• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best DSLR Kit - would you switch from Canon? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Clarke

Greetings bird people

I've spent several weeks browsing various forums, seeing loads of images (good and bad) and wading through yards of text while researching the best equipment for bird and wildlife photography.

What is left of my brain hurts....

The emphasis will be on taking photographs while birding rather than concentrating on the photography so something as light and compact as possible is required.

I would really appreciate any comments you can make, e.g. are you totally happy with your kit, what would you upgrade to and why.... it would be very useful to see examples of good sharp photos to help me make a final decision.

The budget is roughly £1500 for camera body and a telephoto lens. I realise that buying a good lens is most crucial as upgrading body is easier at a later date on a restricted budget.

At present I am contemplating one of the following three options:

Canon 30d/100-400mm l IS f4.5 IS and the Kenko 1.4 TC
Nikon d200/300mm f4 or AF 80-400mm f4.5 VR
? body /Sigma ?

Thanks in anticipation of your responses/help.

Good Birding

Andrew

My expperience is limited to Canon therefore I cannot comment on the Nikon setup. In my opinion, the Canon setup you are considering is good value capable of producing exceptional quality photos.

I cannot comment on what is best for you. Are you going to be very close to birds in a hide or are you going to be taking pictures as you walk about? The Canon 30D and 100 400 is a superb combination as is the 30D with the 400 prime and each of these set ups is used by many birders. If you are going to photograph song birds from a hide where you get very close but the light may be dim then you may be better off with a 300f4 canon lens which will give you an added stop of light.

Good luck with your choice.

Andrew,

It’s an absolute minefield at the moment with camera. Ultimately only you can make the decision.

If you want new models, I would wait until they come into the shop and then go and play. On the other hand there just might be some good second-hand bargains about.

Many thanks to everyone for the comments so far - I will be mainly be using the kit while out and about but am also tempted to do some hide work.... any more advice will be appreciated!

Not sure why everyone is obsessed with Canon. Try a Nikon. You can see plenty of my stuff on this forum of mine and it seems to satisfy plenty of people. Don't buy a Canon cos it's a Canon !!! Over rated by far in my opinion and I've been around far too long.

Taken up trolling as a new hobby John?

If you feel you have tangible reasons why Canon is over-rated or think you can contribute constructively in the context of Andrew's questions then please, tell us your thoughts...

Andrew,

It’s an absolute minefield at the moment with camera. Ultimately only you can make the decision.

If you want new models, I would wait until they come into the shop and then go and play. On the other hand there just might be some good second-hand bargains about.

I agree with this. From what I've been reading the Nikon D300 is going to be quite a competitor to the Canon 40D for not a huge amount more. It's not going to be around for a few more months yet but I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. I have few regrets having switched from Olympus to Canon but moving between the big names becomes more and more pricey as the lens collection grows. I'm sure you should do as much research as possible before making any decision.

In terms of the choices you ave already picked out, the 30D + 100-400 is what I use and in general I'm very pleased. If a self cleaning sensor had been available in the mid range Canon (as it is in the 40D) I'd have gone for it. Dust on the sensor was an unwelcome downgrade when moving from Olympus.

Good luck with your decision making.

Tim

Not sure why everyone is obsessed with Canon. Try a Nikon.

I did.

Buy Canon, Andrew..!

;)

Seriously, the best thing to do is go into the Gallery and take a critical look at a lot of images taken with the 30D and with the D200.

It's a very revealing exercise...

Last edited:
Seriously, the best thing to do is go into the Gallery and take a critical look at a lot of images taken with the 30D and with the D200.

It's a very revealing exercise...

I can only agree, having used a Nikon D200 on a recent magazine shoot I was exceedingly underwhelmed by the chroma noise it had in the output .jpeg images, even at low ISO, the in camera noise reduction tended to be smudgy and reduced detail.
The RAW images did show some degree of improvement, but only I feel because the photographer had a degree of control over the application of NR, Breezebrowser and Bibble pro made a better job of processing the RAW files.

Well, thanks again all... I seem to be heading in changing directions on a daily basis - there is so much choice!

John you certainly have some crisp Sigma images in your gallery (as do the rest of you Canon and Nikon lens users!).

Think I should buy a sketch book, pen and ink!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back