• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD+ owners thoughts. (1 Viewer)

Torview

I`v owned this binocular for over a month now and have used it extensively for Birding in that time and thought I would post my feelings about it.

I wish I still had my 8x42 Ultravid HD for comparison, but this was sold to fund the purchase of the 7x42.

For many reading this the Ultravid will need no introduction as its been around for 10+ years and although the optics have been updated over the years the body has remained unchanged.

However for those who have`nt tried a pair, the binocular is very compact and certainly noticeably smaller than the other Alpha offerings in a 42mm format.

Personally I like the ergonomics, the shape offers me a solid grip, I like the raised thumb ridges on the underside whilst for me the large focus wheel is perfectly positioned with no need to stretch the index finger forward or back.

Speaking of the focus, I`m sure its been improved on the plus models, it seems faster (from memory) than the HD with 460 deg of rotation clockwise from minimum focus, which on mine is a little under the quoted 3m.

Its also silky smooth and honestly the best from Leica yet IMO.

The eyecups now have more click stop positions than the HD, and from personal experience the aquadura coatings Leica apply to the lenses makes them very east to clean, much easier than the Lotutec on a previous Zeiss, or the Swarodur on my SV, again this my experience, others may disagree.

I just adore the optical quality of this model, the HD+ offers a sparkling image that really speaks to me, razor sharp high contrast view with wonderful rich colours that seem neutral in tone to my eyes.

There is classic pincushion distortion, so it is not a flat field design, nor is it sharp to the edge, but panning is comfortable and overall the view is very relaxing with extended use.

The fov is quoted as 140m at 1km, but this seems conservative, comparing it to my Nikon EII it does`nt seem much smaller, in fact if I had to guess, I`d say it felt more like 144-48m !

I genuinely feel I`v found optical nirvana for my preferences, I`v always been a fan of seven power binoculars, and as I`v never tried a 7x42 Nikon Edg, but have experienced the Zeiss 7x42Fl and Swarovski 7x42 Slc Neu, I`d say the UVHD+ is the finest 7x42 roof ever made, and may be the finest that will ever be made given the formats demise at the Alpha level.

Truly something really special where the sum is more than the parts, try one if you can.

John.

UVHD+ click stops

Torview, how many clickstops does your 7x42 have. Mine has 3 (the fully retracted, the fully extended and one close to the latter). fewer than on the 8x42 HD+.

hgalbraith, mine has 5, fully extended, fully retracted and 3 in between, but as Tobias has already pointed out, in effect it has 8, because the cups will stay put just above each stop.

click stops

This is so weird. My 7x42HD+ has only three positions, compared with the five that yours has. Is it possible that they have different construction for the US and European markets?

click stops

The mystery deepens! I spoke with Eagle Optics and they told me that, after testing a bunch of 7x42 bins that they had in stock, that some had 2 intermediate stops and some had 3. Very strange. They also measured the amount of extension in the fully extended position and it was identical for the 3 and 2 stop instruments. With their usual superlative service (I cannot speak too highly of them) they are sending me some 3 intermediate stop eyecups to try out.

Torview,

Stop it buddy.... you are torturing me with this stuff!!! You know they are at the top of my most wanted binocular list...!

Now I must go hyperventilate with my 7x42 EDG 8-P

Tell me more... please, :-O

CG

Last edited:
I'm not sure the EDG is better, actually.

Hermann

I`d have loved the chance to find out, the Edg is outstanding in the formats I`v tried, but nowhere have I found a 7x42 in stock to try, nor a dealer willing to order one in for me to try, apparently nobody buys a 7x42 anymore.

And I`v no doubt it was the equal or better than the UVHD, FL, SLC, but the new schott glass in the HD+ has done more for the Ultravid than one may expect, at least I think so.

the new schott glass in the HD+ has done more for the Ultravid than one may expect, at least I think so.

I know you coulnd't make a direct comparison to your old 8x42 HD, but still: how do you think the both compare? Why is the HD+ "optical nirvana" for you and the HD wasn't?

I know you coulnd't make a direct comparison to your old 8x42 HD, but still: how do you think the both compare? Why is the HD+ "optical nirvana" for you and the HD wasn't?

I was able to compare my HD to all the 42mm HD+ models at a local dealer, I really liked the 8x42HD I had, I should say I`d always wanted the 7x42 but found a superb deal on the HD as closeout stock.

The HD did suffer from more noticeable CA, and in a direct comparison with my EII, for me the EII was able to resolve a little better on very distant objects, this surprised me given the UVHD`s reputation.

In direct comparison between HD and HD+, the latter has noticeably less CA, the image looks sharper with more micro contrast and sparkle, it looks cleaner, almost "washed clean", and shows more detail in shadowy areas.

It also looks brighter, which makes sense given the transmission increase.

All together the combination of my favourite 7x42 format and the improve view makes me very happy.

experience with 7x42HD+

I bought a pair of Leicas back in February and have been using them pretty intensively since then in New England. I had no experience with the HDs, but have owned and used Swaro SVs, Zeiss FLs, and others. I find the 7x42s to be just about optimal for my eyes. They are exceedingly bright, have a very wide FOV, and are as sharp as I can see (I doubt if I could see anything any sharper). No flat field, but I am not particularly hooked on that - I actually prefer the slightly curved view of the Leicas. No CA, so far as I can see. Best of all, they are compact and light. They may only be half an ounce lighter than my Swaro SV 8.5x42, but they FEEL a lot lighter. I can carry them around my neck all day with no resulting neck pains (which I do get with the Swaros).

Are they my perfect bin? No such thing - all bins are compromises. But, they come close to perfection in at least 95% of situations.

The HD did suffer from more noticeable CA, and in a direct comparison with my EII, for me the EII was able to resolve a little better on very distant objects, this surprised me given the UVHD`s reputation.

Interestingly I have the same pair of bins that you used to have, EII 8x30 and UV HD 8x42. I don't find the EII sharper, but this is perhaps down to our personal samples of these bins. I can see CA in the UV, if I look for it, but usually I don't and it rarely bothers me. The only thing that sometimes bothers me are some flare, but this is complaining on a high level, and the UV did clearly better in this respect than the Zeiss FL and the Swaro EL that I compared with at the time of buying.

Well, all in all I'm happy with my bin, and from what I read here, I better don't look through an Ultravid HD+ in near future to remain concent with what I have ...

Torview - although I have no experience with the HD+, I can wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the benefits of the addition of HT glass.

The Zeiss HT shares this ultra clean, sparkling and neutral look that, when compared to something like an FL, clearly shows the improvements. I know there are experts on here that will disagree with some of this, likely that HT glass is responsible, but no matter. Something in the HT [and HD+?] does give a more satisfying viewing experience.

Torview, wasn't it you that once described the HT as ''like a smartphone screen, once the plastic cover was removed.'' or some-such? Works for me!

I totally understand the attraction of 7x42 binoculars for daytime use, but have any of you 7x42 fans used them at night when the eye pupils dilate wider? I fear the small amount of astigmatism in my eyes when fully dilated, would affect the view too much.

Torview,

Allbinos reports the distortion on the 8x32 HD at 36% and on the 8x42 HD at 45%. Do you know if this changed with the HD+ models? And where would you say the distortion shows up on the 7x42 HD+, and is this any different than the prior HD version?

Anything you can offer would be of help as the 7x42 Leica is extinct in my area. Thanks,

CG

Hi CG,

I`v just gone to look, I`d say the first curved line appears at about 40% on my 7x42.

It is a classic pincushion design, and I doubt Leica changed the distortion pattern in the plus models.

HD+ vs. HD

In direct comparison between HD and HD+, the latter has noticeably less CA, the image looks sharper with more micro contrast and sparkle, it looks cleaner, almost "washed clean", and shows more detail in shadowy areas. It also looks brighter, which makes sense given the transmission increase.

I found the same results with my 7x42 HD+ compared to a non-HD 7x42. It's hard to explain, but the HD+ image just feels brighter, cleaner, with amazing detail in the shadows. Both are great, but the HD+ wins every time.

For me it was the same comparing the HD+ to a 7x42 EDG II; both are great glasses, both views are sharp and crisp, but the view through the HD+ just feels better. This is one superb 7x42, in my opinion.

The eyecup mountings on the Ultravid, Ultravid HD and New Ultravid HD Plus are the same so if anyone would like the extra click stops on their eyecups even if you have the older models all you need to do is request a new set of eyecups from Leica. Just make sure that you request the version with extra clicks.

Here in the UK Leica Camera UK Ltd will supply the eyecups free of charge.
They also supply
Ultravid, Geovid & Duovid Front objective lens caps,
Rainguards & eyecups for most models going back to 1963.
All are free of charge

The only accessories that they charge for are the straps and the cases.
Don't get caught out my some dealers selling you spares that should be free.

E-mail Leica Camera Uk direct [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back