• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IS60, zoom eye peice comparison (1 Viewer)

adw73uk

I appreciate that this has been discussed in various forms but I can't find a post that deals with my question exactly - I'm hoping tat someone out there can!

After much deliberation and testing, I've settled on purchasing an Opticron IS 60 with a zoom eyepiece. However I've only had an opportunity to test the standard IS zoom, which I was pleasantly surprised at and am tempted to buy.

Does anyone have any experience of comparing the IS zoom, pro IS zoom, HR zoom and HDF zoom. I appreciate that you only get what you pay for, but as I'm only an occasional scope user I want to get the 'biggest bang for my buck' - so to speak! Anyone have any comments???

Regards and thanks in advance.

Andrew

I've tried and tested all three zoom eyepeice side by side and would not recommend buying the standard zoom... The IS pro zoom has a noticeably wider field of view than the standard zoom which makes quite a difference, it also has a twist up eye cup which is good if you wear glasses. All in all for the extra £24 it's well worth getting.

All that said, if you can stretch your budget and get the HDF zoom then do so. It has an even wider field of view and feel like it's a better build quality. At the top end of the zoom is were the quality of the HDF zoom really shows, the HDF delivers goo dimages across the whole range.

If you get the chance why not go to a shop and try all three zooms for yourself.

postcardcv said:
I've tried and tested all three zoom eyepeice side by side and would not recommend buying the standard zoom... The IS pro zoom has a noticeably wider field of view than the standard zoom which makes quite a difference, it also has a twist up eye cup which is good if you wear glasses. All in all for the extra £24 it's well worth getting.

All that said, if you can stretch your budget and get the HDF zoom then do so. It has an even wider field of view and feel like it's a better build quality. At the top end of the zoom is were the quality of the HDF zoom really shows, the HDF delivers goo dimages across the whole range.

If you get the chance why not go to a shop and try all three zooms for yourself.

Thanks for the advice - I'll rule out the standard zoom. Just a choice between the HDF and the IS Pro. I'll try to find somewhere local that carries these and try them out.

Ta!

When I bought an IS60 I tried out the standard supplied zoom, but was very dissappointed with it, so settled for a 25x eyepiece which was much better for this small scope. Not to mention cheaper. Have you considered 2 fixed mag lens's?

Ps. my IS60 with 25x plus stay-on-case (which its been in from new) plus tripod is now for sale for a very reasonable price as I've now upgraded. If you are interested PM me.

Steve Jones said:
When I bought an IS60 I tried out the standard supplied zoom, but was very dissappointed with it, so settled for a 25x eyepiece which was much better for this small scope. Not to mention cheaper. Have you considered 2 fixed mag lens's?

Ps. my IS60 with 25x plus stay-on-case (which its been in from new) plus tripod is now for sale for a very reasonable price as I've now upgraded. If you are interested PM me.

Am interested - can't work out how to send pm's!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back