Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 5th July 2013, 22:54   #1
capdegat

8x25

My wife is having to give up her Ziess victory fl's 8x42 due to wrist problems. Are there any decent 8x25 to replace them ? I think that 8x is the biggest magnification given that's what she has now and she would still like to keep a decent field of view .
Old Friday 5th July 2013, 22:58   #2
capdegat

ADMIN
Can you change this to the right forum please ? Brain's obviously gone !
thanks
Old Saturday 6th July 2013, 00:14   #3
eitanaltman

What about the Swaro CL? It's extremely light and compact for a 32mm, and she wouldn't be sacrificing nearly as much in terms of optics and ergonomics going all the way to a "subcompact" binocular. The ladies love them...
Old Saturday 6th July 2013, 00:34   #4
momotych

Leica 8x20 Ultravid would please your wife. Surely!
Old Saturday 6th July 2013, 00:46   #5
PhilR.

While I think that there are indeed some "decent" 25mm binos out there, I have a feeling that anyone used to Zeiss is not going to find most of them decent. If however you would consider adding 1mm, then you might consider the Bushnell 7x26 Elite Custom Compact, which is supposedly a very good set of bins.

Of course there are the Zeiss 25mm's too, but it seems like the reviews can run both hot and cold. The Sightron SI 8x25 might be a pretty good one too, if (and yes, it's a big "if") the optical goodness of the SII 8x30 can be taken as an indicator. Haven't use one, but it might well be worth your time to check them out.

In case you didn't know it, the new Zen-Ray ZRS 8x32 only weighs about 15.5 oz. This is only a few ounces more than a lot of 25mm bins. There isn't any in-depth reviews of them yet, but if she can handle 16 ounces, these would probably be better than most 25mm bins. Opticron has one that is very similar in size and even lighter in weight, but I can't remember the model name. Celestron also has a clone of the Z-R called the Trailseeker too.

But definitely look at (or through) the Bushnell Elite......

Last edited by PhilR. : Saturday 6th July 2013 at 00:48. Reason: additional info
Old Saturday 6th July 2013, 01:12   #6
ceasar

Can she wait until the fall when the new line of Swarovski compacts come out? There will be an 8 x 25.

Here is a recent discussion about the 10 x 25 version but the 8 x 25 is also discussed in it.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=260755

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 6th July 2013, 11:20   #7
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by capdegat View Post
My wife is having to give up her Ziess victory fl's 8x42 due to wrist problems. Are there any decent 8x25 to replace them ? I think that 8x is the biggest magnification given that's what she has now and she would still like to keep a decent field of view .
How bad are her wrist problems? The thing is, she's used to having an exit pupil of 5.25mm. Dropping down to 3.13mm is quite a step, and the smaller the exit pupil is the harder it is to use the bin. Also, most of the compacts have a smallish field of view and are not as easy to focus, because of the smaller knob.

I think I'd do it the other way round: Try to work out with her how much weight is still acceptable, and then try to find a bin with as large an exit pupil as possible *and* good optics. Most 8x30s/8x32s are quite a bit lighter than the 8x42, the Zeiss Fl 8x32 for instance is 550gr., the Leica Ultravid 8x32 is 535gr. That's almost 250gr. lighter than the Zeiss FL 8x42.

The Swarovski 8x30 CL is lighter still, but has a narrower field of view. I also don't like the optics all that much. The Swarovski 8x25 CL has an even smaller field of view but is lighter still at 345 gr. How good the optics are nobody knows for sure yet.

Hermann
Old Saturday 6th July 2013, 15:03   #8
ceasar

You can still get the Nikon 8 x 30 EII in Europe. It's a great binocular! It is a porro prism and it has a really wide FOV. I've forgotten how much it weighs but it isn't very heavy and with it's wider porro design it might be easier for your wife to hold than a roof prism. She can grasp it lightly in her full palms for better support.

Leupold also makes a very good, lightweight 8 x 30 porro prism which is quite reasonably priced. It is called the "Yosemite."

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular...-black-natural

It comes in Black or Natural and weighs 17 ounces.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Saturday 6th July 2013 at 15:07.

Old Saturday 6th July 2013, 15:47   #9
typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
You can still get the Nikon 8 x 30 EII in Europe. It's a great binocular! It is a porro prism and it has a really wide FOV. I've forgotten how much it weighs but it isn't very heavy and with it's wider porro design it might be easier for your wife to hold than a roof prism. She can grasp it lightly in her full palms for better support.

Leupold also makes a very good, lightweight 8 x 30 porro prism which is quite reasonably priced. It is called the "Yosemite."

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular...-black-natural

It comes in Black or Natural and weighs 17 ounces.

Bob
Clifton Cameras amongst others has the EII (575g). The Leupold Yosemite, Opticron Savannah and Kowa YF (around 490g) are essentially the same design. Good for the money but not in the same league as the Nikon or FL obviously. In my opinion the Bushnell Elite 7x26 (342g) is rather closer. The Opticron Traveller Mg (367g) is very light for an x32. It does have some odd quirks and is rather more fun as the 6x32 IMO.

I was pretty impressed by the Hawke Sapphire ED 8x25 (241g). The double hinge and tiny focus mean it's a bit fiddly to use, but for view, I thought it was right up there with the Swarovski compact it emulates. A bit better on eye relief than some of the alpha compacts for glasses if that matters. I've not been very impressed with other cheaper 8x25 roofs I've tried.

David
Old Saturday 6th July 2013, 22:04   #10
capdegat

Thanks for all the replies . Unfortunately her wrists are pretty bad so its definitely smaller is better .I think around 300gm is the optimum we can aim for, so it looks like x25 max . She's had injection but more are looking on the cards. It's not just bins - kettle, teapot everything is too heavy !
Old Sunday 7th July 2013, 00:17   #11
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by capdegat View Post
Thanks for all the replies . Unfortunately her wrists are pretty bad so its definitely smaller is better .I think around 300gm is the optimum we can aim for, so it looks like x25 max . She's had injection but more are looking on the cards. It's not just bins - kettle, teapot everything is too heavy !
In that case look at the Bushnell 7 x 26 Custom Compact Elite. It is only 42 grams more or about 1.5 ounces.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular...pact-binocular

7x will minimize the effects of any hand tremors your wife may have. It has one of the widest FOVs of any compact binocular. It is optically first rate. It may be the most popular birding compact binocular in history. It's history is at least 2 decades old and it has been consistently upgraded with the newest coatings. Many experts consider it the only compact binocular suitable for serious birding.

Bob

Old Sunday 7th July 2013, 02:31   #12
Kammerdiner

The current Bushnell 7x26 Elites are heavier than spec. Mine weighs 384g (13.5oz). Still pretty light though, and a very good choice. It has a big, smooth focus knob if that helps.

If that weight is acceptable, you might try the Opticron Traveller which is 12.9 ounces for the 6x32mm and 13.4 for the 8x32mm. I hope to see these some time.

The upcoming Swaro 8x25 will be lighter still at 12.2 ounces.

Below that, you'll be looking at the alpha 8x20's, or the cheap stuff. One cheapo that really works is the Olympus 8x25 reverse porro Tracker. A mere 278g (9.8 ounce). I've used it for years and think it works darn well. The 8x20's are not a great choice for a primary binocular. They get pretty fussy in terms of eye placement.

Mark

PS: I should have mentioned the Vortex Viper 8x28mm, which is 11.8 ounces. I've only looked through it briefly, indoors, but it looked really good. Field of view on some of these compacts is fairly narrow, but I've always managed to get by. They work.

Last edited by Kammerdiner : Sunday 7th July 2013 at 02:59.
Old Sunday 7th July 2013, 08:54   #13
momotych

Meopta Meostar B1 8x32 are very comfotable binos. Wide FOV, 570g...

Last edited by momotych : Sunday 7th July 2013 at 09:18.
Old Sunday 7th July 2013, 10:02   #14
Tinepree

She may want to look into monoculars (to replace or use alongside binoculars).

Probably much easier to hold, and she can use both hands for that ...

That and a good pair of wrist braces.
Old Sunday 7th July 2013, 12:15   #15
ibramr

Greetings. If cost is also an issue, consider Nikon Travelite. The older model 7x20 is only 7.4 OZ. The newer 8x25 is only 9.2 OZ. Enjoy in good health.

Last edited by ibramr : Sunday 7th July 2013 at 12:17. Reason: Additional information
Old Sunday 7th July 2013, 15:36   #16
Binastro

. Although they may be too small I find that a selected Chinese 6 x 18 waterproof very low price binocular with a 7.5 field gives good results.
They are independent eyepiece focusing but if you set the centre for Infinity the bottom of the field works very well for closer distances and you can use parts of the field in between centre and bottom.

I've given some of these to friends and relatives and they love them having used them for 10 years or so.

They are very light, I will weigh them later.

For astronomy one can use a mirror mount where you don't have to touch the binocular at all except to move it for different parts of the sky.
Here you could use the 42 mm binocular that you already have.

Besides injections a physiotherapist may be able to suggest gentle exercises.
Also there are wrist supports and arthritic gloves which have all the fingers and thumbs exposed. These work very well but you have to get the correct size.
I don't know if alpha-stim could help here. one would need an experienced neurologist to advise.

In addition pacing oneself with short periods of observation and then rest helps a lot.

The 6 x 18 waterproof seven-day shop binocular has a weight of 135 g or 4 3/4 ounces.
There are also of course high-quality 6 x 18 I think from Zeiss and others.

With wrist problems and other similar restrictions it is definitely better to do too little rather than too much.
Then hopefully one can slowly build up a little strength but learning never to do too much even on a good day.

Last edited by Binastro : Sunday 7th July 2013 at 15:56.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: