• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with "normal" tele lenses? (1 Viewer)

MXP

Why not use the expensive "normal" photographic tele lense for digiscoping?
All it requires is an eye piece in the correct distance? .....some manufactures has even made what is called a Lens Scope Converter (e.g. Nikon) which converts a SLR lens to a scope. I have "played" a bit and used a cheap eye piece from my old Swift scope (x40) and made a homemade adapter. There are room for improvements (better camera.....I used my old Coolpix 990 which should be on a museum and with no bracket to hold the camera.....so it is handhold). I have attacted the results so far. I have ordered a Coolpix P6000 and also a bracket. Then later I will invest in a top eye piece. Then I expect lot better results. Any other tried such experiments?
The brick wall was about 200m away (can be seen in one of the pictures). I used a 500mm mirror lens as scope.

Attachments

• DSCN7631_800.jpg
    DSCN7631_800.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN7629_800.jpg
    DSCN7629_800.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN7625_800.jpg
    DSCN7625_800.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 106
I used to play around with old glass lenses and eyepieces but never pursued it that far once I got a scope. Never tried it with a mirror lens but there maybe some mileage in it once you get the camera and a new eyepiece. Be sure to post any more results when you get them. How have you mounted the eyepiece to the lens?

Paul.

I used to play around with old glass lenses and eyepieces but never pursued it that far once I got a scope. Never tried it with a mirror lens but there maybe some mileage in it once you get the camera and a new eyepiece. Be sure to post any more results when you get them. How have you mounted the eyepiece to the lens?

Paul.

I have just got my Coolpix P6000 but still not the Nikon bracket. With my setup it needs to be a bracket which does not attach to the eyepiece.
I made the adapter by making a hole in a rear cap and then I found an extention tube (in this case a PK-13) so I can focus at infinity. A nice thing with the Nikon mirror is that it can focus down to 1.5m. With this magnification it is a real macro. Another nice thing using a mirror is that the setup is compact and stable. I also tried with a 400/5.6 EDIF. But this is a long tube and it vibrates very easy (my 300/2.8 is much more stable but have not tried it yet). The CA in the out of focus areas seems to be more controlled using a mirror. It seems almost free for CA. I found out that my old Swift searcher no. 839 scope is a 5 lens design and should be an APO according to the manual. So eyepiece may not be that bad. But we will see I have asked a company from UK if they can make an adapter for me (all metal). Then I also want a new modern eyepiece made for digiscoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back