• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photo Backpack Recommendation (1 Viewer)

Jim WIllett

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good backpack to carry my Canon 500 F4.0 L IS with body. Not fussed if body is attached or not. I would also like to fit the following in too. Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 100 f2.8 L IS, canon 1.4x extender and Canon 580 EXII flash.

Thank You
Jim

Well Jim, in my experience finding the "right" camera backpack is as personal as finding shoes that fit your feet and your style. What I can tell you is I used to have a Lowepro Vertex 300, but turns out it wasn't quite the right fit for my 500 f/4 L IS, and in fact the pack weighed as much as the lens before I ever put anything in it. After much gnashing of teeth I eventually ended up with a Gura Gear Bataflae 32L. Here's my own review of that pack -http://www.carolinawildphoto.com/bataflae.htm - with a photo of what I have in it. While it's different from your stable of lenses, I think yours will fit in it fine.

Beyond fit, there are many other considerations and preferences you will have. I chose the Bataflae because of its light weight (largest/lightest I could find), the "butterfly" openings that also open as a single large lid when desired, and the "looks" that's more like luggage (not at all like a "hiking" sort of camera backpack [i.e.- Lowepro, Tamrac, Kata, etc.]). The price was steep, but I found it pre-owned and saved a little.

So between this post and my review you can see what features I chose in a backpack that would take my 500mm. There are others out there, and I'm not sure what is available in the UK. Mainly I wanted to be sure you thought it through thoroughly. Lots of variables to think about to get the "right" one for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back