• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

E-520 + Zd 50-200 Swd + Ec-20 (1 Viewer)

Some splendid shots there Cristian, using a lens combination which most people say doesn't work. How reliable is the focusing and do you need very good light for it?

Ron

Hi Ron,

Yes, a good light is a must. For a good quality image you'll have to use f9 (or f10). All the pictures are taken without tripod, but most of them are taken from the car, using de window frame as a support for the combo. In good light conditions the focus is fast enough for me. Obviously is very difficult (almost impossible) to take good pictures with birds in flight using this combo.

Last edited:
you are an amazing photographer Cristian, i did not like the E520 one bit, on the contrary to E62, which i only gave it up because i got the E5 as a gift.

BTW the E5 is IMHO one of the best if not the best DSLR ever made, i know that because i know many bird photgaphers from my country and Kuwait they use the Bigma with there top of the line and full frame Canons and Nikons, they are very disappointed in the results they get, they just cant believe that i am getting nice shots form it.
like in this shot
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ammadoux/8619083812/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ammadoux/9200667015/

both are quite a crop.

guess the difference in performance is due to the much better sensor and processor used in the E5, i felt it when i upgraded form E620 to E5. even at high ISO the E5 preforms much better.

i just wish Olympus would upgrade the 70-300mm 4/3 lens for one that is much faster in AF, because both the 90-250mm and the 300mm primes are out of reach to most of u

Great shots, Duha. I know the E-5 (my (facebook) friend Toni Genes has one) and I agree that it's a great camera. As you know, I also have the E-620, but for some reasons I use to use E-620 with EC-14 and E-520 with EC-20, switching only the lens from one to the other.

Christian, the problem is that any search only is saved for a short period (1 week I think) so for any such link to be permanent, it cannot be to a search.

Niels

Thank you for this information, Niels.
Any birdforum member could see the pictures using the search tab from gallery and wrinting "Cristian Mihai" (Search by Username) and "EC-20" (Keywords)

Last edited:
This is a great collection of excellent pictures, thanks for sharing.

I have never come close to such results using EC20 on the 50-200, regardless of if I use E520 or E620. Have also tried with two different lenses. Pity because the 50-200 is such a nice lens.

The results I achive could be described as... "soft" (but free from CA). Maybe I should revisit and step down even more?

Splendid shots in deed, Cristian. If you would not tell us, we would not think that you used a 2x teleconvertor. Pictures are very crisp and no CA.

And you have 50-200 SWD. This confirms what I believe - that 50-200SWD+EC20 performs better than 50-200MK1+EC-20.

I used 50-200 MK1 + EC-20, but there was a lot of chromatic aberations and the pictures were not that sharp as you got. But the combination was still good enough.

E5 is a splendid camera. Any lens mounted on E5 produces great results, even standard lenses like 14-42, 70-300...etc. I used E520 some years ago and when I switched to E5 it was a huge improvment in IQ.

-

Last edited:
Links expired. I have the e520 and love it. Can you post photos here direct or via Photobucket (links there will not
expire as long as account is active)B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back