• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The end of compact flash for the mid range? (1 Viewer)

2nd_winter

Books are not just to prop up your bed!
Hi All, I whiled a way a bit of time a few days ago I decided to see if any DSLR's that are for sale in the UK (new) for under £1,000.00 took Compact Flash and the simple answer is no! unless we pay near pro price's for a camera body when cameras like 40D 50D etc. pack up its Sd cards!

Nothing wrong with SD cards ..., unless one has a pile of CF cards that will become obsolete when looking into buying a new camera.

For several years now all new Nikons below the D300 use SD cards, the D300s had it as option, and looking at the new D4 suddenly a new card format pops up.

Nice thing is that prices for SD cards dropped a lot since it became a mass product, and there are now also plenty of faster versions available.

Pin damage has always been a concern to me as I somewhat rely on CF cards (I tend to stick with my old kit), however, has anyone actually suffered from this problem on a modern camera?

Personally the cheaper, smaller & lighter the card the better.

Why are the professionals still going to be using CF (some will have CF & SD slots) while low to midrange cameras (new) are now SD, the Pros must have a good reason for their choice of storage card?

SD is cheaper so is a perfect match for the lower end bodies. Not without its flaws though, I have a 4GB SD card which is effectively useless because the tab broke off while in the lock position and now I can't delete images off it.

Honestly though I don't know what advantages CF has over SD. If you compare these two 'identical' models the SD is actually 5MB faster then the CF and half the price.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sandisk-64gb-600x-udma-extreme-pro-compact-flash/p1033565
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sandisk-64gb-extreme-pro-95mb-sec-sdxc-card/p1527828

Why are the professionals still going to be using CF (some will have CF & SD slots) while low to midrange cameras (new) are now SD, the Pros must have a good reason for their choice of storage card?

Was there not some controversy about the SD specifications including provisions for digital rights management?
Perhaps that leaves CF as slightly less constrained.

If you invested in CF cards at the early days of digital photography they are still potentially viable.

Smart media, XD, memory stick etc. were 'improvements' , but didn't last.

At one time CF had advantages in memory size and speed, however, times change and I guess their chief advantages are that they are physically more resistant to being stepped on and have more space to write on (can be very useful).

Photographing wildlife is often easier than the human jungle, where the obvious ruggedness of CF is reassuring, I had an slr with a nice dent in the pentaprism where someone threw a bottle at me once, on the other hand Eric Hosking lost an eye from a bird attack, so perhaps they both have their difficulties....

Yes they are all valued points, Maybe that's it CF cards are harder to lose more robust & very fast write speeds. I went on Sandisk & kingston website & what info I could get to compare CF to SD seem to agree with forums comments.

since I have CF cards from the dawn of digital time and they are still going strong if I start saving now when my D50 dies I'll have the money for a camera Body that will still take my vast collection of CF Cards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back