• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sun shade questions (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
Lets start with the good news, my LCE adaptor arrived this morning (its only taken a month and plenty of emails to get it here), and I have finally started to get some results, but I have encountered my first new set back, the SUN!

I have read through all the other threads on this subject and they mainly talk about the xtend-a-view, which does look good (although I'm not sure about them adding VAT after they add delivery costs???? seems something is not right there), but what about a plain shade? do you really need the 2x magnification in order to see the screen, surely you could just look from a distance? Obviously with the cost of the set-up being quite high, is the extra 40 odd quid needed?

:stuck:

Thank yopu in advance for everyones help.

What about the slide viewer from the ubiquitous high st. camera chain? £1.99 this has a 2x lens (though plastic). The trouble with hoods/covers is that when you put your eye up to them it's often too close for your eye to focus on the monitor.
You really need to get up close to the monitor to ascertain correct focus.
Andy

So can someone tell me does the xtend-a-view really improve focusing ability that much? or is andy bright just a genius with photoshop? :'D

Ashley

I have purchased the extend-aview from photosolve(http://www.photosolve.com/main/product/xtendaview/index.html)and have found it an excellent aid (BTW it only cost $35 with P&P from this site (Approx £23). Apart from it enhaning the image you are looking at it also aids in following a moving bird. It does this because it acts as a viewfinder does, as your eye is in contact with the camera all the time. Much better than having the camera away from your eye and watching a bird through the monitor.

I'll second John's post. I got one from Photosolve too and wouldn't be without it. The 4500 has quite a fine grained screen with which the 2x viewer helps immensley in magnifying, the other plus of course being to keep the sun off.

Yes Ashley, me too. From one who's got by without it for two years; my photos are better, with fewer wasted attempts, which could cost an entire bird photo-op. if she doesn't stay around for many tries. I second (third?) all the above reasons. I had used a worse than camera store quality plastic magnifying viewer.. it was more like an advertising give-away item, and even that was so much better than the bare LCD I wouldn't scope without it. But the optics were not clear enough to do a good focus so I was mostly getting the sunscreen/ proper exposure advantages of a shade and keeping my eye on the subject. The Xtend-a-View is really marvelous. Having said that, I've looked at camera store slide viewers and the optics look fairly good. As they are manyfold cheaper you might want to try them but beware: they weren't made to fit your camera and may not be completely darkened all around the housing. Take your camera in to the store and see how it would fit if you added velcro, or would you need to saw off a solid base like on another one I bought. Then check the focus distance from your eye to the LCD - it may not be right when you get done.. remember the thickness of some velcro between the two.

Last edited:
John J, did you have any trouble shipping it in from the states?

and does anyone know of any shops that sell these so I can try before buying?

Last edited:
Don't you find the image too pixelated with the x2 maginifcation?

I wish the extend-a-view had lower magnification!!!

I've decided to give an unmagified Camera bellows a go.

:hi: If like me you have to wear glasses to see if the image on the screen is in focus, an Extend-a -View is very handy no need for any glasses.Even though the image is fairly pixelated sharp images are possible.

Geoff :t:

I got the Xtend-a-view for my Coolpix 4500, but have hardly used it. I did not like the pixelation either. I find it easier to watch the screen from a small distance. Then it is possible to watch the bird directly at the same time. I find the Coolpix LCD relatively easy to read, even in bright light, because it is backlighted.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back