• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (1 Viewer)

Tim's "Sharpie Studies" are a real inspiration. Painting loose has never been a strong point of mine. I decided to try to attempt something a little more "free" by limiting my time. I did a few loose washes (by my standards) and then pulled out the crow quills and inked over to sharpen up a little bit. I thought this might strike a compromise between detail and loose, while cutting the overall finished painting time down by 1/2 to 2/3. It was a lot of fun so I'll try a few more.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Redbud
5x7 inches Transparent Watercolor and Ink
Arches 140 lb HP paper

Attachments

• RBgrosRedBud.jpg
    RBgrosRedBud.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 67
The RBG's a stunner, Matty. Following in the footsteps of TW may seem extremely daunting, but you've pulled this off with aplomb. Right, I'm ready to have a go!

Russ

Another experiment with the watercolor and ink. Tried to keep things very fast and fresh.

Baltimore Oriole and Redbud
Transparent Watercolor and Ink on Arches 140lb HP Paper
5.5 x 7.5 inches

Attachments

• orioleRedBudL.jpg
    orioleRedBudL.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 61
Wow, great work, Matt! I've always liked pen and wash work, and the Baltimore Oriole is just extremely well done. As are the dragonflies, and the frog!

Thanks! Working on a timber rattler in watercolor/ink now. To many scales to go terribly fast. Still trying to keep from going overboard and keep it somewhat "loose"

I got a little time to wrap up the timber rattler.

Transparent watercolor and Ink
Arches 140lb HP paper
5x7 inches

Attachments

• TRattlerL.jpg
    TRattlerL.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 71
Just superb! Seeing this image brought back the first time I was hiking as a teenager and was in the process of taking one more step which would have landed right square in the middle of a coiled rattler like this fellow. I jumped back about six feet and took some time to calm down and give the reptile a wide berth when I continued on. Now, living out west and taking annual raft trips through high desert country, rattlers are pretty ho-hum - we expect to see and hear them ever trip. Of course, ours are not Timber Rattlesnakes, but they are still impressive. Great job here!

way cool Matty, love how you left out some detail as the snake goes back in the picture plane, gives it a more painterly feel

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back