• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product placement (1 Viewer)

graeme782

Whilst eating breakfast this morning and watching the TV there was an interview with the husband of the late Iris Murdoch, apparently a novelist. Carefully placed on a desk beside him, to give the maximum view for the camera, were two books. One, a novel by his late wife and the other -

the large format Collins Bird Guide.

I'll certainly be checking out the latest Hollywood blockbusters for more of this outrageous avian advertising. You expect the occasional can of Pepsi but not this. Where will it all end? Next stop, subliminal messaging. Maybe its already started, after all, nobody seems to be able to explain why they're into birds so much, sometimes to the extremes of travelling the length and breadth of the country to see one bird.

Hmmmm. ;)

Obviously an optics company missed the boat with this one, as they have with 'I'm a celeb'... the rather anonymous pair of binos that are always in front of Ant & Dec just screams out for a nice big visible logo ;)

Andy Bright said:
'I'm a celeb'... the rather anonymous pair of binos that are always in front of Ant & Dec just screams out for a nice big visible logo ;)
Mr Bright, you surprise me. You'll be commenting on Big Brother next. |:p|

I remember a documentary about nature in Senegal. One scene showed ornithologists doing some research. They had a bird book. Looking carefully, I noticed it was Perrins European bird guide, opened on pages with black and green woodpeckers. :)

When Dead Ringers take off Bill Oddie they do not use the right bins - I wonder if Leica have noticed??

Steve

Steve Lister said:
When Dead Ringers take off Bill Oddie they do not use the right bins - I wonder if Leica have noticed??

Steve

Not only are they not the right bins, but they're nearly round his ankles! What a farce.
James

The Myth/fact I have heard for years was that spy novelist Ian Flemming was on a Caribbean vacation while writing his first thriller.He had everything worked out except for the name of agent 007.At his hotel someone had left behind a field guide to birds of the Caribbean written by James Bond.
Sam

helenol said:
Mr Bright, you surprise me. You'll be commenting on Big Brother next. |:p|
It's my girlfriend's fault, trash tv is compulsory ;) I've had to endure X- factor of late, now that really is the pits.

Big Brother does have some birding merit... I've seen discussions (maybe uk.rec.birdwatching) on birds heard in the background, some good 'ticks' if i remember correctly.

Yes,I noticed the Collins bird guide on the table.But did feel quite cheery after watching that interview.Cos if you cannot remember where you left your bins,that is okay.The problem is,if you have your bins in your hand,but do not know what they are,well then you are heading for trouble!!.So there is hope for me !!

samuel walker said:
The Myth/fact I have heard for years was that spy novelist Ian Flemming was on a Caribbean vacation while writing his first thriller.He had everything worked out except for the name of agent 007.At his hotel someone had left behind a field guide to birds of the Caribbean written by James Bond.
Sam

Pinched from somewehere on the net :

"the name of James Bond, Fleming explains ...

"Oh, that's easy, I think of the first couple of names in my house at school and change their Christian names. In my case the first names were James Aitken and Harry Bond. So you could have Harry Aitken and James Bond".
Later at Goldeneye he looked up from his desk & typewriter and saw James Bond's Field Guide to Birds of the West Indies and this confirmed his name choice. "

Which suggests that the book was actually his. Fleming a birder? Could be!

Chest Complaint!

For blatant advertising you would have to go a long way to beat Bill Oddie in one of this summer's live TV programmes, where the Haith's logo featured prominently above the breast-pocket of his 'Safari Boy' outfit!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back