• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushlark id help - Indian or Jerdon's? Bangalore, India (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Please help id-ing this bushlark.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paneendra/38446496751/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paneendra/35417184145

The tail looks long, underside pale (or is it the light),legs shorter, hind claw not as normally long for a Jerdon's - all pointing to an Indian, but something about the bill makes me feel it is too long for an Indian. Can you please help?

Thanks
Ajay

Hi Ajay, would not Mirafra affinis be the default taxa for the region of Bangalore?

Hi Ajay, would not Mirafra affinis be the default taxa for the region of Bangalore?

Thanks.

In Bangalore, the ranges of the two overlap. These are snapshots showing sightings of the two species from 'eBird', the first image is that of the Indian bushlark and the second, Jerdon's.

Attachments

• Indian.jpg
    Indian.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
  • jerdon's.jpg
    jerdon's.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 14
Against Indian
-The supercilium does not seem very prominent especially towards the front of the eye.
-To me the hind-claw seems longer than the hind toe. This perhaps is the strongest argument against Indian.
-The rufous on the wing does not seem very prominent (though this could be due to the lighting maybe).

For Indian
-Somewhat paler upperparts.

I am tilting towards Jerdon's Bushlark.

Against Indian
-The supercilium does not seem very prominent especially towards the front of the eye.
-To me the hind-claw seems longer than the hind toe. This perhaps is the strongest argument against Indian.
-The rufous on the wing does not seem very prominent (though this could be due to the lighting maybe).

For Indian

Me too. The bill and hind claw look too long, and the super isn't distinct enough.

Against Indian

For Indian

Thanks a lot. The bill looked very much that of a Jerdon's to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back