• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

photographing birds at feeders (1 Viewer)

abp

Hi Guys
A bit of help please, I bought an a330 fuji digital camera which has a 3x zoom, my feeders are about 10ft to 15ft away. I could get nearer by sitting under the tree which is to the left of the feeders.
I am pondering on the idea of either getting a Fuji S5000 which has a 10x optical zoom or to buy a non digital Canon 300v which has a 28-90ef lens as well as a 75 -300 ef lens also for £259.
But I would have to buy film, then just get the negatives back to put on my PC via my scanner which can do slides or negatives which would cost me money each time.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Brian Pemberton

abp said:
Hi Guys
A bit of help please, I bought an a330 fuji digital camera which has a 3x zoom, my feeders are about 10ft to 15ft away. I could get nearer by sitting under the tree which is to the left of the feeders.
I am pondering on the idea of either getting a Fuji S5000 which has a 10x optical zoom or to buy a non digital Canon 300v which has a 28-90ef lens as well as a 75 -300 ef lens also for £259.
But I would have to buy film, then just get the negatives back to put on my PC via my scanner which can do slides or negatives which would cost me money each time.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Brian Pemberton

Go with the Fuji S5000. I have one, and I'm very happy and impressed with it. You can also get a telephoto lens for it, which will really improve the zoom...I can't say enough about this camera. The lens cost about $150.00 (sorry, don't know how to convert)...You can take a look at my gallery for some pics taken with the Fuji...

Mike

At that distance I'd say you need at least a 10x optical zoom camera - preferably with a converter lens attached as weather suggests.

As well as the Fuji, Olympus do the 10x 7** series and Panasonic do the 12x DMC-FZ* series with the advantage of an Image Stabiliser. The Olympus and Sony converters are popular with these cameras.

Ah... now I understand the "hide" thread from before.

I'm no camera expert, but I recently received an Oly C750 UZ (one of the ones Ian mentioned above) and my fedder are 15 to 20 feet from the house, and I am able to get pretty decent shots. I think they are available for under 300 quid now.

I was going to advise that you also buy a converter (which happens to be a 1.7 for the 750) so I went back to check your budget, and notice that you already own a digicam.

Is there not some suitable converter you can buy for that? Might be worth checking out.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back