• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (14 Viewers)

Yes, great job by the Tuesday crew - that east moors plantation has been in desperate need of management for several years. The coppiced sections will, hopefully, encourage more Willow Warblers and Garden Warbler to breed on the reserve. We know from this year's breeding results how successful it can be and with virtually immediate results, plus spin-off benefits for butterflies too. Who knows, we might even get a migrant Nightigale in the spring.:t:

Going back to fave of the year, my highlight was photographing over several weeks the progress of two (later only one) oystercatcher chicks. I love oyks and to see them so closely (from East Hide @ Moors) was great. I built up a good library of pics, two of which i attach. the first shows the two chicks having to swim from island after parent flew to next island and called them. the second pic was from final batch before it flew off for the last time. As i am now off to Peaks for crimbo can i take this opportunity to wish you all the very best. Many thanks to the work parties (i will join you i promise) for your hard work. Hopefully catch up with you all next year. Regards Dennis

Attachments

• oyk_DSC6076.jpg
    oyk_DSC6076.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 63
  • oyk_DSC6076a.jpg
    oyk_DSC6076a.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 56
Going back to fave of the year, my highlight was photographing over several weeks the progress of two (later only one) oystercatcher chicks. I love oyks and to see them so closely (from East Hide @ Moors) was great. I built up a good library of pics, two of which i attach. the first shows the two chicks having to swim from island after parent flew to next island and called them. the second pic was from final batch before it flew off for the last time. As i am now off to Peaks for crimbo can i take this opportunity to wish you all the very best. Many thanks to the work parties (i will join you i promise) for your hard work. Hopefully catch up with you all next year. Regards Dennis

You have a good en as well Dennis.:t:
To think Oystercatchers have only been breeding on the reserve for just over 10 years maybe more (Phil will put me right). It is important that we maintain areas for these and other breeding birds, that could be lost if we don't maintain habitats. The work can sometimes appear harsh at times, but to do nothing will be more harmful in the long term.
B :)John

Anyone know who the infocus person is who often comes down to Upton is and a way of getting in contact with him? Also when he'll next be at Upton?

Anyone know who the infocus person is who often comes down to Upton is and a way of getting in contact with him? Also when he'll next be at Upton?
To timmyjones
The next date is shown on the Upton Warren birding site.Notice board( 7. of Jan I think.) not sure if thats the same person you are looking for but just seen the ad. before I came on the Forum.

Glenn

Last edited:
To timmyjones
The next date is shown on the Upton Warren birding site.Notice board( 7. of Jan I think.) not sure if thats the same person you are looking for but just seen the ad. before I came on the Forum.

Glenn

Hi Glenn - I think you are getting mixed up with Brian's Birders Store event (the next one of which is the 7th Jan in the Sailing Centre)

Phil

Hi Tim - the next In Focus event is Tuesday 10th January at the Moors Pool. You could lend a hand at the work party as well! ;)

You have a good en as well Dennis.:t:
To think Oystercatchers have only been breeding on the reserve for just over 10 years maybe more (Phil will put me right).

I posted this chart earlier in the year but no harm in recycling old material (ask Jim Davidson ;)).

Oystercatchers first bred (unsuccessfully) in 1999 with the first fledged chick the following year and have now successfully raised 19 young to date.

Attachments

• Oystercatcher.jpg
    Oystercatcher.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 41
I posted this chart earlier in the year but no harm in recycling old material (ask Jim Davidson ;)).

Oystercatchers first bred (unsuccessfully) in 1999 with the first fledged chick the following year and have now successfully raised 19 young to date.

I knew I could count on you Philip. Don't forget that cake on Saturday , for the 'works Christmas do'8-P

where are the bitterns?

One of our younger Tuesday work party crew, Matt, has just spent a week or so volunteering at RSPB Fairbun Ings in West Yorks. Bitterns are seen there every winter and occasionally outside that season.
However this winter there has not been a single record, the consensus is that the predominantly south west/westerly winds have meant that birds from eastern Europe have probably not yet moved from their breeding/stop off sites. This is a little more reassuring for us and if the weather does go bad we could still get our birds back.
I know a lot of sites have got wintering Bitterns but they could be British breeding birds. Just a thought or maybe I am clutching at straws:smoke:

Today's birding was dominated by the passerines.
After the work in the secret garden, a flock of 40 lesser redpoll came to feed on the alders and birches. Large numbers of thrushes 200 min were along the west track first thing.
On the pool (where the ice was 60% of the surface area), duck numbers had reached the winter low point.
species count:
Teal 60, Tufted 5, mallard c100, Mute swan pr NO SHOVELER's
snipe 13 on view, lapwing 120+, curlew 16. Herring gull a movement all morning mostly north.
John

John, if the duck numbers reached their winter low point yesterday, today the graph shows an upward, if modest, trend.

TODAY'S HIGHLIGHT'S:

MOORS:
Shoveler (8)--------------------Tufted Duck (13)
Teal (c60)----------------------Snipe (9)
Curlew (16)--------------------Water Rail (2)
Kingfisher----------------------Greylag Goose (17)
Lesser Redpoll (18)------------Treecreeper
Sparrowhawk------------------Cormorant (17) Between 300-400 thrushes, mainly Fieldfare, in the air behind the east hide, a number of which crossed the Moors.

FLASHES:
Teal (40)-----------------------Lapwing (74)
Linnet (c30)

Impressive results by the Tuesday work party John.

Des.

John, if the duck numbers reached their winter low point yesterday, today the graph shows an upward, if modest, trend.

TODAY'S HIGHLIGHT'S:

MOORS:
Shoveler (8)--------------------Tufted Duck (13)
Teal (c60)----------------------Snipe (9)
Curlew (16)--------------------Water Rail (2)
Kingfisher----------------------Greylag Goose (17)
Lesser Redpoll (18)------------Treecreeper
Sparrowhawk------------------Cormorant (17) Between 300-400 thrushes, mainly Fieldfare, in the air behind the east hide, a number of which crossed the Moors.

FLASHES:
Teal (40)-----------------------Lapwing (74)
Linnet (c30)

Impressive results by the Tuesday work party John.

Des.

As you say Des, some sign of a recovery in wildfowl numbers. Do you think there were 100 Teal across the reserve today or was there some transference between the two parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back