• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (59 Viewers)

Hi John,

Asked the Trust for for an update on "the hide" yesterday, expressing my displeasure at the delays,totally coincidental to your posting on the forum yesterday and below is the reply.I`ve sent it to you to post on the Forum if you think the others might like to read.

Reply to Chris from the Trust

Dear Mr C
I apologise for the delay with the new Avocet hide at Upton Warren. It is a bespoke new design and I am sure will be enjoyed by our members once it is complete. The finishing touches are being completed. I hope to have it open soon.

As a building project it has suffered from several set-backs and delays. We have been reliant on other people to carry out the work and building control to approve it at certain stages. Weather and Christmas breaks delayed it further. It has been frustrating for all of us to have these delays.

Wishing you well,

Initial paragraph written in the first person singular (contains the upbeat stuff), thereafter it's all in the first person plural (where the excuses are being listed). Has it been passed around for Review and Approval before dissemination... ?

Last edited:
Hi John,

Asked the Trust for for an update on "the hide" yesterday, expressing my displeasure at the delays,totally coincidental to your posting on the forum yesterday and below is the reply.I`ve sent it to you to post on the Forum if you think the others might like to read.

Reply to Chris from the Trust

Dear Mr C
I apologise for the delay with the new Avocet hide at Upton Warren. It is a bespoke new design and I am sure will be enjoyed by our members once it is complete. The finishing touches are being completed. I hope to have it open soon.

As a building project it has suffered from several set-backs and delays. We have been reliant on other people to carry out the work and building control to approve it at certain stages. Weather and Christmas breaks delayed it further. It has been frustrating for all of us to have these delays.

Wishing you well,

Economical with the truth as always :-O

'Bespoke new design' -unique, never seen before - hopefully never to be repeated!

Whoever made that choice should hang their head in shame. UW has been made a laughing stock by that fundamental, cretinous decision.

moors v flashes

Whilst the two distinct areas are all part of the 'mecca', I wonder how people feel about the two sides of the reserve.
B :)John[/QUOTE]

Bit like Predator v Alien, City v United, Simon v Garfunkel, Ali v Foreman.....both giants in their own categories. Even though the Moors was cruel to me when i missed a Roseate Tern because I was sky-watching instead of looking over the water, over the years it has just got better and better. I can remember a lot of good firsts on this side, Marsh Harrier, Goshawk, Osprey, Bearded Tit, Spotted Crake, Savis Warbler, Purple Heron. Whilst the Flashes has also provided some thrilling birding moments and will surely produce the next, long-overdue Yankie, the Moors just about edges it for me. Don't rule out the Education however, I've bagged Golden Oriole, Firecrest and Yellow-Browed in them there woods. Spring is around the corner folks..........

Whilst the two distinct areas are all part of the 'mecca', I wonder how people feel about the two sides of the reserve.
B :)John

Bit like Predator v Alien, City v United, Simon v Garfunkel, Ali v Foreman.....both giants in their own categories. Even though the Moors was cruel to me when i missed a Roseate Tern because I was sky-watching instead of looking over the water, over the years it has just got better and better. I can remember a lot of good firsts on this side, Marsh Harrier, Goshawk, Osprey, Bearded Tit, Spotted Crake, Savis Warbler, Purple Heron. Whilst the Flashes has also provided some thrilling birding moments and will surely produce the next, long-overdue Yankie, the Moors just about edges it for me. Don't rule out the Education however, I've bagged Golden Oriole, Firecrest and Yellow-Browed in them there woods. Spring is around the corner folks..........[/QUOTE]
Hi Kid
forgot about the Edy
also in there hoopoe (2), my only Iceland gull on the reserve , I am not 100% but either the caspian tern or WWblack tern was on the sailing pool,
It would be nice to think that future developments might include this area as part of the reserve - the missing link so to speak.B :)John
I would like to think the good times will return to the Moors with all the management we have undertaken. I predict a rare heron on the east side of the Moors this spring (little bittern would be nice):smoke:

As an infrequent visiter to Upton i'd have to go with the Flashes as i've had a few lifers there (pec sand,r n & g phals) but that's a list that any reserve would be proud of,one reason must surely be the birders at Upton,it's so well covered by experienced birders for most of the time.Ive had nothing but good experiences there(apart from dipping the Bluethroat)always felt welcome and felt the regulars actually enjoy sharing their knowledge with lesser birders.Which is nice.KRO.

After that Scientific interlude8-P of which I know nout, I'll move on.

My personal view is that prior to the creation of Amy's Marsh (1993), the Flashes was always my favourite. In those early days 1978 to 1989ish, I spent almost the whole of my weekday-off at the Flashes. Well certainly during passage times and the breeding season. Apart from the reed beds, the Moors was better during the winter months although in those days the main pool froze over much easier than at present.
However since Amy's and even more so in the last couple of years through attending the 'Tuesday crew', I have found a new affinity with the Moors. The intensive work there is now showing the Moors for what it is - a very underestimated, interesting and rewarding area for all sorts of wildlife. With more new plans afoot its true potential will soon be realised.
B :)John

The flashes wins hands down for me, there's something special about the saline pools that just can not be replicated at the moors. Whenever I'm sat in the Avocet hide (remember? ah those halcyon days ;) ), I am always full of expectancy that something special will land in front of me (not that all birds are'nt special), I just don't have that feeling at the moors.

That does not mean that I don't like the moors, just that it lacks the sheer thrill of the flashes, I have also had so many lifers on the flashes that I can not even count them (I don't keep proper list's) I just know I've had a lot more compared to the moors.

Sort of agree with Gavo, in my relative short time warrening the biggies for me ( and to be a biggy the threshold is fairly low ;) ) have largely come at the flashes, and there is always that air of expectation. However seeing Tern's and Bittern at the Moors was special.
Also the moors has encouraged my interest in Butterflies and Dragonflies, and the management undertaken will hopefully improve this potential as well as the warbler habitat.
I think last year I was very lucky , and am not kidding myself I will get near the same level of mega's, and so many of them fell on weekends. Would love to get Spoonbill there this year and Sandwich Tern. A Hoopoe on the deck, and Glossy Ibis would be nice too 8-P

It's ALLLL GOOOOOD :t:

Does anyone else get this message (or something similar) when trying to access Brian's site?
Server Error in Application "49251048-WORCESTERBIRDINGNEWS.CO.UK"

Mine hindered with the account details, in that I had to key them in again, but after was fine.

Discovered that 12 waxwings were seen yesterday about 200 yards from my Dad's house in Kings Norton. I've sent him out looking for them today. Not sure if that was a wise move, because if he bags any shots I'll be rather jealous!

Flashes vs Moors - this time its personal!

One could wax lyrical for post after post about the virtues of both the Flashes and Moors Pool, not forgetting the Sailing Pool and Education Reserve. Whilst I could recall the head-shaking display of Great Crested Grebes and head-bobbing courtship of Ruddy Ducks at the Moors Pool, or the frantic activity of the Little Ringed Plovers at the Flashes, I will keep this post to good, old-fashioned rarity hunting.

I have documented below those species that have occurred at Upton Warren that appear on the national rarity scarcity channels of the bird information services; this does throw up some oddities when comparing national scarcities to local scarcities (eg Upton has had more Red-necked Phalaropes than Dippers, Temminck’s Stints than Gannets, Pectoral Sandpipers than Slavonian Grebes, Blue-winged Teals than Velvet Scoters etc). Where a bird visited several parts of the reserve I have allocated it to the area it mostly frequented.

The results are as follows:

MOORS POOL - 33
Blue-winged Teal (1968, 2 in 1980), Ferruginous Duck (1980, 1989), Purple Heron (1982), White Stork (1993), Great White Egret (2011, 2012), Spoonbill (2010), Spotted Crake (1981, 1984, 2001, 2009), Corncrake (1972), Honey Buzzard (2008), Pectoral Sandpiper (2003), Red-necked Phalarope (1972), Grey Phalarope (1996), Iceland Gull (1991), Roseate Tern (1999), Alpine Swift (1973, 1992), Bee-eater (2007), Hoopoe (2011), Red-rumped Swallow (1992), Savi’s Warbler (1985, 1994), Marsh Warbler (1978), Red-backed Shrike (1977), Great Grey Shrike (1974, 1975, 1998), Rustic Bunting (1987)

FLASHES - 53

Blue-winged Teal (1989), Ferruginous Duck (1993), Great White Egret (2007), Purple Heron (2002), Spoonbill (1988, 2011, 2011), Montagu’s Harrier (1995, 2009), Spotted Crake (1999), Black-winged Stilt (2006), Temminck’s Stint (1990, 1991, 1991, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006), Least Sandpiper (1988), Pectoral Sandpiper (1970, 1971, 1972, 1984, 1986, 2003, 2010), Wilson’s Phalarope (1985, 2007), Red-necked Phalarope (1989, 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011), Grey Phalarope (2007, 2008, 2010), Long-tailed Skua (1987), Laughing Gull (1996), Sabine’s Gull (1994, 2009), Iceland Gull (1994), Shorelark (3 in 1996, 2008), Richard’s Pipit (1967), Bluethroat (1982, 2011), Marsh Warbler (2005), Yellow-browed Warbler (1986), Red-backed Shrike (1999), Great Grey Shrike (1993)

SAILING POOL - 2
White-winged Black Tern (1971), Hoopoe (2007)

EDUCATION RESERVE - 5

Honey Buzzard (2004), Hoopoe (1985), Yellow-browed Warbler (2003), Golden Oriole (1982, 2000)

I have been unable to trace where the first eight occurrences of Temminck’s Stint, the 1966 Red-backed Shrike, the 1973 breeding Marsh Warblers, the 1971 Caspian Tern, three of the Iceland Gulls, the 1978 Leach’s Petrel or the 1972 Glaucous Gulls were recorded on the reserve.

One could wax lyrical for post after post about the virtues of both the Flashes and Moors Pool, not forgetting the Sailing Pool and Education Reserve. Whilst I could recall the head-shaking display of Great Crested Grebes and head-bobbing courtship of Ruddy Ducks at the Moors Pool, or the frantic activity of the Little Ringed Plovers at the Flashes, I will keep this post to good, old-fashioned rarity hunting.

I have documented below those species that have occurred at Upton Warren that appear on the national rarity scarcity channels of the bird information services; this does throw up some oddities when comparing national scarcities to local scarcities (eg Upton has had more Red-necked Phalaropes than Dippers, Temminck’s Stints than Gannets, Pectoral Sandpipers than Slavonian Grebes, Blue-winged Teals than Velvet Scoters etc). Where a bird visited several parts of the reserve I have allocated it to the area it mostly frequented.

The results are as follows:

MOORS POOL - 33
Blue-winged Teal (1968, 2 in 1980), Ferruginous Duck (1980, 1989), Purple Heron (1982), White Stork (1993), Great White Egret (2011, 2012), Spoonbill (2010), Spotted Crake (1981, 1984, 2001, 2009), Corncrake (1972), Honey Buzzard (2008), Pectoral Sandpiper (2003), Red-necked Phalarope (1972), Grey Phalarope (1996), Iceland Gull (1991), Roseate Tern (1999), Alpine Swift (1973, 1992), Bee-eater (2007), Hoopoe (2011), Red-rumped Swallow (1992), Savi’s Warbler (1985, 1994), Marsh Warbler (1978), Red-backed Shrike (1977), Great Grey Shrike (1974, 1975, 1998), Rustic Bunting (1987)

FLASHES - 53

Blue-winged Teal (1989), Ferruginous Duck (1993), Great White Egret (2007), Purple Heron (2002), Spoonbill (1988, 2011, 2011), Montagu’s Harrier (1995, 2009), Spotted Crake (1999), Black-winged Stilt (2006), Temminck’s Stint (1990, 1991, 1991, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2006), Least Sandpiper (1988), Pectoral Sandpiper (1970, 1971, 1972, 1984, 1986, 2003, 2010), Wilson’s Phalarope (1985, 2007), Red-necked Phalarope (1989, 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011), Grey Phalarope (2007, 2008, 2010), Long-tailed Skua (1987), Laughing Gull (1996), Sabine’s Gull (1994, 2009), Iceland Gull (1994), Shorelark (3 in 1996, 2008), Richard’s Pipit (1967), Bluethroat (1982, 2011), Marsh Warbler (2005), Yellow-browed Warbler (1986), Red-backed Shrike (1999), Great Grey Shrike (1993)

SAILING POOL - 2
White-winged Black Tern (1971), Hoopoe (2007)

EDUCATION RESERVE - 5

Honey Buzzard (2004), Hoopoe (1985), Yellow-browed Warbler (2003), Golden Oriole (1982, 2000)

I have been unable to trace where the first eight occurrences of Temminck’s Stint, the 1966 Red-backed Shrike, the 1973 breeding Marsh Warblers, the 1971 Caspian Tern, three of the Iceland Gulls, the 1978 Leach’s Petrel or the 1972 Glaucous Gulls were recorded on the reserve.

good work:t: , almost sorry I started it now8-P

Phil,

The Purple Heron in 2000 spent most of its time at the Moors.

The '66 RBS was around the paddock area at the Moors. The breeding Marsh Warblers, Caspian Tern and Leach's Petrel were also, I believe, at the Moors.

Hi all, new to the forum so go easy 8-P

Tought I would mention this as I know we are missing a bittern at Upton warren at the moment. Well my dad was walking into work at cadbury in Bournville first thing this morning and a bittern flew over his head heading east.

Mentioned it as Bournville isn't a million miles away.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back