useful for the more distant birds, especially the ones down at Saltholme Ponds, Teesmouth at Greatham Creek, The Headland and the Gares. Any coastal birds I suppose and at Low Barns Reserve.

From what your wife told me when we met a few weeks ago, it sounds as if you do get around quite a bit and would make good use of a scope.

Scopes come either straight through or angled. Some people say a straight one is easiest for people new to scopes, but I started with an angled one and had no problem. I also find it easier to use between people of different heights as you don't need to keep adjusting it.

One deciding factor must be whether you want the scope just for birding or whether you may venture into Digiscoping ie using a camera with it. If it's for digiscoping then really in our dull climate you need the high quality glass such Fluorite Hi Res or ED, depending on manufacturer and preferably a diameter around 80 mm, to let in enough light to get a high enough shutter speed.

If the scope is purely for optical viewing then some of the smaller 60+mm scopes would suffice. Your eye is less sensitive to the subtle differences between glass types. I used to have a Kowa 611 with a TSN 30WW which I found ideal for birding locally. It had the benefit of being lighter than the larger scopes ie more comfortable to carry about. Photo wise I couldn't get decent results, so I upgraded to the Kowa 823 with 32x eyepiece, which I picked up secondhand for £400.

Don't forget that with new scopes you buy the eyepieces separately, secondhand they usually come with one. Fixed ones for most scopes seem to be better for photos, but zooms from the decent manufacturers are just as good, certainly for just eye viewing.

Personally I think it's best to have a look through a few scopes either at a shop or whilst out birding - don't try the Leica or Swarovski though or you'll want one ;) and they're a bit pricey. I'd stick to one of the bigger manufacturers though such as Kowa, Opticron, Nikon etc.

Unfortunately we don't have many shops locally stocking scopes. There are two in Darlington and one in Middlesbrough, but ranges are limited. I travelled down to Harrogate for my first scope as there is a very good shop there selling new and secondhand scopes - it's the nearest decent optics shop to us and advertises in the bird magazines - Bass and Bligh. A good place to try out scopes is at one of the In Focus field events. They visit Low Barns Reserve at Bishop Auckland on 18th May ( they were there today!) or Washington WWT on 23rd April. They have a good selection of scopes. I actually rang them last year before a visit and they brought up a couple of second hand ones for me to try out too.

Once you've decided on what scope to get then there are several online suppliers doing new and secondhand scopes, such as Focal Optics who advertise on here. Bird Watching magazine is a good source for scope vendors.

Finally, your budget needs to take into account a decent tripod. A rock solid sturdy one is an essential, such as the Manfrotto range. A sturdy one could set you back around £100, above or below depending on whether new or used. You can usually pick one up second hand at a bargain price - our local shops sell them too.

I hope this helps a bit, but there is a lot of ground to cover.

Last edited:
Paul

In Focus have shops at many of the WWT sites. Their site seems to be down just now, www.at-infocus.co.uk/ .
If you buy yor scope from them they do a £100 plus tripod for about £40. They also have viewing facilities.

Look at the posts at the bottom of the Spotting scope forum on this site for more info about scopes.

Paul

IanF is spot on I have bought quite a bit of gear from Bass & Bligh and they do have some decent stuff, both new and second hand.

I had a similar problen to yourself and bought an Opticron ES 80 with a 20-60 zoom lense plus an Opticron tripod all within the budget of £500.00.

The Opticron is not a par on the Lieca's of this world but is satisfactory for my needs.

Steve J

Recently bought my first scope and also had about £500 to spend. Went for an Opticron Mighty Midget 2, with a 15 - 40 zoom lens, it's small enough to fit in the fieldbag along with bins, id books, sarnies etc. Performance wise it's certainly done me ok in various weathers - sun, overcast, heavy cloud, although at 40x I'd have to admit it's a bit beyond its capability.... 15 - 35 x is ok though. Haven't bought a tripod as I'd rather have all my gear in one bag ( being a cyclist), but anyhow there's always a post / gate / tree to steady on. And was well within the £500 leaving cash to spare for an upgrade on the bins in a few weeks.
Got to be worth a look at least.

Paul/Carlos

I also started off with an Opticron MM2 but with a 25x eypiece and a Velbon 444 tripod. All are lightweight and fine for carrying around in a rucksack or on a bike. The MM2 is not waterproof though, and for serious birding you probably need something with a bit bigger objective, especially if you are going to move on to digiscoping. The glass in the dedicated eyepiece's is too small for digiscoping. That said, it will take the HDF eyepieces although the 32x on an 80mm scope is about 18x on the MM2.
I moved up to an Opticron ES80 with a 32x eyepiece after 6 months. I still need a better tripod as the Velbon 444 is O.K. for the MM2 but not sturdy enough for the ES80.
I still use the MM2 when I do not want the hassle of carrying a tripod around. It will fit into a jacket pocket quite easily and is very light and you can just about use it without resting on anything.
That said, If you do get the MM2, you will probably will want to upgrade within a year. I would recommend the Opticron ES80 as it has HD glass, is waterproof and you can probably get one with eyepiece for less than £450, even less 2nd hand.

Alan

Last edited:
paul
saw a thread on here a few days ago some one selling a opticron 80mm ed scope for about $400 ill try a find the post

Paul
try going into digiscoping cameras and then nikon digi gear youll find the scope for sale in there

Hi: I am new to digiscoping and new to this group as of today April 30th... last year march I went to 4 local suppliers and all tried to sell me the zwarowski, I am 70 retired limited income, not knowing if this is what I would like, so after viewing through a Zwarowski 80HD, Leica Apo, Pentax 80 and the Baush & Lomb, setup side by side, I took the B&L, I am in a learning curve with the cp5000, the spotting scope and birding, hope with time I will improve and learn as the pro's how to manipulate with software to post sharp pictures soon..
yes every one at yahoo said the cp5000 was NOT the camera to use... well it works fine :)
First I build a bracket to hold the scope and the camera, next I purchased an adaptor and the bracket is collecting dust, I also build a quick sight I place on the lens hood and is great with any 45 degree angle'd eyepiece scope.
regards.
visit my site www.walther-loff.com.
Walther..

Hi, Walther.
A fascinating web site. and some good tips on the construction of your adaptor. I also looked at the cp5 but was put of due to the swinging back viewer. Me being a bit prone to breaking things.
Will be looking forward to your pictures

73's paul G2RSA

Paclett

Hi Paul (G2RSA)
Thanks for the cuddos re my site etc. This summer I hope will be a better year for me as I am learning how to manipulate the CP5000 out of the Auto mode.
I also puchased a golf push cart, brand "BAG BOY" model CP360, a 3 wheel unit and it will be great to mount all my gear (manfrotto tripod 075, scope and camera bag )+ lunch & refreshments + folding chair :)
This unit is discontinued and retailed in Canada for $299.00, I was lucky to get one that was returned for warrantee repairs and paid $140.00.
The first and last bird sighting was cumbersome to carry it all and walk for 3 miles to the areas where cars no longer had access.
Nice to see an other ham operator doing digiscoping :)
73 old man
de VE6LW
Walther..
www.walther-loff.com

Hi Paul, I am in the same position as you and following your thread intently. Was going to bid for the Nikon scope on Ebay this week offered by one of the birdforum members had it on my watch list, but the Manchester fire put paid to my bid. However one of the websites listed above In Focus has a special offer on now for the opticron ES80 SD scope 27xWD eyepiece and Delta 1v tripod and carrying case at £399 P&P free, might be tempted myself .Any thoughts please.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back