• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: Tract Toric 8x42 (2 Viewers)

"Too often an education goes to the head and not to the mind."—Bill Cook

Each new generation of scientists proves the last generation of scientists to be foolish. College is a place where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed. :cat:

Bill

Amen to that. I had a college professor who once said that a good education serves to show us what we don't know. That always stayed with me somehow.

Amen to that. I had a college professor who once said that a good education serves to show us what we don't know. That always stayed with me somehow.

I spent 10 years in college, have 2 BAs, an AA, an AAS, and a bunch of certificates. Yet, I sit here waiting for the sales of my book to climb so I can eat out a few times, pay for a big iMac repair, and buy a few of my books to sell locally. I have NO job, NO retirement, and NO pension from the government after 23 years of federal service.

IQ does not trump SMARTS.

If I were a person who would bend the truth for the almighty dollar, I could be a rich man today. But, the big guys in optics stay away from me ... in droves. Captain’s was the only place where I could live my philosophies. But, since they were bought out, virtually everything I worked so hard to build has gone the way for the dodo. :cat:

Such is life.

Bill

Nixterdemus, Is the basis of your argument that it is more accurate to measure 3000' with a 60' ruler than a 30' one? Or that a calculated fov error induced by magnification above or below 8x could be reduced by measuring 'less'? Or maybe both. I had trouble following your reasoning, but that's what I get out of your comments.
Obviously Steve is assuming that the magnification is as stated when measuring the FOV.

Bill

I never actually addressed your inquiry per se. W/o reading it again I'm going to attempt to explain the point I was trying to make at that time.

The fov method Steve is using, by my guesstamation, is roughly twice as close as needed for 8X. He argues 8X is 8X. However, he is reading the tape to determine fov/field curvature of the edge & its influence on the view.

To me this represents an advantage/bias in favour of increased fov. By being twice as close you have a much better view than you would at 1X. Twice as much as a matter of fact.

Let's take the specs that Steve determined. Eight power w/fov of 404'. By him reading the tape twice as close as needed he is in essence looking at 30' through a 16X bin w/404' fov.

How can you determine the fov for an 8X if indeed you're viewing at 16X? I have no idea what size tape he's using except that he is reading 1/16" until the point of about 1" towards the ends and he seems to be twice as close as needed to read those marks. It isn't so much the 1/16" marks as it is viewing them through the field curvature.

Then add to that the 7' close focus, instead of spec'd 8' along w/404' instead of spec'd' 377' and perhaps these variables, perhaps others as well, combine to make a difference/explain somewhat the large fov discrepancy of this particular model. Maybe not.

He says he can see through the curve enough to count that as fov. Yet, if he backed up as much as I think he should/needs to for his maximum distance to resolve 1/16" mark then he might not see so well through that curvature of the lens. It could be enough of a blur not to count as usable fov.

If at 30' w/8x bin he cannot distinguish 1/16" marks on a tape at roughly 1" from the ends then that would only compound if he read the tape from further back. You can still claim that fov, but I would contest the blur being usable. I consider it perhaps degraded to a point of not actually being within the fov.

Nothing against Steve or the fov method he employs. I'm sure most times for the most part that he is accurate. I'm not questioning his accuracy this time. Also, if he sees about an inch on each side of curve, at 30' w/8X, then surely Tract sees that as well.

That's why I mentioned that perhaps Tract spec'd 377' fov because they were assured that number fell well within the usable quality amount of fov. Not just the angle on the outside edge of the objective(s). Just a thought.

It doesn't matter as this is only a discussion of potential possibilities. I have no agenda to advance. Tract has already received accolades from Outdoor Life. As well apparently besides being well received for overall qualities it punches well above price point. They seem to have a leg up on a number of start-ups from over the past few years.

I view this sort of as an unsolved mystery. I'm leaning towards the butler w/candlestick, but I'm not sure what room in which he committed his vile act.

As always, YMMV ...

I spent a number of years in the academic world and then had an interesting several decades in the aerospace industry. In retirement I have again spent a little time affiliated with major universities. The only thing more terrible than academic politics is the politics of home owners associations and social clubs. My experience is that the viciousness of the politics is inversely proportional to the issues at stake.

This theorem would seem to hold for many threads in this forum as well.

I spent a number of years in the academic world and then had an interesting several decades in the aerospace industry. In retirement I have again spent a little time affiliated with major universities. The only thing more terrible than academic politics is the politics of home owners associations and social clubs. My experience is that the viciousness of the politics is inversely proportional to the issues at stake.

This theorem would seem to hold for many threads in this forum as well.

Yes, I can see your point. ;)

I spent 10 years in college, have 2 BAs, an AA, an AAS, and a bunch of certificates. Yet, I sit here waiting for the sales of my book to climb so I can eat out a few times, pay for a big iMac repair, and buy a few of my books to sell locally. I have NO job, NO retirement, and NO pension from the government after 23 years of federal service.

Bill

That grieves me and since I learned so much from your posts on this forum I am happy to sponsor you a dinner or chip in on the iMac repair. Will send PM for details.

That grieves me and since I learned so much from your posts on this forum I am happy to sponsor you a dinner or chip in on the iMac repair. Will send PM for details.

OFF TOPIC FOR SYNAPS AND OTHERS:

And what grieves me more is that while I have painted an ACCURATE PICTURE, I have obviously painted an equally MISLEADING PICTURE! I AM SO SORRY!!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME.

I live in a new house (downsized from the 3-story in Washington when we were raising 3 children) in a new neighborhood in the newest part of my town. I can drive all over town, every week, and still only gas my little truck once every SIX WEEKS. I can easily walk to my large, newly constructed, superbly appointed, all brick church and, by looking at my belly, one might tell I am getting more than my fair share of food.

By way of FURTHER explanation: book sales are going well. It launched on Amazon the last day of August. That day, it sold over $100. That was the magic number to get a check from Amazon (100USD, 100 GBP, or 100 EUR). But, and as they say it was a BIG butt, they took out $8 because I want to be paid by check. This meant my total dropped to $94 and did not qualify for a check in September. I had planned on using the money to buy some to sell locally and hand out to some who offered assistance with the book. We are now on October 26 and the check has yet to be cut. Frustrating, but not devastating. I hear it will be sent on the 29th.

The problems academically and federally are my own fault. I’ve always said, “Without health you HAVE nothing and without integrity you ARE nothing.” Holding to the latter can cost one financially. But, I view that as just a temporary thing. Anyway, I am working on both.

The biggest problem rests with the Office of the Exchequer—to whom I’ve been married for just shy of 40 years.

When we moved to Twin Falls from Western Washington, we knew she would be giving up $25K to teach here. But, we felt for the simpler life style, lesser traffic, and cheaper goods and services we could make it work. Then, with a house bought, a contract signed, and a 770-mile move finished they mentioned they had made a mistake in their calculations and that she would be getting $32K less. Ouch!

Now, after teaching 3rd grade for 2 years (yuck!) she is finally back to teaching high school Spanish ... in another town. Then, after signing a contract there, they mentioned to her—with temperatures in the mid-90s—that ONLY THE OFFICES have air conditioning! That, of course, was a side issue. With the gasoline and wear and tear of an additional commute, the highest insurance either of us have ever paid, and the additional work they place on her that was NEVER required in Washington State she is up to being shorted $36K and rising. I guess that’s why these paragons of intellectualism lord over a state that’s 49th out of 50 states in education. And the teacher’s unions in Idaho have teeth with the same strength as overcooked noodles. And I would ask the legislators “Would you like some cheese with that WHINE?”

Yep, things can get a little tight—and often are—but we are FAR short of needing Section 8 Housing, Food Stamps, or the Welfare Checks that I have apparently painted for some.

Just be thankful you are the kind of person who would be that concerned for others. I assure you that kind of thinking will pay big dividends down the road.

Bless you, :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
[OT] I am glad to read that things are manageable on your side. Perhaps I was jumping to conclusions a bit too quickly, but having read about your health issues in another thread and knowing that the safety net in the US is a tad less generous than we are used to in large parts of Europe, I was under the impression your financial concerns were extremely pressing. Furthermore I would not feel comfortable leeching a lot of knowledge from someone and then let him hang in financial difficulties while I enjoy my new toy.

[OT] I am glad to read that things are manageable on your side. Perhaps I was jumping to conclusions a bit too quickly, but having read about your health issues in another thread and knowing that the safety net in the US is a tad less generous than we are used to in large parts of Europe, I was under the impression your financial concerns were extremely pressing. Furthermore I would not feel comfortable leeching a lot of knowledge from someone and then let him hang in financial difficulties while I enjoy my new toy.

NOW HEAR THIS! (‘salty Navy talk, huh?)

Leech all you want. I’ve been trying to help my neighbors—and protect them from some know-nothing know-it-alls for a long time—and it has cost me greatly. But if you could surf 4 or 5 binocular forums you could find most everything in my book. That ticked off some of my would-be publishers who thought it not professional to GIVE away what could be SOLD. But, professional for whom? They just couldn’t wrap their greedy heads around wanting to help someone without charge.

The safety net in America is TOO GOOD ... for those who have never deserved it and don’t deserve it now. That makes it hard for those who really need and do deserve it. Some people in our country desire popularity and position so much they are eager to take from those who work and give to those who refuse to do so.

Winston Churchill said: “However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results.” I wish our legislators had a modicum of his reasoning power.

That is not a political statement, just the musings of a historian. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Steve C thank you very much for your excellent review of the Tract Toric 8x42. Having read all the replies I doubt that I would ever take the time to review any optics and post on here. I also notice someone trying to make a stupid political statement, I have done that in the past, Sorry David ! WJC thank you for all that you do as well.

Last edited:
Tract Toric QC Issues?

On the basis of favorable reviews here and elsewhere, I recently ordered a Tract Toric 8x42. I was able to compare it with Swarovski SLC, Zeiss Conquest, Vortex Razor, and Vanguard Endeavor II. In terms of optical quality to my eyes, only the SLC proved superior - by a small margin. And I decided the Swaro was not worth the much higher price. However, I ended up returning the Toric as "defective" because of the following issues. From most to least annoying:

1. The focus mechanism makes a clicking, then "sticky" sound when first moving it in either direction - and feel the focus itself does not begin to change until after that initial sound. There also might be a tiny amount of play in the focus wheel, but that is not really the issue.

2. The diopter wheel has several mm play. This I expected because others have commented about it. Not a big problem, but why?

3. The center hinge offers too little resistance to adjustment - wishing it were a bit stiffer. Also, a slight "sticky" sound when changing the distance between the barrels. (BTW the SLC made that noise, too.)

4. A distinct chemical-type odor, probably from the rubber armor. Most likely would dissipate eventually - no big deal.

I contacted Tract, and was told I should send them the binoculars. Instead, I opted for returning it to Amazon; and then later re-ordered another copy, hoping for a better outcome. Nope. It arrived today, and...exactly the same issues.

Has anyone had similar problems? Very frustrating, because it's the best view this side of $1,500 I've personally seen. Would like to keep it, but don't like noisy, balky mechanisms; these characteristics also tending to undermine my confidence in a trouble-free mechanical future for this model. Or am I just splitting hairs?

Looking forward to your comments.

I did not have any of those problems with my Tract Toric HD 8x42. It was perfect. Sorry to hear you experienced the same issues on two different samples.

Looking forward to your comments.

We have a 10x Toric. It does not exhibit any of the issues you describe. In fact, I consider it to be a very competent binocular.

When you re-ordered, did you re-order from Amazon? If so -- I have gotten items from Amazon that were obviously used, despite being advertised as new. Rather than ordering from Amazon, a company with many issues such as fake items and bad items that continue to be sold, perhaps you might do better if you order directly from Tract. Certainly Tracts customer service is as good as any other company that sells binoculars.

I had two Torics, the 8x and 10x both. Neither had any of the issues you describe. My advice is to NEVER just replace with a bulk order volume supplier. When you have an issue, you initially did the right thing, you called Tract. If you send that back to Amazon, Tract may well never get to see the binocular at all. Eventually we will see an extreme fire sale on the real cheap, like the Bushnell Legend M. If you send it to Tract, they will see the binocular and may well be able to learn something from what they find. It is just an anecdote wandering in the wilderness as it stands.

The only issue I had with the Toric was a somewhat wobbly eye cup when at maximum extension, which I mentioned in the review. There are some things where it can be seen that compromises were made, but nothing in the ones I had came anywhere close to deal killers. I tend to agree with Phil. They are a very competent binocular. I also agree with his receiving obviously used items from Amazon. As much stuff as that outfit sells, I envision mass chaos there.

If you think it is the best view on the down side of $1,500, then please send the second one back to Tract and let them deal with it. ;)

Last edited:
The sticky sound from the focus wheel and maybe even the click, might just be caused by the grease as the gear teeth separate from each other. Maybe if you try moving the focus wheel from one end of its travel to the other a few times you might spread the grease out a bit more and get rid of this effect.

Lee

I still find my 8x42 Toric to be fantastic. I have had zero issues with it.

I also have great experience with my Toric, the build and eyecups are
very well done.

Steve also has good advice, Amazon may not be a great place to
purchase, you sure don't want to end up with someone else's return.
I would go direct with this company, or from a trusted member preowned on
here, like I did.

Jerry

The only optics I purchased from Amazon were the EIIs, since only from Japan, at least they could be returned through Amazon if defected. I have looked at glass on Amazon, and when I had a question regarding a specific bino, the web site stated that they did not have any binos and were hacked. Another was for a SE 8X32, again the website/owner stated that he never has Nikon Bins for sale. I agree with Jerry, best to buy direct from manufacturers or from good trusted members on here.

A.W.

Thank you for the feedback and advice from everyone. I had already tried to get the focus noises to go away by running the mechanism - which did not change the problem - and of course would not fix the play in the wheel. I did inform Tract of the issues, and sent them the serial numbers along with my concerns and observations. Tract replies to emails almost immediately; they are courteous and helpful. Really would like to give them the business, but got spooked by two problem units in a row, so I'm looking elsewhere. Have it narrowed down to Zeiss Conquest and Vortex Razor in 8x42. Too bad they cost 25-30% more...and frankly I like the ergonomics of both over the Toric - but of course that is a subjective matter. By the way, B&H still has *Made In Japan* Razors for sale - thought Razors were now being made in China. Again, thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back