• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Eye Shutter Release Type B (1 Viewer)

I have ordered an Eagle Eye Wing 4500 for my Coolpix 4500. I was going to order the Eagly Eye Shutter Release, which mounts to the Wing but it says cable not included. Whats a suitable cable for this mount and where do I get it?

Any standard cable release will work with this. You can order one from Eagle Eye at the same time as the shutter release arm, or puchase seperately at any photography outlet.

I bought the release cable from Eagle Eye and it lasted only a few days. Luckily a found a better one with my old equipment from the 70's.

From what I've seen, EagleEye's cable-release is short and poor! but it does fit their bracket.... which doesn't seem to be that friendly (the thread) with standard cable-releases. You can get a standard cable into the EagleEye version but it's a struggle, you can end up a bit short with the release probe not quite reaching the camera's button.

I used an old air-release type I had sitting in my camera bag since the late '60s. Works like a charm! No problems with screwing it into attachment.

The older wire cable release wasn't up to the task and refused to give consistent results.

I use the Egleeye shutter release arm,with a Jessops cable release I find the probe that fires the shutter works best if the set-up is positioned slightly off centre to the shutter button.

Regards Stevo.

stevo said:
I use the Egleeye shutter release arm,with a Jessops cable release I find the probe that fires the shutter works best if the set-up is positioned slightly off centre to the shutter button.

Regards Stevo.

Im not familiar at all with cable releases or the eagle eye arm. Did the jessop cable you use fit without modification or maybe just slight modification? If so can you advise what jessop cable you have? I found the following.

Jessops Cable Releases
Vinyl With Time Lock
12" JESCR12VINYL $10-75
20" JESCR20VINYL $11-65
28" JESCR28VINYL $11-65

They also listed
Professional
20" JESCR20P - $41-10
40" JESCR40P - $51-90

Im hoping I dont have to go with the pro.

Hi Widowmaker

I`ve just had a look at my cable release it`s 12" ,no modifications were needed.Just make sure when you screw the release cable into the arm that the threaded part is lined up with the hole properly otherwise the probe jams.

Regards Stevo.

I have the EagleEye system and use several of my shutter cables with it, all work fine. The hole machined into their shutter arm where the cable screws in is tapered ( this is why some tips do not screw fully down into the hole, but that is how it is meant to be ) I understand that it has an industry standard thread so that it will accept a wide range of cable tip shapes. I believe that only some of the USA cables have been a little too short to actually fire the camera button.

Regards
Chrisann

Hi chrisann

I see this is your first post.
Welcome to BF on behalf of the Moderators and Admin, have a look around and make yourself at home. Why not introduce yourself formally in the ‘say Hello’ Forum.

Regarding mechanical cable releases, I would suggest getting one that is at least a foot long. I tend to have the tripod arm in one hand and the release in the other, but also use this hand to adjust the focus wheel on the scope. If you have a scope were the wheel is near the centre and not on the top of the scope you need a longer cable to enable you to do both things with one hand.

Rich (moderator)

redwing said:

Regarding mechanical cable releases, I would suggest getting one that is at least a foot long. I tend to have the tripod arm in one hand and the release in the other, but also use this hand to adjust the focus wheel on the scope. If you have a scope were the wheel is near the centre and not on the top of the scope you need a longer cable to enable you to do both things with one hand.

Rich (moderator)

I agree that you don't want a cable that is too short, but there are other ways of holding the gear. I hold both the cable and the handle in my right hand and focus with the left. I hold the end of the cable like a syringe with my thumb and first two fingers, and press the end of the handle against my palm with the other two fingers. When I have the scope aimed correctly, I let go of the handle to minimize vibration but the cable is still in my fingers, ready to shoot.

Glen

Thanks for the info. Its ashame that Nikons remote for this camera has such a poor track record otherwise I would have ordered it instead. I got my cable release arm in but my new camera was defective so its already off to Nikon for repair or replacement.

As for holding a cable-release when your two hands are needed elsewhere (chasing active birds)... I put the cable-release plunger in my mouth and operate it via my tongue. I've been doing that for a couple of years and haven't lost a tooth yet!
I do have some foam rubber at the base of the plunger

I recommend 18 inch cable-release as a minimum... too short and you can end up tugging at the camera and creating the camera movement that you're trying to stop.

I'll be receiving Eagle-Eye's new stand-alone cable-release bracket next week..... so keep an eye out for a report.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back