• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (1 Viewer)

OMG will you stop bouncing about from thread to thread? Don't know where you are gong to turn up next o:)

Your Aussie links were all 'authentication failed': are you sure they weren't government sites you hacked?....

Lee

Lee - you are correct! Those links did disappear for a time .... maybe head office forgot about the downunder early mail and decided such early leaks were verboten! Or maybe ASIO had a hand in it ..... |8)|

Whatevs ..... the original links I posted are now up and running again. :cat:

Chosun :gh:

will there be a SF 8x32 model?
(To compete with the Swarovski 8x32 SV)

As for a future Zeiss 8x32, I'm not optimistic about it meeting my criteria if it is based on the full-sized SF design. I don't want a bulky 8x32 like the SV, it's got to be FL or Ultravid size to get my attention. The close focus and focus ratio of the 8x32FL works very well, with no need for variable ratio (unlike the larger bins) so I hope that whatever Zeiss does for a future 8x32 is designed around that small size and is not just a shrunken full-sized SF. All we need to make the 8x32FL perfect is astigmatism correction, a touch less bulk (slim the tubes!), and somewhat better performance (in contrast) against bright overcast skies. Oh, and keep that 52 mm minimum interpupillary spec--it's useful for close viewing, even for folks with 56 mm interpupillary!

--AP

Well Alexis - I think that's called the 8x32 HT, with CFRP body no less! |8)| :smoke:

Strangely, (and rather confusingly :h?:) the 8x32 SF 'could' feature AK prisms if it is going to match the Swaro form factor. Such a beast (although a logistical and marketing nightmare) would be a real killer bin!

Alexis Powell said:
As for a future Zeiss 8x32, I'm not optimistic about it meeting my criteria if it is based on the full-sized SF design. I don't want a bulky 8x32 like the SV, it's got to be FL or Ultravid size to get my attention. The close focus and focus ratio of the 8x32FL works very well, with no need for variable ratio (unlike the larger bins) so I hope that whatever Zeiss does for a future 8x32 is designed around that small size and is not just a shrunken full-sized SF. All we need to make the 8x32FL perfect is astigmatism correction, a touch less bulk (slim the tubes!), and somewhat better performance (in contrast) against bright overcast skies. Oh, and keep that 52 mm minimum interpupillary spec--it's useful for close viewing, even for folks with 56 mm inter pupillary!

I am more and more convinced that Zeiss Germany is reading birdforum to get inspiration about what the market needs. ;)

I am more and more convinced that Zeiss Germany is reading birdforum to get inspiration about what the market needs. ;)

If they really would, they would have come with a 32 SF or 32 HT first, rather than with another 42. And of course with a 7x something.

For sure they are reading birdforum, but probably they don't take us overly serious. Which is probably quite sensible B :)

Well can I finally have my carbon fibre sandwich 9x50 HT then ?! :scribe:

What you really want CJ, is a modular CFRP binocular so you can swap between different magnifications and different objective sizes, but then you would need different bodies too with different sized prisms and lord knows how you would deal with the focusing mechanism. But hey we're just dreaming here so we can express our wildest wish :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

Lee

congratulations to the new Zeiss SF,

will there be a SF 8x32 model?
(To compete with the Swarovski 8x32 SV)

Mike J may want to add more, but in the meantime, he said the following in post number 33 above ........

July was the plan, but I realistically see late August. This will be a high demand global product so as production begins, I will assume availability will be limited as the factory gets going. Every region will get some but it can not be confirmed how fast. Keep in touch with your local retailer is my best suggestion. I can't comment on a 32mm at this time. We will need to get this product under control first before we evaluate the viability of a 32.

Hello Bruce, I will be there representing ZEISS and we should have several to show. Kind Regards, Rich.

Thanks for letting me know. I hope I can make it. You must have drawn the short straw to get a trip to Tucson in the summer! My Windows 8 weather app is showing a "cool" forecast of only 109 F (42.8 C) for today in beautiful sunny Tucson.

Thanks for letting me know. I hope I can make it. You must have drawn the short straw to get a trip to Tucson in the summer! My Windows 8 weather app is showing a "cool" forecast of only 109 F (42.8 C) for today in beautiful sunny Tucson.

But I've heard it's a "dry" heat... ;)

Hi Sagi

I'm no lawyer but as I understand it the Swaro patent covered the focus mechanism not the body style.

SF's body might look similar to EL with a bridge next to the objectives but look higher up and there are bridges each side of the focus wheel, not just on one side like EL: its a triple bridge, not a dual.

Lee

The second bridge below the focus wheel, attached to the axle of the focus wheel, is a non-weight bearing bridge, otherwise the binocular would weigh more. Something has to keep the focusing mechanism in a straight line. Zeiss has been featuring it's focusing prowess and it is certain to get a work out.

Bob

Last edited:
If they really would, they would have come with a 32 SF or 32 HT first, rather than with another 42. And of course with a 7x something.

For sure they are reading birdforum, but probably they don't take us overly serious. Which is probably quite sensible B :)

With all due respect and the owner of BF can confirm this, but ZEISS were early adopters of BF after a few months of launch and some were members within a few weeks. ZEISS were one of the first sponsors.

Last edited:
But I've heard it's a "dry" heat... ;)

You must have watched Jay Leno. That was one of his favorite comments when joking about the AZ heat.

Right now it is 5% humidity in Phoenix and 3% in Tucson per the Windows 8 desktop app. I think that qualifies as dry!

I wonder how I can convince Mike J to send me a SF so I can do heat mirage testing for him. :t: I was getting some nice waves a few minutes ago when I I went to look. The mirage effect is real out here and it does take away from an alpha view. That would be any interesting comparison between different models. I am thinking there would not be much difference between like powers.

This would be a good place for me to voice my complaint about the crappy objective covers all new Zeiss Bins have |:d|

Last edited:
Alexis, I'm certain it's just bog stock linear, despite all the "dynamic" references. .... we went through the same speculative machinations when the recent SLC came out. RonE explained it best if you care to dig that up, and agreed -- it doesn't sound lightning quick either.... prolly quite deliberate.... baby steps for former Swaro owners!

Oh sure, I remember well, because it was me who more than once had to shoot down rumors/misinterpretations of whether the focus of the SV and new SLC are variable-ratio (For the record, they are not). I've been pushing hard for variable-ratio coupled with ultra close focus limit for a long time, and I take every opportunity when a new bin comes out to bring up the matter.

I agree that 1.8 turns does not bode well for focus speed. The 1.5 m close focus is no excuse. After all, the 8x32 FL focuses to 1.5 m (at least for me) and it takes exactly one turn to do so.

--AP

I have been following the information available, and a copy of the US press release is attached.

I do have to give Zeiss a lot of credit, as I find it a bit surprising with this introduction, as the
HT had followed their conventional design.

These do offer many of the things that I like in a high quality binocular, a nice flat field with a view
to the edges, etc.

The FOV that is available with these is very wide, and I would like to see how they can accomplish all of this
compared to how the Swaro. SV and the Nikon EDG have done it.

If you note in the press release, this binocular is aimed straight at the Swarovision. Many similar features
with a better focuser, and "greatly reduced globe effect".

Jerry

Attachments

• Zeiss Victory SF press release. 6-2014.pdf
    33.2 KB · Views: 605
..... I do have to give Zeiss a lot of credit, as I find it a bit surprising with this introduction, as the
HT had followed their conventional design.....

The FOV that is available with these is very wide, and I would like to see how they can accomplish all of this
compared to how the Swaro. SV and the Nikon EDG have done it....

If you note in the press release, this binocular is aimed straight at the Swarovision. Many similar features
with a better focuser, and "greatly reduced globe effect".

Jerry

Jerry,

I too am wondering how Zeiss has managed to keep the weight low while offering such a wide Fov, complex eyepiece, and reasonable ER. Both the Swarovski SV and the Nikon EDGII are finely engineered mechanical instruments, with many intricately designed weight saving features (such as prism waisting and sophisticated and complex magnesium body). Usually, the prisms /oculars are skimped on to keep the weight down - resulting in narrowed Fov and/or truncated exit pupils thus reducing viewed brightness. :cat:

I only hope that the claimed figures for Fov, ER, and weight stand true with actual measurement ..... which may be something of a first! |8.|

Also, the claim of "greatly reduced globe effect" while offering a view that consists of "a sharp image all the way to the edges" is an interesting /bold one which will need further scrutiny / verification. Holger's calculated k value of ~0.7 points toward an EDGII type view, yet one that is not so far removed from the SV, so it may not still suit all those whose eye distortions leave them prone to the effect. I think Brock for at least one, is still gunna struggle..... :-C

The final proof will be in the pudding :eat:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back