• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (3 Viewers)

I've just had a a good couple of days birding at Lizard point and just got back to sunny North Staffordshire.

Had great views of the Woodchat Shrike at Church Cove, a pair of Chough below the lighthouse, and Fulmar.

I was up at 6.30am today and enjoyed a sea watching session from near the lighthouse and enjoyed good numbers of Gannets, Manx Shearwaters, Guillimots (at least I think they were at a distance) and Cormorants passing by. I'd be interested to know where the Gannets were commuting from.

Oh and I had a great breakfast at the cafe after the sea watch. There is something civilized about watching Chough and Fulmar while eating a full English breakfast with a pot of tea in such warm sunny conditions.

I noticed a small number of Willow warbler in gardens/bushes by the lighthouse and observed some face staining.

A great part of the world and I will be back for a more extensive birding holiday soon.

Dean:t:

Happy Birding

Hi Can anyone please tell me where wacker quay is Thanks

If you are coming from Torpoint then lookout for the picnic sign on the right side of the road about a mile past Antony. I normally view the estuary from the parking area although you can walk or drive down the track and park by the Quay. Roger

Balearic Shrike at Ruan Pool, Windmill Farm NR.

Anyone travelling to see this bird please note that it is on an extremely sensitive site. So please park only in the car park at Windmill Farm NR (Map here) and drive slowly along the access track to minimise disturbance to the campsite and residents. There are some particularly steep speed humps so beware. Once on site keep to public footpaths and follow any on site directions, the bird was viewable distantly from the small hide at Ruan Pool (Map here). Please also do not chase the bird around, or following similar experiences with the Lizard "Brown" Shrike, local birders will not be releasing any further news of rarities. So best behaviour please, we have been warned!

Balearic Shrike at Ruan Pool, Windmill Farm NR.

Please also do not chase the bird around, or following similar experiences with the Lizard "Brown" Shrike, local birders will not be releasing any further news of rarities. So best behaviour please, we have been warned!

Would that be the same local birders who are posting nice close-up photos of the bird on the CBWPS website? Bit odd considering the bird is only "viewable distantly".

Two very low light shots of the Savi's at Marazion Marsh this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_7974.JPG
    IMG_7974.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_7975.JPG
    IMG_7975.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 469
Ad. Arctic Scua harrying Sandwich Terns off Freathy (Whitsand Bay) this afternoon.

Quite close in, at times only 60ish yards offshore.

The easiest place to see Choughs is Southerly Point, at the tip of the Lizard peninsula (SW701115). There is an RSPB watchpoint there (and a good cafe where you can sit and watch the birds). Next month the female will be on eggs and the male will be coming in every half hour or so.

Saw them today - Thanks for the information|=). Tho I did miss the Woodchat Shrike which was apparantly about a mile away - Can't have everything.

if anyone is going for the White-throated Sparrow at Boscastle from the Falmouth direction and has a spare seat in the car, could they drop me a pm?

Thanks

White-throated Sparrow this morning at Welltown Manor Boscastle.

Attachments

• IMG_9593.JPG
    IMG_9593.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 5,244
  • IMG_9568.jpg
    IMG_9568.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_9557.JPG
    IMG_9557.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 5,063
This years Pelagics are filling up fast! Dont leave it late and be disappointed. Details and booking on the Pelagics link on Cornwall Birding.

Not a bad week for Cornwall again (not that I've seen anything of the megas).

Golden Eagle on the Lizard? -got to be genuine??

House Finch at Lands End? - got to be an escape??

(And a spring RBFly on the lizard too - how frequent are spring birds? And almost inland too... plus Bee-eaters etc etc)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back