Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 20th February 2013, 20:30   #1
looksharp65
Registered User
 
looksharp65's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Varberg, Sweden
Posts: 1,766
Meopta Meosport 8x25

According to the Meopta - optika s.r.o. Facebook page, Meopta is about to launch an 8x25 called Meosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meopta - optika s.r.o
The new MeoSport 8x25 pocket sized binoculars offer the opportunity to view all the great things in our world while not being cumbersome or bulky to carry on your daily adventures. 100% waterproof, the MeoSport 8x25 is ideal for beginner binocular users, day-travelers or anyone interested in having A Better View of the World.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Namnlös.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	429537  
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visby_lenses - The Viking optics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuBYpRkbzrs - The Viking War Cry

Last edited by looksharp65 : Wednesday 20th February 2013 at 20:35. Reason: Picture added
looksharp65 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th February 2013, 20:45   #2
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar
 
dwatsonbirder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksharp65 View Post
According to the Meopta - optika s.r.o. Facebook page, Meopta is about to launch an 8x25 called Meosport.
Looks like a great bit of kit for £34.34! Any details of the specs yet?
__________________
Kind regards,
Daniel

Support Oriental Bird Club
dwatsonbirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 20th February 2013, 21:04   #3
looksharp65
Registered User
 
looksharp65's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Varberg, Sweden
Posts: 1,766
Can't find any other info anywhere. To be honest, I wouldn't expect stellar optics at that price. Hope they know what they're doing...
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visby_lenses - The Viking optics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuBYpRkbzrs - The Viking War Cry
looksharp65 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 21st February 2013, 12:21   #4
FrankD
Registered User
 
FrankD's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,365
Cute bin. Now I have to go google convert Euros to dollars to figure out what 34.34 equates to.



The question, in my mind, is going to be whether or not these are Czech bins or Chinese bins....at that price.

__________________
Visit our Optics Review site......
http://opticstheviewfromhere.com/
Digiscoped videos .....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
FrankD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 21st February 2013, 17:36   #5
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 10,761
No specs available for them and nothing on Meopta's USA site yet. The old Columbia 8 x 25 made by Kruger was in this price range when they were being discontinued and sold by CameraLand. They had a 360' FOV. Kruger's website doesn't list them anymore. They used to be part of their "Back Country" series. If the Meopta is that good it will be an excellent buy.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 30th May 2013, 20:49   #6
soaringeagle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 3
Meopta Meo Sport 8X25 binoculars - First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
No specs available for them and nothing on Meopta's USA site yet. The old Columbia 8 x 25 made by Kruger was in this price range when they were being discontinued and sold by CameraLand. They had a 360' FOV. Kruger's website doesn't list them anymore. They used to be part of their "Back Country" series. If the Meopta is that good it will be an excellent buy.

Bob
Have just taken delivery of a pair of Meopta Meo Sport 8X25 armoured, roof
prism binoculars. My first impressions are: 1. Beautifully made and well armoured.
2. Mechanically very good - focus wheel smooth but not sloppy.
3. Lovely weight and balance - unlike some 8X25 bins which feel more like
toys. These look and feel like proper bins. Nice heft to them - they weigh just
less than 1lb, in fact 400g which is quite heavy for an 8X25.
4. Very good detail and contrast, no vignetting/colour fringe and surprisingly bright. Good eye relief/excellent screw out eye cups and firm/positive diopter adjustment.

These 8X25 bins are delightful to hold and use. The rubber armour makes them that little bit larger and more comfortable to hold. They are beautifully made - fold open/close smoothly and stay put unless you adjust them/no drift. I took a gamble with these, not being able to buy one of the flagship Meopta range. In good light you could easily leave your best bins at home
and enjoy some great viewing with these.The Meo Sport bins are well packed with an informative booklet, soft case, strap and a signed test certificate.

Where are they made? Doesn't state where on the box or bins and even the Meopta UK rep. isn't sure but feels that it's almost certain to be in the Czech
Republic. Cost? Not cheap as some have suggested they might be. I paid £120for them but consider them well worth it. A lovely pair of Leica 8X25 bins will cost you around £500 new in the UK - my dad's got a pair - they're certainly
better but not that much better, certainly not 4 times better!
By the way, I don't work for or sell Meopta products.
YouTube has a short video of the Meopta Meo Sport bins just type in the
make/model and you'll find it.
soaringeagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 30th May 2013, 20:59   #7
soaringeagle
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaringeagle View Post
Have just taken delivery of a pair of Meopta Meo Sport 8X25 armoured, roof
prism binoculars. My first impressions are: 1. Beautifully made and well armoured.
2. Mechanically very good - focus wheel smooth but not sloppy.
3. Lovely weight and balance - unlike some 8X25 bins which feel more like
toys. These look and feel like proper bins. Nice heft to them - they weigh just
less than 1lb, in fact 400g which is quite heavy for an 8X25.
4. Very good detail and contrast, no vignetting/colour fringe and surprisingly bright. Good eye relief/excellent screw out eye cups and firm/positive diopter adjustment.

These 8X25 bins are delightful to hold and use. The rubber armour makes them that little bit larger and more comfortable to hold. They are beautifully made - fold open/close smoothly and stay put unless you adjust them/no drift. I took a gamble with these, not being able to buy one of the flagship Meopta range. In good light you could easily leave your best bins at home
and enjoy some great viewing with these.The Meo Sport bins are well packed with an informative booklet, soft case, strap and a signed test certificate.

Where are they made? Doesn't state where on the box or bins and even the Meopta UK rep. isn't sure but feels that it's almost certain to be in the Czech
Republic. Cost? Not cheap as some have suggested they might be. I paid £120for them but consider them well worth it. A lovely pair of Leica 8X25 bins will cost you around £500 new in the UK - my dad's got a pair - they're certainly
better but not that much better, certainly not 4 times better!
By the way, I don't work for or sell Meopta products.
YouTube has a short video of the Meopta Meo Sport bins just type in the
make/model and you'll find it.
Brochure on internet shows a Czech price of 999 Czech Koruna which equates to UK £34! I doubt you'll be able to buy a pair of these bins at such a price - perhaps if you live in the Czech republic. I've tried. If they do become available at that price in the future, I'm going to but another two pairs.
soaringeagle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 30th May 2013, 21:28   #8
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist
 
james holdsworth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ontario
Posts: 2,942
Isn't Meosport a drink mix?
james holdsworth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 30th May 2013, 21:40   #9
looksharp65
Registered User
 
looksharp65's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Varberg, Sweden
Posts: 1,766
Could we please have the focus direction?

//L
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visby_lenses - The Viking optics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuBYpRkbzrs - The Viking War Cry
looksharp65 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 30th May 2013, 22:35   #10
Roadbike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 388
FOV is 6.3 degrees which is a bit narrow. At that low price it should find buyers.
Roadbike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 30th May 2013, 22:58   #11
John Russell
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cologne
Posts: 973
Price at a large dealer here in Germany is €148, which ties in with the 120 GBP paid by soarineagle.

John
John Russell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 31st May 2013, 22:36   #12
brocknroller
Registered User
 
brocknroller's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central PA
Posts: 5,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbike View Post
FOV is 6.3 degrees which is a bit narrow. At that low price it should find buyers.
Same FOV as the much more expensive Leica 8x20 Ultravid:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#Specification

I think the Alpen Wings 8x25 ED have 6.8* FOV, but the only compact I know that has a wide FOV (i.e., 60* AFOV) is the Docter 8x21 @ 7.5* TFOV, and sharp to 90% out, according to the review on binomania.

I'm still waiting for someone on BF to buy one. I'm not a fan of compacts, but the FOV and large sweet spot in the Docter compact makes this one worth considering. It's also a lot less expensive than alphas but MIG.

Brock
brocknroller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 1st June 2013, 07:10   #13
PatrikIver
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kaarina, Finland
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocknroller View Post

... but the only compact I know that has a wide FOV (i.e., 60* AFOV) is the Docter 8x21 @ 7.5* TFOV, and sharp to 90% out, according to the review on binomania.

I'm still waiting for someone on BF to buy one. I'm not a fan of compacts, but the FOV and large sweet spot in the Docter compact makes this one worth considering. It's also a lot less expensive than alphas but MIG.

Brock
I *think* the Docter might be the same bin as the Opticron DBA 8x21 Oasis. They look very similar and share the same specifications. The Opticron is made in Japan, so if it indeed is the same bin, then Docter probably (?) "only" brands the 8x21, as opposed to actually makes them.

I own the Opticron since several years, and do like it for what is is.

B.r.
Patrik Iver
PatrikIver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 1st June 2013, 22:16   #14
Roadbike
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 388
6.3 degrees is relatively narrow on an 8x binocular regardless of the brand name. Equates to an apparent field of about 50. However if the optics are as good as described they could be worth a look.
Roadbike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
leupold rouge 8x25 vs olympus tracker 8x25 zazenke Leupold 2 Tuesday 3rd July 2012 18:21
Alpen Pro 8X25 335 the same as the Opticron Taiga 8x25? Kevin Purcell Others 0 Tuesday 7th October 2008 21:16
Olympus PCI 8x25??? birdlove Others 5 Thursday 21st August 2008 13:48
New 8x25 Canon IS 8x25 Binoculars have HARD focus! denco@comcast.n Canon 5 Thursday 15th February 2007 05:04



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.22069001 seconds with 25 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04.