• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x32 vs. 8.5x42 EL (1 Viewer)

FrankD

Would anyone that owns/has owned these binoculars care to do a comparison between them...both optically and mechanically? I have the opportunity to purchase one or both and would like to hear some experiences before pulling the proverbial trigger either way.

Responses are much appreciated. Thankyou.

I have both. The barrels of the 8x32 are narrower which leaves more room between them for my large hands/fingers, so I like its ergonomics better. Overall though, I like the 8.5x42 better because of its easier view due to the larger exit pupil and, for me as a glasses wearer, longer eye-relief. The 8.5x42 has less curvature of field, and it definitely has less chromatic aberration. The 8x32 is lighter in weight but it is big (long) for an 8x32 so I use it as if it were a full-sized bino (For me, the 8x32 is my quick focus EL because my full size one has the original slow focus) and choose other 8x32 when selecting a bino for travel/hiking.

--AP

Alexis,

Thank you. That is the type of information I was looking for. To sort of summarize from some of your comments...you would choose the larger model because of the slightly better image quality? What struck me most about the smaller version was the superlative ergonomics. I have to admit I was expecting the 32 mm to be somewhat "dull" in comparison to some of the other 32 mm high end glass I have owned but I just don't see that to be the case. I have been reading back through some of the threads in the forum and it "seems" that Swaro made some type of upgrade to the 32 mm EL's optics since its original introduction. Do you have an experience with this?

Thanks.

No one has ever established that Swarovski made any substantive improvements to the 8x32 EL. I've certainly never found them lacking, but I didn't play with them enough (or do any side by side tests) with them when they first came out to weigh in on that question myself. My 8.5x42 is fairly early production and my 8x32 is of fairly recent vintage. I find the 8x32 EL very impressive optically. It seems to have all, or nearly all, of the brightness and color neutrality of the Zeiss 8x32 FL, without that model's tendency to accentuate haze (maybe the EL does filter out some blue light without compromising the overall color balance much? The FL almost seems blue biased to me, but maybe that's because so many binos have a substantial yellow/red bias). If not for the substantial chromatic aberration in the 8x32 EL off-axis, I'd consider it optically better than the FL. As it is, it's a draw. In direct comparison to the Leica 8x42 Ultravid (nonHD), I like the 8x32 EL equally well optically. My 8.5x42 EL isn't as color neutral as the 8x32 (some reds seem subdued), but I like it better overall as I've mentioned before. Some combination of extra magnification, greater weight (helps be hold it steady), and ease of use (longer eye-relief, bigger exit pupil) allows me to consistently see finer details more easily than I can with the 8x32 EL, or for that matter, any other ~8x bino handheld.

--AP

Alexis,

Thank you for the detailed response. It is funny you should mention that "blue bias" as I thought much the same thing today when switching back and forth between the 7x42 FL and the 8.5x42 EL.

FWIW I decided to just pick up both and compare them further on my own. It seems that all of your comments are spot on though in the comparison. I have to admit that the ergonomics of the 32 mm are simply fantastic. I cannot imagine a binocular feeling better to pick up and hold in my hand. Couple that with the image it provides. In many ways it seems identical to that of its larger counterpart. The eye relief, field of view and focusing speed seem just about perfect for my taste (the latter may be a hair faster than perfect but I am not complaining). I do notice slightly more off-axis CA with the smaller model but it isn't distracting enough for me to become less enamored with the overall image quality.

I think I may have found my favorite bin at this point. ;)

Thank you.

Thanks Bob. I had read the review before but it is nice to be refreshed a bit in the fine points. I do wonder though if the 8x32 ELs which were reviewed faired as they did because they were one of the earlier models? I thought I saw a post somewhere in this forum where Kimmo went back and said that some of the 32 ELs he looked at recently seemed to be at the sharpness and contrast level of all the other Alpha 32 mm on the market. I am having a difficult time finding any fault in their image quality in that regard though, admittedly, I have neither a 32 mm FL nor a 32 mm Nikon in my possession at the present.

I will see if I can dig it up.

"...I thought I saw a post somewhere in this forum where Kimmo went back and said that some of the 32 ELs he looked at recently seemed to be at the sharpness and contrast level of all the other Alpha 32 mm on the market."

Absolutely, I'm sure I remember seeing that! I had a similar experience. First time I saw the 32 Els I was a little disappointed, especially compared to the 42s. But a year or so ago I tested the top three 32s side by side and found the Els were clearly the best for my eyes, with notably improved contrst and resolution compared to earlier examples.

Dave C

I have been trying to use my Leica 7x42 for butterflies, a new interest, and find that the close focus an issue. How is the close focus on the Swarovski's?

This will sound silly but my right knee is a little shot and I have been birding with a walking stick lately to make sure I stay upright. How about one-handed use?

Thanks Mike

"...I thought I saw a post somewhere in this forum where Kimmo went back and said that some of the 32 ELs he looked at recently seemed to be at the sharpness and contrast level of all the other Alpha 32 mm on the market."

I think this is a Birdforum myth in the making. I'm happy to be corrected if someone can find Kimmo's post to this effect (or Kimmo himself chips in).

Sean

I have been trying to use my Leica 7x42 for butterflies, a new interest, and find that the close focus an issue. How is the close focus on the Swarovski's?

This will sound silly but my right knee is a little shot and I have been birding with a walking stick lately to make sure I stay upright. How about one-handed use?

Thanks Mike
Mike, my 8x32 EL's close-focus to 1.7 metres. They are definitely "one-hand" bins, very comfortable and light. The open bridge/wrap-around barrel make them very steady. I also have a pair of Nikon 8x32 HGL (LXL)...I don't find these easy to use with one hand. They are very rich and contrasty, but my Swaros are sharper and brighter, with wider FOV. A little softer at the edge than the Nikons, but there's more edge...... I got my Swaros in 2004, so maybe they're a later issue than the stock tested in the review above. And maybe current ones are even better...they have the "Swaroclean" feature which mine don't have. The extra amount of weight in the Nikons is minimal, but noticeable. I also find that the Nikons have very wide IPD, so for my "normal" IPD the barrels have to be quite close together....affecting depth of field and ease of use. There is something very pleasing and comfortable about the view through the Nikons, though. Slightly better eye-relief, maybe. Hope this helps.:t:

I think this is a Birdforum myth in the making. I'm happy to be corrected if someone can find Kimmo's post to this effect (or Kimmo himself chips in).

I went back through all of the EL threads I remember looking at here in the Swaro forum and was unable to locate the comment in question from Kimmo. My apologies for the earlier comment.

It is funny how the ball gets rolling in that regard though, isn't it? ;)

I have no complaints with the level of sharpness in my pair of 8x32 Els. They didn't appear too shabby compared to a pair of Nikon SE 8x32s yesterday afternoon. . When I can get together with someone that has one of the other high end 8x32 roofs then I will be sure to make a more thorough comparison

Frank,

I'd be curious to know more about how the two ELs compare in side-by-side testing. I have the 8x32, and a good friend recently bought the 8.5. We spent a long day birding together recently and at one point I was able to use both, going back and forth between them for a half hour. I was surprised to find that in open daylight, handheld, I could not discern a difference in apparent resolution between them. I had assumed that the 8.5 would seem slightly sharper because of the extra magnification, but that did not seem to be the case; at least it was not obvious.

I've owned both the 8x32 and the 8.5x42 ELs, both are excellent bins both optically and ergonomically. I was fully expecting to perfer the small size, wider FOV and closer focus of the 8x32 but... I found that the 8.5x42 had the edge optically and I perfer them in the hand too, so in the end I kept the 42s and sold the 32s. I'll be very interested to try the new 42 ELs when I get the chance, if they improve on the current model they'll be very good indeed.

Does anyone know if the original 8.5x42 EL is likely to be discontinued to make way for the new improved (and hugely more expensive!!) model?

Matt

I purchased a pair of the 8x32EL and I am very pleased with them. Maybe I should have waited for the new version of the 8x32EL but I not sure that they even exist yet and frankly I can't talk myself into breaking $2000 for bins or a spotting scope.

Mike

Does anyone know if the original 8.5x42 EL is likely to be discontinued to make way for the new improved (and hugely more expensive!!) model?

Matt

I've not heard either way yet Matt but will keep my ear to the ground and let you know if I hear anything...

I purchased a pair of the 8x32EL and I am very pleased with them. Maybe I should have waited for the new version of the 8x32EL but I not sure that they even exist yet and frankly I can't talk myself into breaking $2000 for bins or a spotting scope.

Mike
Congratulations, Michael....I hope you enjoy many years of happy birding with your new bins! I´m loathe to buy a 42mm because I´ve gotten used to the light weight of the EL 8x32... even another 100grams seems a lot! I´ve used mine in all kinds of light and conditions and can´t fault them. I don´t think there was ever any word from Swaro that the new HD EL´s would be produced in 8x32 format...it might never happen, and in a way, I hope it doesn´t! As for the new 8.5x42 HD version, I haven´t seen one yet, but I can´t really see the point in spending 2,000 euro to get a sharper edge when there´s actually less edge in the FOV anyway (apparently the FOV is 0.4 degrees narrower than the 8x32 EL´s). How do you find your new 8x32´s in the hand? Are you satisfied with the "one-hand" feel?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back