• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon CP 4500 MC-EU1 (1 Viewer)

To all of those that know..... is this remote really worth having? My hubby is new to digiscoping and thinks the remote will aid him greatly but I have my doubts, there are so many negative comments about this,Wish Nikon would 'sit up' and listen, it's a big expence for it to be rubbish. Any views will be appreciated, Thanks.

Hi, I have one of these and I am very happy with it. Having said that I think a lot of people have had problems with them and I think a mechanical release is probably your best bet.

Most that use the Nikon cable release seem to have problems,a far better option is a Jessops digital camera bracket and cable release,about £32 i have used this set up for almost a year with no problems.

There is a short and entirely accurate technical term to describe the MC-EU1. Unfortunately, I do not feel able to repeat it in this family environment

I have used one for many months with no major problems but I am aware of the majority opinion and probably wouldn't buy one now. Just waiting for this one to go wrong now.

rednineball said:
To all of those that know..... is this remote really worth having? My hubby is new to digiscoping and thinks the remote will aid him greatly but I have my doubts, there are so many negative comments about this,Wish Nikon would 'sit up' and listen, it's a big expence for it to be rubbish. Any views will be appreciated, Thanks.

Tell him to take it back and get a refund while he still can. There is no doubt that a mechanical release if far more reliable.

brianhstone said:
I have used one for many months with no major problems .......

How many just out of interest?
I loved mine but it packed up after 12 months never to work again.

Rich

Last edited:
OH oh. I bought mine because:
a) I couldn't be bothered with those cumbersome mechanical screw-on devices.
b) The zoom function is useful.
So far so good but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
David

Waste of money for what you get. Nikon really overcharge on some accessories and this is one of them. I like my mechanical setup. Willing to sell my MC-EU1 to any one interested.

I have a Nikon cable release and have no problems.The first one was a bit iffy,but sent it back and Nikon sent a new one(it was still under warranty)and have no problems with this one .It is fine.Perhaps slows things down a little,but seems to work okay.I think I am perhaps in the minority of users.If the remote works okay,it is good.

I found that mine would stop my CP4500 from powering on properly. It would also jam "on" when taking photos in continuous mode. I replaced it with an EagleEye mechanical release. This works 100 percent of the time, and I can also use the shutter release with my D100.

Regards,
Graham.

I weigh in with the negatives: I have the most recent firmware in the cp4500, use the Remote, and there are problems with resonse time, hangups, lockups.... I got mine for $89 US and I think a manual release is going to be my next step.

IF it worked consistently -- I'd love it!

I've had TWO MCEU-Is go wrong -DON'T REPEAT DON'T waste your money. I have now got a (in my opinion) MUCH better electronic cable release from Hrabortronics.com (for which see their website). An excellent service - I cannot praise them highly enough!

Kevin

Sorry! Spelling mistake!

That should have read

http://www.harbortronics.com

I have the Digisnap 2000.

Kevin

birder said:
I've had TWO MCEU-Is go wrong -DON'T REPEAT DON'T waste your money. I have now got a (in my opinion) MUCH better electronic cable release from Hrabortronics.com (for which see their website). An excellent service - I cannot praise them highly enough!

Kevin

Gee, all the negative comments make me feel bad about saying...I like mine, use it all the time and feel it definitely improves quality and quantity of the images I classify as "Keepers". Yep, it's costly but so are most things associated with digiscoping, e.g., adaptors ((excluding SDA-100)). Oh well, to each his own. Should mention my remote is being used with Nikon CP-990.

Last edited:
I ran a three poll questions recently on the Digiscoping Birds forum (Yahoo Groups). It seems that there is a split in satisfaction with this device and that satisfaction is more likely if you purchased it more recently. There is some thinking that perhaps there was a design change and that would explain the better results more recently. So if I were to buy one, I'd buy from a vendor that turns over a lot of inventory in the hopes that I would get a "new" design - if such a thing really exists.

How well does the Nikon Remote Cord MC-EU1 work?

Its crap. The engineers were obviously drunk. 4 18.18%
It works sorta. But very frustrating 7 31.82%
It works but has occasional problems. 8 36.36%
It works just as described with no problems 3 13.64%
Its fabulous. The engineers posses high genius 0 0.00%

.....................................................................................
If you are unhappy with your MC-EU1, when did you purchase it?
2004 3 27.27%
2003 2 18.18%
2002 5 45.45%
2001 1 9.09%
Last Century 0 0.00%

......................................................................................
If you are happy with your Nikon Remote Cord MC-EU1, when did you purchase it?
2004 2 22.22%
2003 7 77.78%
2002 0 0.00%
2001 0 0.00%
Last Century 0 0.00%

The other explanation for that I suppose it that it just hasn’t gone wrong yet.
I will admit I found no mayor problem with mine for several months then all of a sudden it started playing up and finally gave up all together. Anyone who bought one in 2003 would be lucky if they get another two months out of it…… in my opinion.

Rich

I too have the Digisnap 2000. While expensive, it really is a better operating unit than the Nikon remote. It's functionality is highly customizable from a pc via a serial com connection... Harbortronics has quite a bit of information on the unit available on their website...

I do lik ethis unit MUCH better.

Well, mine packed up totally after about nine months of use. Despite the fact it was out of guarantee Nikon Singapore replaced it free of charge. I'm now hoping for the best with the new one. A pal kindly arranged a mechanical remote for me so I have a standby.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back