• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New body coming for 4/3 lenses (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
Olympus have just confirmed that they are working on a new body to provide fast focusing for the Top Pro series of 4/3 lenses. There are few details at the moment and it is not clear whether it will be mirrorless or not and have an optical or electronic viewfinder. It sounds as if it will be using a version of the OM-D sensor which should be good.

It is comforting to know that my lenses should still be usable in the future, although I suspect that we will not see the camera for many months.

Details here.

Ron

Now if only Olympus will come out with a 300mm 2.8 lens specially for its Micro 4/3rds bodies. I'll jump ship in an instant!

Anyway, Happy Aidilfitri/Eid-Ul-Fitr to you Ammadoux!

Now if only Olympus will come out with a 300mm 2.8 lens specially for its Micro 4/3rds bodies. I'll jump ship in an instant!

Anyway, Happy Aidilfitri/Eid-Ul-Fitr to you Ammadoux!

that would be a great thing, and a real challenge for the concept of compact size of the m4/3.

thanks so much Hor Kee hope you also enjoy a great Eid.

I'm not sure how you can expect a 300 mm f/2.8 to be compact. The front lens has to be a minimum of 107 mm in diameter.

I suspect that now there is a clear division between the 'amateur' m4/3 and the 'pro' 4/3 ranges (meaningless description I know, but that is how many think) that we may see a significant divergence with the full size cameras being purely designed for relatively low volume sales but with expensive technology and an appropriate upgrade in price.

I remember that one of the rumours surrounding the original E-1 was that it would have 3 primary colour sensors, just like a video camera. That would really do something for 4/3 quality.

Nice to speculate as I am unlikely to be able to justify buying one - (still using my old E-3; bought cheaply when the E-5 came out - great in the rain!).

In response to Mark's comment - I owned a good 300mm f2.8 back in the film days - really basic lens with no autofocus just an auto aperture and it was not small, your only hope using modern materials is a reduction in weight - fast autofocus just makes things a bit bigger.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back