• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Genesis 8x33 ... Why Spend More ??? (1 Viewer)

Porsches

I am with Kevin on this one.

I don't mind later 911s at all, but they must be air-cooled.

So for me the ultimate 911 is the 993. It has a wider sweet-spot than the earlier ones :smoke:

Lee

I keep coming back here to find commentary about an interesting binocular

and it's always about a car

...boring!

CG

The thread was basically a diatribe saying you must be nuts to spend ''x'' on binoculars. It's been done here a thousand times.

A discussion on Porsche's is far more interesting, IMO.:-O

It's a glass I'm not familiar with and I'm interested to hear what others have to say about it. Have there been any improvements to it recently... like coatings.

When I look at the Allbinos review (which may be dated), its downfall appears to be the lack of perfect circles, vignetting. I'm not hearing this mentioned in user comments and I'm wondering if it may have been a bad sample in the test, maybe? If you adjust this item in line with most binoculars in the rankings, it lands well within the top tier and ahead of some bigger name, bigger price tag binoculars. So, I'm thinking the OP 's claim may be valid.

From the web, I'm gathering it's about a 50/50 tossup if this is $1k alpha glass or not. Really no consensus to prove or disprove.

CG

CG, seems two aspects are sometimes overlooked about the excellent Allbinos reports. One is that the set of tests selected (e.g. none for resolution - explained by them) and some tests themselves are a bit subjective.

The other is the scale of scores resulting. Presntly in the "8x32s" (actually 30 to 33) Zeiss Victory FL is at position 1 and Kowa Genesis is at 10. The socres are (resp.) 143.1 and 132.9. I believe a better idea is given (to most) if these are / by 10: at a glance 14.3 and 13.3 look closer. Some others: Nikon SE 14.1, Leica Ultravid HD 13.9, N. Monarch 7 12.8; the lovely Zeiss Jena 11.4. Not yet tested: Meopta /Euro HD, N. EDG, Swarovski Swarovision, Z. Conquest HD. Sorry I forgot the N. SE in my earlier list.

In the big Cornell test a few months ago, where the scoring was mostly subjective, the K. Genesis was given a "Clarity/crispness" score of 4.3 out of 5.0, good but not among the best.

Nearly all other reports I have seen equate its optical quality to "alpha". Binomania in their test don't use that word but imply it, and Piergiovanni presents two simulated sharpness pics vs Z. V. FL showing it to be better.

BTW, glad to turn away from those deluded people who believe complicated luxury suites are Porsches.

BTW, glad to turn away from those deluded people who believe complicated luxury suites are Porsches.

So you miss those incredibly spartan Porsche interiors of yore? Do you miss all that trailing throttle oversteer as well? It killed a friend of mine and dang near put me in the ditch any number of times. Ah, the good old days. ;)

Mark

Maybe a 917K?

And, yes, the new 981 really is the ''new'' 911 - smaller, lighter and more agile. More like my childhood dreamcar, the 1984 911 Carrera........:t:
I think a 935 was in one of the first car mags I ever read in the late 70's. I vaguely remember it being a copy of Motor.

Sorry for going OT btw.

Rich

So you miss those incredibly spartan Porsche interiors of yore? Do you miss all that trailing throttle oversteer as well? It killed a friend of mine and dang near put me in the ditch any number of times. Ah, the good old days. ;)

Mark

I'd prefer a 356 myself. Wouldnt even have to be a super 90. Though given an option these days I would take a nicely restored late 60's Ford Bronco and the money difference over any late Porsche ride.

I'd prefer a 356 myself. Wouldnt even have to be a super 90. Though given an option these days I would take a nicely restored late 60's Ford Bronco and the money difference over any late Porsche ride.

8-P You must be gettin' old like me. My 27 year-old Porsche sits in the garage with a dead battery. I jump it once in a while.

8-P You must be gettin' old like me. My 27 year-old Porsche sits in the garage with a dead battery. I jump it once in a while.

I feel old, thats for sure. What I have found out with blinding fast autos and motorcycles is that you spend all your time idling around because they get dangerous fast on city streets. 0-60 in 4 seconds is great until someone pulls out in front of you because when they looked your direction 5 seconds ago you were just starting away from the stop sign. I also prefer one I can wail away at and not attract a lot of attention. A friend got nailed with a ticket for 150 mph in a 65 zone. Didnt go to jail but by the time it was over he had better than $2,500 spent in fines and fees.

I'm very uncomfortable about this tangent on cars, for which I have been largely responsible, when I replied James who just used Porsche to compare with alpha bins and people's attitudes.

On that will only say this here. Mark, sorry to hear about your friend. Never knew that system caused even serious injury. Corrected after a couple(?) of model years, with a unique joint (each side), and then it was safe. The problem (you prob. know all this) is common to any rear-heavy car with bare swing axles driven near the limit - I was terrified by it in a Volkswagen Beetle.

As for Spartan yes, that's what I like. Stripped off the bulky rubber armour from a new bin, the Nikon WP RA II reverse-porro - v. tough, amazing value for money - which then served me for years. An ulterior plus was it looked so unattractive it was theft-proof.

(Saw above posts only now, as kept out of Bf. for a day with an erroneous error msg. ~ "Admin. has barred your IP addr.")

Last edited:
In <this post> ~12 hrs ago (in another thread) the 8.5x44 Kowa Genesis is compared favourably with 8x and 8.5x42 "alphas".

I was going to come into this thread eventually. The above thread was mine, and I DID come away VERY VERY IMPRESSED with the x44 Genesis. I hope no one throws rocks at me, but mixed with the large easy focus wheel, I think I preferred it to the x42 Conquest. And not to disparage the Conquest or Zeiss-I almost had an upset and nearly decided on a Zeiss HT in the thread above!

At normal (not DEMO pricing) the Conquest comes in much better I believe however.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back