• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick question re SLC 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Al Downie

Did the SLC 8x30 Neu retail the label "8x30 WB" on the bridge? How would one distinguish the Neu model from the previous?

Thanks,

Al

Did the SLC 8x30 Neu retail the label "8x30 WB" on the bridge? How would one distinguish the Neu model from the previous?

Thanks,

Al

There were several prior SLC models, starting with the Mk1 (not waterproof, no phase coating) to the MkIII (waterproof, phase coated, and SWAROBRIGHT prism coatings). The last MkIII was optically identical to the Neu except for armor design. I don't know if the "8x30 WB" marking was retained on the 8x30 Neu, but the armor design makes it distinctive.

Ed

Thanks,

Al

The last ones made in 2010 (I have one) have "8x30 WB" printed on the diopter adjustment wheel which is on the top of the hinge.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks both. Saw a dusty-but-otherwise-clean version for sale in the auction site, described as SLC Neu, but showing the WB badge. Was tempted, but price, reviews and the focus-wheel position eventually put me off. A close shave though - my finger was hovering over the 'bid' button right up until the last second, and it went for less than I would have bid if I'd been feeling frisky...

Cheers,

Al

How are he SLC neu as compared to some more recent 8x30 or 32s.. Like the Cabelas instinct 8x32hd (meoptas). Or the zeiss conquest HD..

How are he SLC neu as compared to some more recent 8x30 or 32s.. Like the Cabelas instinct 8x32hd (meoptas). Or the zeiss conquest HD..

I haven't tried the Meopta HD clone or the Conquest HD, but I'm sensitive to CA, and I found that the 8x30 SLCneu controls CA fairly well for a bin w/out ED glass. There is some, but it's minimal and only on high contrast objects. However, today, bins half the price of the SLCneu have ED glass.

The biggest difference between the SLCneu and other 30/32mm roofs I've tried is the SLC's objective side focuser. The knob is somewhat small compared to "new" 8x30/32 roofs such as the Nikon 8x30 M7 and the 8x32 Terra ED, and you have to turn the focuser with your ring finger because it's on the other side of the bridge. Add to that Swaro's infamous harder-to-turn-in-one-direction-than-the-other focusing mechanism, and I found the SLC rather cumbersome to use for birding (Bob and his wife don't, saving Bob another post about this). The objective side focuser can take some getting used to, some can adjust to it, some can't, I couldn't.

The SLC is lightweight (~21 oz.), but it's longer than the Meopta, Conquest, Terra ED and Nikon M7. It's close focus is also longer than the Meopta or Conquest (13 ft.). I tried a 2009 model and the AR coatings were VG, similar in color balance to the SLC-HD. A bit "warm" but not very "warm" like all the Nikons mentioned.

Being that the 8x30 SLCneu was made with hunters in mind, it is more robustly built than most mid-priced modern birding bins in the 30/32mm format. The 8x32 Conquest HD might be as robust if it's built like its bulletproof (literally) 42mm sibling, and it sells for about the same price as the 2009 anniversary edition SLCneu (~$800).

If birding is your primary use, I think you'd be better served with the Meopta or Conquest or even the Terra ED or M7, because their close focus and EP-side focusers are better suited for birding.

Brock

Last edited:
I have the SLC 8X30WB, I do like it and in respect of newer binoculars I can only compare it with my ZEISS Victory FL 8X32. Basically, without getting into technical detail, The Victory has a wider FOV, and is a bit brighter, but the SLC gives much better color depth to my eye and feels better in the hand. As mentioned above, I find the focus wheel being at the front a bit clumsy. But I prefer my older ZEISS BGA T*P 8X30 over both of them, but thats just me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back