• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 701HDV (1 Viewer)

vkalia

Robin stroker
Quick question about the 701HDV - does anyone here know if this uses Arca-Swiss style QR plates?

Or if not, can anyone recommend a decent, inexpensive fluid head for <$150 that takes Arca-Swiss style QR plates? Should be able to support a Nikon ED82 scope.

Edit - or the 700RC2, for that matter.

TIA!

Last edited:
None of the Manfrotto heads are Arca Swiss compatible and the only ones I know of are the Feisol VH-40 (received a very poor critique in a German magazine and was only considered suitable for scopes up to 65 mm), the Berlebach 552 (around €400) and a new one from Sirui, which is heavy and probably expensive.

Gitzo offer an adapter, which will clamp an Arca Swiss plate on their heads, but your best bet might be to attach an Arca Swiss clamp like the Novoflex Q-Mount (or alternative from Kirk or Really Right Stuff) to a head without quick release. I have a Q-Mount on a Manfrotto 128LP on a second tripod and although it's not as good as the Berlebach 552, it was a fairly inexpensive solution.

John

Thanks for that, John - actually, now that I come to think of it, I don't even need a QR, so I can actually bolt the scope directly onto the tripod head.

Any recommendations for a fluid head? I have a good setup of tripods and bullheads for photography, am at a bit of a loss when it comes to video/scope mounting options.

And while on the subject of Arca-style mounts - do the Gitzo video heads have Arca-compatible QRs? Cant tell from looking at the photos.

Thanks for that, John - actually, now that I come to think of it, I don't even need a QR, so I can actually bolt the scope directly onto the tripod head.

Any recommendations for a fluid head? I have a good setup of tripods and bullheads for photography, am at a bit of a loss when it comes to video/scope mounting options.

The Manfrotto 501's are a good digiscoping/video head ( I have 3 of them) and very good value for money.
Neil

I don't even need a QR, so I can actually bolt the scope directly onto the tripod head.
Any recommendations for a fluid head?

I believe that the Kowa 7** and 8** series have stainless steel inserts in their tripod feet but it's just aluminium on most other scopes, so a QR plate is to be recommended to prevent damage to the thread. But perhaps you meant using the QR plate on the 701HDV or 700RC?

Gitzo heads do not accept Arca Swiss plates directly but this is the adapter I mentioned:- http://www.gitzo.com/arca-style-quick-release-plate-adapter .

The Manfrotto 701HDV is well regarded and did fairly well in the magazine test. The Gitzo 2720 and 2380 (heavy) are very good and also the Berlebach 552.

John

Thanks, John - will check out those options. I actually did mean using the tripod without a QR plate, but based on your point above, will look into getting the adapter that you mentioned.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back