• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 terra ed or sightron II blue sky (1 Viewer)

I am new on the forum but have been reading as often as I can. I searched for information comparing these two bins but was unsuccessful so I thought I may ask if any had compared the two. I was able to get a pair of terra ed for $200 and was wondering if there was something that may be considered a better value than the zeiss terra ed at or around that price point, in the event I am not satisfied with the terras. I have had only a small bit of time to use them thus far and it was a very bright day so it is difficult to know at this point if I will keep them. This will be my glove box bino. I have the Maven B3 and really like them but wanted another binocular in similar size for the glovebox

This thread speaks to your question.

I have not compared the Sightron II and Terra ED binoculars, but I do have the Sightron II 8x32 and Maven B3 8x30. The Sightron was my primary birding binocular before I purchased the B3, but it is now my car binocular.

I used the Sightron for the first time today after many weeks with the Maven B3 and the Maven B2 9x45. We were traveling, and I remembered we were driving past an excellent site near Oxnard, CA. I actually thought the mechanical differences were more striking than the optical differences. I missed the fast focus of the Mavens; the Sightron was much slower and not as precise. Also, I'm now used to a hinge with much more tension that the Sightron II, so I had to be careful not to change the IPD inadvertently. Yet I like the feel in hand and general handling of the Sightron. I was happy to have the Sightron with me and enjoyed the views.

Hello Waumpuscat,

I am unable to write about the qualities of the two binoculars. However, I can write that Zeiss has been around for many years and Zeiss has good customer service. Zeiss Sports Optics is part of large optical and engineering firm. A lifetime guarantee may refer to your lifetime but it cannot exceed the life of the company which produced the product.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I have tried the Sightron and it is a nice binocular, the strap lugs are
one thing that bothers.

I have a Zeiss Terra in 8x42, and it is very good in its price range.

I would recommend the Zeiss Terra 8x32, if I had the choice.

Jerry

I have both the Terra 8x32 and the Sightron BS II 8x32 (and also have the Terra 8x42 and 8x25). My personal preference is for the Sightron over the Terra in most ways except for size. I hadn't expected this to be so, as I get along rather well with my Terra 8x42s, but that's the way it seems to me.

Perhaps my Terra 8x32s aren't the best example (I may have a unit that's at the bottom of the curve, as it were) but I know my Sightrons are pretty much par for the course as I've had a previous unit that was much the same (a friend I'd lent them to asked to buy them) and have a Kenko equivalent that's also much the same aside from minor details of armour etc. Either my Sightron or Kenko unit (or both) seem to spend a lot of time lent out for short periods (eg. a spare pair for a walking companion) or longer stretches (my current Sightrons are with a friend's daughter who is travelling overseas). Everyone who uses them seems to like them well enough.

...Mike

Well, I sent the Terra ed back. I don't know, I just couldn't find them as very keepable. I would throw up my B3 8x30 and there were so much difference in the view and clarity that I thought I may just save up and buy another binocular closer to that price point. I didn't expect them to be as good as the Maven but I thought they may be more in line with something that I would like to keep in the glove box but I think I may try the Sightron next with appropriate expectations. I go back and forth on it but I think I will try the sightron to know for sure.

Hello Waumpuscat,

I am unable to write about the qualities of the two binoculars. However, I can write that Zeiss has been around for many years and Zeiss has good customer service. Zeiss Sports Optics is part of large optical and engineering firm. A lifetime guarantee may refer to your lifetime but it cannot exceed the life of the company which produced the product.

I'm not sure I share your enthusiasm for Zeiss Customer Service, Arthur, but you are completely right about "lifetime guarantees", a point well known to the unhappy owners of VEB Carl Zeiss Jena binoculars. Given the cost of the Sightron II, it's hard to go wrong, and I wouldn't let warranty concerns be the deciding factor. I am more than pleased with my Sightron II and have never been especially impressed with the Zeiss Terra binoculars I have handled in stores over the years.

I have the Kenko version of the Sightron,and although i cant speak about C service for sightron,the kenko C service in Spain was amazing through the spanish distributor,EVEN having purchased my bins in USA..my experience with the terra ED 8x42 was limited to a fast test,but the view didnt impress me right away,and although solidly made it felt like a brick compared with the kenko..the kenko is a super deal and i think the sightron and all the different brands that sell this model are quite nicely made binocs as well...kenko is the maker of all these models ,i think ,and it is not a small company with no experience either..i think hoya-ricoh-pentax etc are in the game here in the
making of what can be called a budget wonder

I looked for the Sightron BSII series and I can't find a thing. They don't seem to have a website. I found the Sightron Blue Sky SII...is that what you all are talking about?

Wampuscat and I seem to be in the same boat....kinda. I too am looking around for lower priced binos in the 8x32 or 8x42 configuration. Naturally I want to get as good as I can get for the money. Since I am looking sooner than I thought I would, I didn't have time to save some money to be able to spend more on a better bino. I need to pick up an 8X kinda soon, but don't know what to get. When I start looking and reading, it doesn't take long at all and I will have 20 different binos listed on the page.

So, if you all could clear up the Sightron binos and which ones you all are referring to, I'd like to check them out. If you have any other binos in the 8X power that are very nice for not that much money, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for the help..

OP....Sorry, I didn't mean to hiJack your thread.

Larry

Larry,

Here is a link to the Sightron Blue Sky II 8X32 web page.

https://sightronusa.com/index.php/product/siibl32/

Sightron has had the specs wrong for years and seem to have no desire to fix it.

Weight without strap is 17 oz.
FOV is 7.5 degrees (as shown on the focus knob cap), which is 394 ft at a 1,000 yards.

This thread will tell you everything you would ever want to know about the Sightron Blue Sky II 8X32.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793

Cost is generally around $170, sometimes about $15 less.

Another option to consider in an 8X32 for under $200 is the Leupold BX-3 Mojave on sale now at Cabela's for $199.99.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/LEUP...categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=leupold+mojave

(This may go to the Viglink page. if so, search the page for ways to continue on to the Cabela's page.)

It no longer shows on the Leupold site so it may be discontinued, thus possibly the Cabela's sale. This binocular appears to be the same as the Cabela's Guide, which I have. Overall, I think it is better than the Sightron and it would be my choice since it is not much more money. Actually, the Mojave/Guide is an amazingly good binocular, especially at the sale price.

Here is a thread about the Guide. There are also some threads on Leupold.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=332112&highlight=Guide

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back