• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filthy Skua stay on case.. (1 Viewer)

paulsalmon

My Skua case is filthy from mud and daily use, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to clean it? I know it's waterproof, but would it shrink at all if hand washed in the sink with a small amount of detergent? Air dry.

My Skua case is filthy from mud and daily use, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to clean it? I know it's waterproof, but would it shrink at all if hand washed in the sink with a small amount of detergent? Air dry.

I just put mine in the washing machine on 30`, no need for detergent if it's just mud and daily grime and I'm sure they're synthetic so won't shrink.

A

You could use a "technical wash" product such as 'Techwash' made by Nikwax. This sort of thing is used on outdoor jackets and outdoor garments and contains no detergents. Readily available in outdoor shops. Then when it is clean you could use something like 'TX Direct' to waterproopf the case. I see Blacks do a twin pack with both products for £8.00.

last time i washed mine, i just used a little hand-wash detergent in the sink, then sprayed it when dry with the stuff i spray on a soft-shell jacket. Whether that did any good i don't know, but it didn't seem to do any harm! Still a better case than the Swaro one.

Hi all,
I have had this problem with mould forming. Good advice from Andy and et al. The important thing though is to ensure the casing is really bone dry throughout after treatment, otherwise you are wrapping your scope in a spore inducing shroud. Cheap supermarket gentlewash and suede protector spray will perform just as good as the expensive stuff IMO because I am not absolutely sure if repeated washings will remove the original waterproofing finish.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back