• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to tell the age of Nikon bino's by the serial number? (1 Viewer)

PlanetMaker

Sorry if this was covered before but couldn't find anything using search

How do you tell the age of Nikon binoculars by the it's serial number?
Thanks

No one knows how to do this with any degree of exactness.

Speculation on this centered on the ages of the now discontinued SE series of Porro prism binoculars. The second digit of the serial numbers on them were thought to indicate when Nikon changed the coatings on their lenses. The 1st digit identified their format size. The same went for Nikons EII Porro prisms. Nikon announced when it switched from Lead Glass to Eco Glass so that is generally considered the starting point. SEs and EIIs bought before then had different second digit numbers than those purchased after that date.

Brock was generally considered the expert on aging these SEs and EII Porro prisms.

No one even tried it on Nikons HG L line or mid range and low cost binoculars. The first 2 digits of the HG L line and of the new EDG line identify the size format of the binoculars.

Bob

I've been wondering the same. I have an older 7x35 Nikon. No identifying marks as to what model it is. Looks like one of their less expensive lines. Has only the older blu'ish coatings and those only on the exterior surfaces. But I know if you go back far enough, even the better ones had just that.

All that is written on mine is:

Nikon 7X 35 7.3 J. Pat

Nippon Kogaku Tokyo 461385

I use it as a car bin. It is in very good condition and yields sharp, bright images. albeit with a bit of CA and not the best contrast in difficult lighting.

Tom: I think yours are probably from the late '60s or '70s. The older ones from the early '60s are marked like yours, except with the additional inscription "J-B7" on the right prism shoulder just above the "Nikon" inscription. I have a 232xxx like that. The later ones, like yours, dropped the "J-B7" inscription. I also have a 457xxx like that, which is pretty close in age to your 461xxx. I believe these were called the 7x35A, and they were the last ones before Nikon introduced the 7x35E, which has rubber eyecups, and no "Nippon Kogaku" inscription. According to Henry, who is probably the authority on these older porros, the 7x35E also had an updated eyepiece. Coincidentally, as Bob mentioned, these numbers seem to be model dependent. I have a 9x35 that is approximately of the same vintage as your 461xxx and my 457xxx, but the serial number is 673xxx.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Nikon binoculars with the J-B7 on the right side. Also has 7X50 and 7.3 (degree sign). On the left, it has Nippon Kogaku Tokyo. serial 682,170. The focusing is done using only the left and right eye diaptor adjustments. I am guessing early 1960's? Does anyone else have an educated guess? Thanks. After doing a little search on my own it appears that this pair was made in November of 1959. The J-B7 means: Nippon Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Nikon binoculars with the J-B7 on the right side. Also has 7X50 and 7.3 (degree sign). On the left, it has Nippon Kogaku Tokyo. serial 682,170. The focusing is done using only the left and right eye diaptor adjustments. I am guessing early 1960's? Does anyone else have an educated guess? Thanks. After doing a little search on my own it appears that this pair was made in November of 1959. The J-B7 means: Nippon Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.
i have a Nippon Kogaku Tokyo Feather-Weight s/n 133299 LH Mikron 9 x 35 7.3WF Coated RH Ric Ellens Vancouver B.C. no idea of value plus the leather strap a case with no strap amazingly clear focus bought them on Ebay 2004 $150 CD

i have a Nippon Kogaku Tokyo Feather-Weight s/n 133299 LH Mikron 9 x 35 7.3WF Coated RH Ric Ellens Vancouver B.C. no idea of value plus the leather strap a case with no strap amazingly clear focus

Tom: I think yours are probably from the late '60s or '70s. The older ones from the early '60s are marked like yours, except with the additional inscription "J-B7" on the right prism shoulder just above the "Nikon" inscription. I have a 232xxx like that. The later ones, like yours, dropped the "J-B7" inscription. I also have a 457xxx like that, which is pretty close in age to your 461xxx. I believe these were called the 7x35A, and they were the last ones before Nikon introduced the 7x35E, which has rubber eyecups, and no "Nippon Kogaku" inscription. According to Henry, who is probably the authority on these older porros, the 7x35E also had an updated eyepiece. Coincidentally, as Bob mentioned, these numbers seem to be model dependent. I have a 9x35 that is approximately of the same vintage as your 461xxx and my 457xxx, but the serial number is 673xxx.
i have a Nippon Kogaku Tokyo Feather-Weight s/n 133299 LH Mikron 9 x 35 7.3WF Coated RH Ric Ellens Vancouver B.C. no idea of value plus the leather strap a case with no strap amazingly clear focus bought them on Ebay 2004 $150 CD

It seems Ebay is a good marketplace for values. So I think what you paid is fair. Those older Nikons can be very good.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back