• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IS 18x50 (1 Viewer)

KorHaan

Hello all,

I bought a pair of Canon IS 18x50's last saturday, and I would like to
give you some impressions of them.

As you may know, I've longed for these for over a year. After I bought
the 10x30 IS's in april my main goal was to find the biggest magnification
there is in IS to complement the 10x30's. The same store where I bought
the 10x's had the 18x's in stock again, so I phoned them and asked
not to sell them before I had the chance to try them out. Good thing I did,
since Canon binoculars seem to sell so well lately there's hardly any model
in stock very long.

I had brought my 10x30's to compare and to see if the 18x50's would be
worth having. I'm quite satisfied with the 10x's, but once I had picked up
the big, heavy 18x50's and raised them to my eyes, I knew I was going
to take them home. They were surprisingly bright ( though it was a sunny
day - but still ), and the field of view was large enough to get a nice,
wide image. The 10x's have a bigger FOV, but in the 18x50's there is
certainly no tunneling. I wear specs, I forgot to say, so I had folded the
big, rubber eyecups down. I like it when eyecups are big against my
glasses, I must say, there's less straylight coming in.

For this reason, I have cut away the rubber fold-down eyecups of my
10x30 IS's and have put the rubber eyecups of my Minox 8x32's on the
10x30's oculars. They fit perfectly, and I can move them up or down to
get an intermediate setting between all the way up, or folded down, like
in the original 10x30's eyecups. With a good setting there are no black-
outs anymore, and the eyecups are larger in diameter which is more
convenient against my glasses. DIY ergonomics that work!

But back to the 18x50's: even with the IS off they gave a nice, sharp
image when I was viewing trees and lantern poles. With the IS button
engaged, the image became beautifully steady. I think I can hold them
steadier than the 10x30's, it's somewhat more of an effort, yes, but I
think the extra weight of the bulky 18x's is very effective for the IS to
work well.

The magnification is really something else; if you've got used to 10x
stabilized bins, then the 18x50's are yielding that much more detail, that
it's definitely a big step up. My intention to use the 18x's as an
occasional booster next to my 10x30's may have to be reconsidered;
the 18x50's may well become the only pair of binoculars I will use in
open terrain. I am using bins for 40 years so I'm quick in aiming them.
The 18x50's are a handful, but I liked the way they fit my hands and
with a great AFOV and beautiful flat image I had no problems in finding
and tracking flying Herring Gulls and Lesser Blackbacked Gulls in the sky
when I stood outside the store.
The IS button works in two ways: you can press it and hold, like in the
smaller Canon IS models ( where it is the only way to use the IS ), then
switch it off by letting go; and you can press the button quickly, the IS
is then engaged and stays on for 5 minutes and you don't have to press
the button but can grip the bino in the most comfortable way. After 5 minutes the IS switches off automatically.
This is a nice feature; I can feel a little strain when I have to press the button
of my 10x30's with my middle finger, with the 18x's in my hands I can cup them on the palms of my hands and concentrate on the focus wheel.
The focus wheel is twice as big as on my 10x's, and very smooth with a
570* turn from near to far. The close focus is about 5.5 meters, not bad
in my opinion.

The body of the binocular is covered entirely in smooth black rubber and gives a fine grip. The objectives' coatings are reflecting a deep purple, so
it seems that, like in the newer 15x50 models, the deep blue coating in older
models is changed to deep purple in the newer.

The price for the 18x50's was 969.- euro's; they don't come any cheaper
here. I packed them in the totally useless bag - a flimsy black sack without
a strap but with a drawcord to kind of close it - and took them home.
In my backyard I did some more comparing between my two IS bins; the 10x's
are sharper, but the 18x's are giving much better detail. For instance,
the Carrion Crows that are still on their nest in a tall pinetree about 80 yards
away, showed fine plumage detail with the 10x30's. But the feathering on the
upper bill I was only able to see in good detail through the 18x50's. From the base of the bill to less than half the length, as opposed to Common Raven
which has feathering reaching 3/4 of the upper bill length. Not that I could compare these two corvids at that particular moment, Ravens are much rarer
here and certainly not visiting my backyard, but I wanted to give an impression of the kind of detail I got with the 18x Canons. And this is Bird
Forum, after all.

After sunset I sat on the couch and looked outside through the kitchen window, comparing my 10x30's and 18x50's. The houses opposite showed
barely any detail through the 10x30's after dark, I could barely recognise
the gutters on the roofs. With the 18x50's I was able to see the gutters,
the roof tills, the tree leaves and in reasonably decent colour, too.
It seems unbelievable that a 2.8 mm exit pupil gives this kind of detail in the
deep twilight. Something I can't comprehend but still greatly appreciate.

So far my impressions of the 18x50 IS's were very good.
This morning I mounted them on my CF tripod. There's a 1/4'' thread underneath on the body, it's easy and quick. I will use them in this mode
for any serious seawatching, without the need for IS switched on.
I did switch on the IS system, just once, to see how the Canons would
perform. The moment you start scanning the IS seems to go bonkers, the image gets all woozy and nauseating! I guess my tripod is too steady for
the IS system, it looks like the sensor and microprocessor can't cope with
the stable position of the bins on the tripod. I think that on a lightweight cheap tripod the bins perform better with IS switched on, especially in windy conditions.

I am planning to take both 10x and 18x out for birding this week and do some more comparing. I am very pleased I bought the 18x50 IS's instead of the 15x50 IS's; these latter maybe next year.

Best regards,

Ronald

PS : a funny thing happened that I must mention. When sitting behind my
tripod with 18x50's mounted, and looking through my 10x30's
I accidentally looked through the 18x50's with my 10x30's, and was
surprised to see treetops in the very dim image. These trees were at
least 200 yards away but I saw oak leaves very clearly, though very
very dim and not very sharp.
If you look with a 10x bin through a 18x mounted bin, is it sound to
say you've got 180x magnification? It sure looked like it.

Ronald,

Yes, you did have 180x magnification looking through the 18x with a 10x bin.

It was nice to read your report, and will be nice to read more of impressions as you get more use with the 18x50.

About the "useless black sack," I did not find it all that useless when I had the 150x50 with the same sack. Since the binocular has a strap and you can leave it coming out of the sack on both sides of the flap, the sack does not need its own. And, although the sack is not as well padded as are more solid cordura bags, it does protect the binocular from dust, dirt, scratches and minor shocks. Also, the bottom that comes against the optical flats that cover the objective lenses is nicely hardened so the bag pretty well acts as an objective lens cover during transportation. The only accessories you really need, in my opinion, are a better binocular strap (widest neoprene you can find, or a good harness) and an eyepiece rainguard (I always recommend the one for Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50, available as a special-order accessory from Fujinon dealers.

Kimmo

Thanks Ronald, great "low-down" on the 18x50! (I love the 150x mag story...perhaps two pair of bins in line is the answer to our seawatching angst?) I got a wider neoprene neck-strap for my 12x36, as Kimmo recommends, and I took the rubber eyepiece-rainguard from a pair of cheap Bresser binos from the Lidl store...these cost about fifteen euro, and after cannibalising them for accessories, I gave them away. The rainguard fits the 12x36 perfectly, perhaps it´ll fit the 18x50 too...the Bressers are on sale in Lidl every few months.

Ronald,

Yes, you did have 180x magnification looking through the 18x with a 10x bin.

It was nice to read your report, and will be nice to read more of impressions as you get more use with the 18x50.

About the "useless black sack," I did not find it all that useless when I had the 150x50 with the same sack. Since the binocular has a strap and you can leave it coming out of the sack on both sides of the flap, the sack does not need its own. And, although the sack is not as well padded as are more solid cordura bags, it does protect the binocular from dust, dirt, scratches and minor shocks. Also, the bottom that comes against the optical flats that cover the objective lenses is nicely hardened so the bag pretty well acts as an objective lens cover during transportation. The only accessories you really need, in my opinion, are a better binocular strap (widest neoprene you can find, or a good harness) and an eyepiece rainguard (I always recommend the one for Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50, available as a special-order accessory from Fujinon dealers.

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo,

I will post further comments in the future when I'm getting more familiar
with the 18x50's.
Standing in my garden this afternoon, I had the 18x50's around my neck and
picked up every single bird that flew by in my bins. Even Swifts, the FOV
of the 18x50's is that good! A very distant bird of prey turned out to be a soaring Buzzard. Excellent detail recognition with the 18x's, a mere black dot in the sky when seen with the naked eye.

About the black sack: you're right, I hadn't thought of that! You can clip it around the strap when you close the flap! Well, that's a relief. I read on another thread ( in the Nikon subforum ) that Canon All Weather bins are not exactly all weather, they seem to let in water in heavy rain. I'll be a little more careful now that I know that they are not waterproof.
A nice consequence of this is, that I won't need to find a rainguard that is big enough to fit over the vast eyecups! I wouldn't know where to look, the Fujinons are not very well known here, let alone any accessories like rainguards.

I actually like the strap that came with the Canons, strangely enough.
I have had Op-Tech straps of wide neoprene, yes, but sooner or later I swapped them for thinner straps of cotton, or even bootlaces.
Time will tell how the big 18x50's feel after a day out in the field, but I'm looking forward to use them a lot. They are just great.

My 10x30 IS's seem compacts now, I notice the smaller body a lot better.
They are my shopping pair of bins, I take them with me on my walk to the local minimart, afraid as I am that I miss something flying by....

Regards,

Ronald

Thanks Ronald, great "low-down" on the 18x50! (I love the 150x mag story...perhaps two pair of bins in line is the answer to our seawatching angst?) I got a wider neoprene neck-strap for my 12x36, as Kimmo recommends, and I took the rubber eyepiece-rainguard from a pair of cheap Bresser binos from the Lidl store...these cost about fifteen euro, and after cannibalising them for accessories, I gave them away. The rainguard fits the 12x36 perfectly, perhaps it´ll fit the 18x50 too...the Bressers are on sale in Lidl every few months.

Hello Sancho,

I do not like these neoprene straps much, the Canon strap is actually quite nice. No rainguards for me; I've a walkstool and a storm umbrella, that should be sufficient for my kind of birding, sitting for hours on end and seeing b*gger all. Even on my local patch, others seem to be seeing things I'm missing out on the next day. D'oh!!
I'm looking forward to do some serious seawatching with the 18x50's.
August is the start for Shearwaters and Fulmars, and probably a good deal of rare waders on the submerged flower bulb fields in the vicinity.

I'm as happy as a birder can be!

Regards,

Ronald

Some more impressions of the 18x50 IS's.

I went out birding the entire afternoon with them, to my local patch ( a 3-mile stretch
of marshland ) and the adjacent woods. They were not bothersome to wear around my neck, possibly because they don't move, swing or bounce against the chest, no, they're
perfectly still in their hanging position. I've shortened the strap a little, so they're hanging just under my plexus solaris.

I've found the most comfortable diopter setting by now, as well as the IPD setting.
This enhances the sharpness considerably, in my experience.
As I expected these must grow on you; I'm getting more used to the weight and
found a good way to raise them and hold them. The IS button on the right hand
side of the body is more of a blessing than I thought; I automatically place my right
index finger on it and focus with my left hand.
I notice that in this way I prefer to keep my finger on the IS button all the time.
On other occasions I choose to press the button quickly when I raise the bins to
my eyes, so I can let go of the button and cup my palms around the underside
of the body for comfortable viewing. This has become almost second nature.
The off-set IS button pleases me more than the central button on the 10x30
model.

The magnification factor was THE most important issue, and I enjoyed looking at
Reed Buntings and Sedge Warblers through the 18x's much more than with 10x or
8x bins. A passing Goshawk at several hundred yards I got spot on and I saw the
white undertail coverts and the barring on the tail quite well.
Even fast flyers like Barn Swallow and House Martin showed excellent detail, but
with the IS off I could track them more easily in their flight. Perhaps because the
hand tremors are less pronounced when the bins are fluently moving. Like riding
a bicycle, which gets easier when you've got more speed.

The finest moment was when I got to the hide ( well, hide... more of a metal screen
structure with standing room only, but elbow rests available ) and overlooked the
stretch of water with reed beds I know so well. I could actually ID the ducks on the far side, something I never managed with my 10x30 IS's before. There was nothing unusual
just the common birds, but the thrill to get so close up with them made me smile.

Next I got to the woods; a Wood Warbler singing high up a tree I could find with little
effort. Great detail, even got to see the long primary projection on the bird.
And mind you, this was in dense foliage with a perfectly camouflaged bird.
I always had trouble finding these little things among the wall of leaves in late spring,
with my 8x roofs.
Woodpeckers like Black, Great Spotted and Green I saw in better detail than ever before
( except maybe once when I had brought my scope and could zoom in on a Black woodpecker's head, saw the tongue flit in and out! ).
These big binoculars can even be useful in dense woodland. The DOF is not very good
understandably, which blurs the front and background out of focus, making it easier
to spot and follow birds in full focus flitting through the bushes.

To my surprise I concluded these bins are more allround to use than I had anticipated.
Of course 8x42's or 8x32's are brighter in woodland, but the 18x50's are not really dim.
Most fun it is, to sit on a low stool and watch the open stretches in the wood. It's no
effort holding the bins, elbows on knees, for prolonged periods and just wait and see
what goes by. It's rewarding too, in the sense that every bird can be ID'ed even small ones.

When I got home after four hours with the 18x50's around my neck I still felt only very little strain, the original Canon strap is well to my liking.

Story to be continued,
impressions so far : very glad I bought them, yippeeee!!!

Best regards,

Ronald

Hi Ronald,

Your impressions so far have made an interesting read. Now and again I have a go at digibinning with my normal bins and I am wondering how much of an advantage it would be attaching a point and shoot camera to those IS bins.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

I have a small camera myself which I usually forget to take with me, but it could be interesting to see if I can shoot some pictures through the 18x50's.
The large rubber eyecups may prove to be an advantage, if the camera lens fits.
If the eyecup is too large I would have to invent a gadget to connect camera and bins.
I have no experience with digibinning but when you engage the IS system it could be possible to look through one ocular and hold the camera to the other. What you see is what you shoot, at least in theory. Given the weight it may become a tour-de-force, however. Stationary birds may be easier than flying birds.
Mind that the DOF is modest, so the subject should be sharp in focus; a lower mag bin may be more forgiving. A monopod would be a great help too.

I don't know a thing about digibinning but I might try a few pictures. It could well be worth the effort.

Kind regards,

Ronald

Hi Chris,

The idea is sound, but probably needs some work to get good results.
I took a few pictures on a recent trip to Peru with a Canon A620/10x42IS setup and it worked on stationary targets such as a parrot looking out its nest hole. However, holding the camera against the ocular is clumsy, even though the swiveling LCD viewfinder of the camera made it easier to orient the binoculars correctly. A fixture to attach the camera to the binoculars would greatly facilitate that. Unfortunately the camera is too big and the binocs too small to use Ronald's idea of sharing the two oculars between camera and eye, so the view finder is the only guide. At least the IS stays on for 5 minutes on the 10x42 once engaged. A bystander would be needed to keep the IS button pushed while you're binoscoping with the 10x30 or the 12x36.
Maybe there is a youtube video in this as well....

Thanks for the replies.
I use the Nikon 4500 and 7900 with my bins and also for digiscoping, the 7900 is ideal because of the light weight. You can make adaptors out of a solid foam material, if this is a snug fit on the bins use an elastic band to hold the camera against the foam. I use self timer or shutter button.
This system is ideal when travelling light and you just need that record shot.

Regards,
Chris.

The lens of my Olympus U780 camera is way too small to fit into the 18x50 IS's eyecup.
I have to find some foam ring to put inside the eyecup so the camera can be attached without possibly do damage to the bin's ocular.

Once more on my local patch with the Canon 18x50 IS's this afternoon. The sky was overcast with sunny spells. Once more I was impressed by the bin's performance at both short and long range. A Hobby hunting dragonflies at 80-90 yards I was able to track, it showed beautiful detail. A small plover foraging on the dried-up mud flats appeared to be a Little Ringed, yellow eyering just barely visible at estimated distance of 150 yards.
A bird of prey on an electricity pylon at least 500 yards off I ID'd as Goshawk on jizz, but allowing the IS system some time I got steady enough views to see the whitish underparts on the bird, the dark hood and short primary projection.
I then even picked up a Purple Heron flying at least a mile away, ID'd it on jizz but was quite confident it was one. Normally I let these far birds pass unidentified.
There were many more birds and it was a sheer joy to look at them, close up or further off, through 18x mag bins.

Still surprised to notice no strain in neck and shoulders with these heavyweights after several hours! I won't need a bino harness, the strap is pretty good.

In my backyard a throng of House Sparrows were on my birdfeeder, it's breathtaking to watch these little guys through the 18x's, studying every tiny feather detail, the vivid colours. I was sitting in a comfy chair 6 meters away, and switched between the 18x50's and the 10x30's Canons. I like the 18x50's better. Definitely so.
These are great bino's.

More soon,

Ronald

There is an ad on the inside front cover of the current (July/August) "Birdwatcher's Digest" featuring Canon 18 x 50/15 x 50 IS ALL WEATHER binoculars. It begins as follows: "Instead of a spotting scope and tripod..........."

Bob

Hi Bob,

The 18x50 IS's can be a good alternative for a spotting scope + tripod, and that's indeed why I bought them in the first place, to be free of the nuisance of carrying that lot; though they do a very good job the 18x50's have limitations. A decent scope on a good tripod will no doubt show more detail, most certainly so with a zoom eyepiece.

I chose comfort by purchasing the Canons and selling the scope. It's quite a relief to trot around only having bins around my neck. I'm still missing birds far off, clearly, I mean really far off, that could have been ID'd with a scope, but I'm having a lot more fun right now, I'd recommend the 18x50 IS's as a truly useful tool in the field and a fun gadget on all kind of outings.

Saw a fox this afternoon! Never before in broad daylight in the woods where I spend most of my time. It's actually an estate, with old deciduous forest. I was sitting comfortably on a bench when I suddenly noticed the fox, walking on the small bridge on my left hand side. A quick glance was all I got through the 18x50's, it abruptly stopped, stared at me and turned around and ran off.
In the weekends this place is crowded with people, but today I was there alone.
Great encounter, brief views but what a thrill!

Regards,

Ronald

I've found out that the rechargeables that won't fit the 10x30 IS's ( they got jammed )
DO fit nicely in the 18x50 IS's. So I can use them, after all.
This is a good thing, because the Duracell AA batteries I'm using now last only a day and a half. That's four times shorter than the same batteries in the 10x30's, which will give enough power for six days. Both with IS system frequently used ( read this as: all the time ).
It's a downside of the 18x50's that I mention anyway to get a fair review of them.
I have freshly loaded rechargeables installed now and will see how long these last in field use.

Another minor issue I have to mention in the 18x50's is that the little door of the battery compartment can only be opened and closed with a coin in a slot, and a 90 * turn.
The battery compartment door in the 10x30's can simply be opened with a fingernail and closed shut with a firm click. Easier in the field. I suppose the compartment in the 18x50's has to be closed hermetically for use in all weather (rain) hence this more bothersome locking system.

Both negative aspects are easily forgotten when you experience the benefits of the IS system. I had my doubts about batteries in a binocular, like many others, but the trick is just to load up the bins and forget your batteries.
Never heard anyone complaining his Ferrari needs fuel. Those 250 miles an hour you won't get by driving the Fred Flintstone way.

Ronald

FWIW, not all rechargeable NiMH batteries are the same size e.g. I don't have any problems with the fitting of the NiMH batteries I use in my IS 10x30. But as we talked about this before perhaps the ones you are using are close to the upper size limit for AA/LR6 batteries.

I generally carry a spare set of alkaline for when the NiMH run out in the field. It doesn't happen very often. Why alkaline? We'll they don't self-discharge so I know they're always good. And they don't try to melt or burn things if you should accidently short them when carrying them!

I generally carry a spare set of alkaline for when the NiMH run out in the field. It doesn't happen very often. Why alkaline? We'll they don't self-discharge so I know they're always good. And they don't try to melt or burn things if you should accidently short them when carrying them!

Thanks for that, Kevin.

I didn't know that about the alkalines. I carry a set of four fresh alkalines in a little plastic holder that keeps them nicely separated.

Went birding this morning, to my local patch. Glorious morning it was, sunshine and lots of birds. Took my 18x50's and my 10x30's to compare.
For an overall viewing of the scenery the 10x's worked best.
I believe they show the best image in any 10x bin I ever had, the IS being the most important factor of course.
Really enjoyable was sitting down and gazing through the 18x50's at foraging waders, Spoonbills, Purple Herons and Great Egrets. I could ID even the smaller waders far off. The 18x's really come into their own when sitting down and resting your elbows on your knees. I could ID Sand Martins resting on the sedges about 200 yards away.

In the hide I enjoyed looking at ducks and geese for an hour or so.
By this time I had put the 10x30's in the bag and focused my attention on the 18x50's. I believe I am now officially addicted to the bigger picture.
Besides a single female Marsh Harrier and a Buzzard there were no birds of prey. I'd hoped to see a few on thermals.

Not much flying over my backgarden, spent a few hours looking at the sky after I came home from my local patch. One Buzzard hovering and soaring slowly, showing great detail through the 18x's. You can feel your arms getting tired, but due to the IS you can kind of ignore it and keep viewing, the image remains great.

I'll clean the glass surfaces for now and then I'm off to bed.

Regards,

ronald

Also Hooked on Canons IS bins

KorHaan (Ronald)

I am also happy with a pair of 18X 50 IS Canons that I bought maybe 5-6 years ago. They are my preference when I want the highest magnification to see the greatest detail. The IS is a great invention. I can literally read signs more than a mile away although I cannot even see the sign itself with the naked eye. It is amazing.

I use them for aviation work and watching boats from shore. They are excellent for that.

I do find that they can get heavy after awhile.

I started with the 10X30s just as you did, about 10 years ago. They were among the first IS bins issued. I still use them on occasion.

Then a couple of years ago I found what I felt were the best compromise of magnification and light weight that I have encountered. The Canon 12X36 IS. The new version of them. I wound up getting them as well. I just came back from a 3 week trip in Europe with them, (I live in the US, in Florida). They were excellent. Not as heavy as the 18X50s but more powerful than the 10X30s.

What I will say is that the segment that Canon is lacking in is quality IS compact bins. I know they have the 8x IS version, but it is not really all that compact and has that weird battery, and when I tried a pair it just did not feel good to me. So for good quality compact bins I use a pair of Leica 8X20 Ultravids. They are excellent. I carry them all of the time. But if Canon made a pair of 10X IS compact bins I think I would go for them.

So for me, if I travel, and I have the room, I take a great combination. The Leica 8X20s, and the Canon 12X36 IS. But if I am in my home city, I use the 18X50 IS for the greatest detail/magnification.

If I am weight/space limited I just take the little 8X20 Leicas. Oddly I have found an interesting use for them. When I am in a strange city and trying to read street signs and find my way while driving, when I stop at a stop light, I can use them to see what the street signs are several blocks away. I did that in Rome last week, and it was very helpful. It is such a crowded city and the street signs are hard to see as they are grey on grey. It makes it much easier. Of course, people look at you funny, like you are a spy or something, but what the heck.

But for the best detail at high magnification, you have the best with the 18X50s. They are just heavy for me to carry around a lot.

Allan

Hello.
This is a very interesting thread about IS binoculars. I am new in these forum and i am trying out birding.
I like to ask the birders with more experience some questions to the IS binoculars:
They seems to be very good for details. Is this also correct for difficult light situations? What about the true colors of birds? No CA?
Thanks for your answersm and sorry for my bad english.I am from switzerland.

Cannot speak to the 18x50s, but have been very happy with the Canon 10x42ISL optical performance, including CA and stray light elimination.
The image is very bright but quite neutral, so colors appear true to my eyes. There may even be an objective test for that, which some of the experts on this forum could describe, but I do not know it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back