• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (22 Viewers)

Hi Chris! I know, listned to the match, was a just a little dissapointed to only get a point... For this kite, Holme next Saturday would do...

Cheers, Connor

Buckenham Marshes this evening gave me some fine views of the American Wigeon (on the dyke leading down from the mill, around the bridge/dam thingie) Also Wood Sand on the scrape to the right of the mill, yellow wagtail in field to the left. Swallows and house martins over, gropper, cetti's and sedge warblers all warbling; LRP, dunlin, redshank, ruff, avos, golden plover, snipe and blackwits wading, graylags honking and a (grey) partridge in the field on the way back.

Upton Fen this afternoon produced my first broad-bodied and four-spotted chasers of the year, plus hairy hawkers and large reds. Holly blue, orange tip, small tortoiseshell, peacock, comma, large, small and green-veined whites and brimstones also seen (but nothing much in the way of birds apart from gropper, sedge and a couple of marshies).

Only worked half a day today. Went to Holme 6pm-8.30pm.

Several birders still about. Slightly overcast.

Parked car by 5-bar gate half way down and walked along the coastal path and then diverted through forestry (naughty, naughty at this time!!!). At least 2 cuckoos, 1 cuckooing!!!! and one sat on a wire showing off - beautiful. 2 wheatears bounded across my path, 3 ring ouzels (please note spelling 'z'!!!!!!) landed in a bush, 1 chiffchaff flicking about in a bramble close to me, 2 red legged partridge, 16 curlew flying east, hedge sparrows, linnets, blackcap singing, common whitethroat singing. Walked through back of pines, along top boards to broad water, counted 8 avocets, 6 tufted ducks, 1 ruddy duck on broad water. 2 Sedge warblers singing in competition at bottom of path alongside broadwater, willow warbler singing. Walked through reserve to NOA carpark - sat on bench eating a flapjack and a peanut chunky kitkat (very healthy tea!! ;) listening to black headed gulls chattering and the sun going down and nobody here but me, thinking about life and all that rubbish, bla bla, trying to decide whether to sell up and move to a remote scottish island etc etc etc!!!!!! Anyway, walked back along road and heard another 2 sedge warblers in the small patch of reeds on your right just before first sharp right hand corner (4 altogether now this evening! - oh well beat Connor's sedge warbler record today ;) !) Got in car at 8.20pm and driving along Firs road had a beautiful barn owl cross over me, over the River Hun and another cuckoo flew across the road.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Last edited:
Hi All
A Warwickshire Birder in Norfolk for the day, and what a day. Hunstanton golf course, 11 Wheatear, 2 Whinchat, 11 Ring Ouzels. Holme dunes, 2 Lesser Whitethroats, 3 Yellow Wagtails, 2 Grasshopper Warblers of which one was showing very well see attached photo. Titchwell, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, Bearded Tit, Marsh Harriers, and a Harris Hawk escaped of course. Thornham Hbr, we had lots of fun photographing 4 very confiding Avocets. All this and a quick journey back home to see a male Ring Ouzel just 5 miles from my house, these are scarce birds in Warwickshire. Oh how i would love to live in Norfolk, you Norfolk birders are spoilt for choice.
Hope you enjoy the photo.
Steve Seal................ B :)
http://steveseal.fotopic.net

Attachments

• Sun 108.jpg
    Sun 108.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 119
Steve Seal said:
Hi All
A Warwickshire Birder in Norfolk for the day, and what a day. Hunstanton golf course, 11 Wheatear, 2 Whinchat, 11 Ring Ouzels. Holme dunes, 2 Lesser Whitethroats, 3 Yellow Wagtails, 2 Grasshopper Warblers of which one was showing very well see attached photo. Titchwell, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, Bearded Tit, Marsh Harriers, and a Harris Hawk escaped of course. Thornham Hbr, we had lots of fun photographing 4 very confiding Avocets. All this and a quick journey back home to see a male Ring Ouzel just 5 miles from my house, these are scarce birds in Warwickshire. Oh how i would love to live in Norfolk, you Norfolk birders are spoilt for choice.
Hope you enjoy the photo.
Steve Seal................ B :)
http://steveseal.fotopic.net

Excellent picture Steve :t: - I saw one that showed really well at Holme yesterday, maybe the same one, just sat there reeling away in the sunshine. Glad you enjoyed Norfolk.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

P.S. Just remembered, 2 Gargeney on Pats Pool at Cley NWT tonight.

Last edited:
Great Photo Steve. Those Ivory-billed woodpecker hunters could learn a thing or two.

Fairly good weekend. Got Ring Ouzels a plenty on Saturday - one at Gun Hill near Burnham Overy Straithe and 6 at Titchwell. Also a Whinchat Ruddy Duck at Gunhill, the latter particularly pleasing given that it was my first of the year and that its days in the UK are numbered. Greenshank and Yellow Wagtial also at Titchwell. Good Sunday. Caught-up with the Iberian Chiffchaff on my old stomping grounds of UEA campus. Looking not much different from its British Cousins, but sounding very Spanish. Another trip up Blakeney Point produced a Wood Warbler in the plantation, a good fall of common migrants and a couple of Little and Arctic Terns. Finished off the day with a trip to Salthouse Heath where a Nightingale sung briefly.

Hi All
Just about to leave for a day in breckland aiming at Weeting Heath & Lakenheath and maybe Lynford if time allows. Looking at the reports above, perhaps the coast would be better, but this will be my first time to breckland, so it has won.
Several target lifers but I am happy with whatever turns up.
I hope everyone has a good day.

Kevin

Had a very rewarding amble around Buckenham marsh RSPB and strumpshaw fen yesterday.

Started at Buckenham, things were a little slow to begin with until I got to the wader pools by the old mill.Some absolutely stunning looking Bar Tailed Godwits with Avocets, Dunlins in breeding plumage, redshanks etc - think I saw a couple of woodsands?? couldn't be sure (I'm duff with the waders!)

Started walking back towards the fishermans carpark (the air was thick with the sound of Sedge Warblers, Cettis, reed bunts etc) and noticed a single Little Turn resting on the island in one of the scrapes - unusual this far inland I thought? (see pic)

Last sighting at Buckenham was a screaming flock of about 20+ swifts, the swallows are busy around the station as usual.Lastly close views of Linnets and a Whitethroat from the gravel track and I'm off to strumps.

Having arrived at Strumpshaw Fen (tower hide) I'm almost immediately hearing one, possibly two booming bitterns.Also a buzzard is seen heading towards surlingham way.As I start walking back to the visitor hide I hear a Cuckoo calling from the other side of the river.Last sightings here include
two Common Turns and a hobby..and lots of Marsh Harrier activity!!

A fantastic reserve to be on this time of year

Matt

Attachments

• todayzstuff 009 (Custom).jpg
    todayzstuff 009 (Custom).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 128
I popped over to Norwich for the Iberian chiffchaff on Sunday evening, lovely little bird, singing beautifully. The light was shocking so i only managed this poor record shot.

I had my first swift of the year on Monday, a nice bonus on the way to do the weekly shopping.

Attachments

• iberianchiffchaff_220407_0009.jpg
    iberianchiffchaff_220407_0009.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 112
A wonderful wander along the North Norfolk coastline today produced 7 species of raptor. Montagu's Harriers wheeling in the sky as the male tried to fend off a male Marsh Harrier. Meanwhile six Marsh Harriers were in the sky competing with a Common Buzzard for airspace. Travelling on to Barrow Common a Kestrel zipped across the road whilst the Black Kite put in a performance with 4 Marsh Harriers and a Sparrowhawk. Taking a breather from watching the aerial displays I looked up just in time to see a Hobby fly across the field! What a wonderful sight.
With John and Judy, I went for a walk at Burnham Norton and watched a young Spoonbill feeding as 2 Common Swifts and several Barn Swallows flew overhead whist a Reed Warbler sang for all he was worth!
I examined all the fencelines for a Whinchat and could not believe it when John said he had found one sitting on some dead stalks!
What an afternoon! Magical!
Sue

Wow sounds like a great day sue. Damn school, this Black Kte parading in my absence. No doubt this and the ibe chiffy will depart before the weekend :C

oh well beat Connor's sedge warbler record today !)
:clap: well done Penny! Will be at Holme on Saturday.

Connor

12 Rouzels in one field in the village last night

plus 10 Wheatears, 2 Lesser throats, 11 Whimbrel and two cranes feeding in a roadside field.

Tim

couple of Montagus reported at Horsey and Spoonbill in-off at Waxham today too

Last edited:
Good numbers of birds moving this morning with the overcast conditions. Out on the saltmarsh surveying produced 25+ whimbrel, 30+ wheatears, 20+ yellow wags, 4 tree pipits and a reed warbler singing at Thornham Point. Still 3 ring ouzels around the Fen Hide and 5 whinchats there yesterday.

Managed to stumble onto the black kite on tuesday morning while looking for bearded tits which certainly made up for being ill on my birthday at the weekend and not managing to get into the field!

Approx 60 Whimbrel at rush hill (hickling) today, plus two Common Sandpipers
and 40 Dunlin, one calling Greenshanks was picked out by the birding chums.
Also a cuckoo was heard.

A quick visit at Strumpshaw Fen produced the first House Martins (3) of the year along with Swifts (4) and approx 8 Swallows.Plenty of Marsh Harrier activity at both reserves.A Water Rail was heard in the reeds along with Bearded Tits and Cettis along the paths.

Also had the opportunity to check out the Nightingale at the back of harford bridge Tescos car park which was singing from 18.15 (by the old burnt out hide overlooking pond)

Matt

I have just spent the last few days in Norfolk at Wild Duck caravan park (courtesy of Sun holidays) near Great Yarmouth. Had lesser Whitethroat rattling away just a few feet from the caravan. They seem to be everywhere at present - had one calling at Brancatser Staithe, one at Colney too.

On 24th I managed to grab a few hours birding away from the family. I went to Winterton Dunes, a place I had always wanted to go to and parked across double yellow lines but off the road (car park at the end closed). I came back to a ticket saying i was to be fined £30! My own fault even tho it seemed harmless at the time (and there was no where else to obviously park). Anyway an hours walk unearthed about a dozen Wheatear and 3 Ring Ouzels, all within half a mile of the totem pole. It holds so much promise, and i loved the place.
But i was pushed for time and wanted to get to my favourate reserve at Hickling. I got there at 5.30pm but the visitors centre was closed. Warblers were everywhere - Garden Warblers/Blackcap/Chiffchaff/ Willow Warbler. I pondered but decided to go for it - walking around. On the way to Bittern Hide I saw a Bittern at distance moving low across the reedbed, and 2 Marsh Harriers were busy squabbling with lapwings. Cetti's occasionally burst out into song, but despite my efforts i could not see the birds. The Bittern again took to flight in front of Bittern Hide, offering good flight views for several seconds - this time much closer. Reed Buntings perched up conspicuously. I moved on to the elevated hide that overlooks the reedbed extensively, several warblers sang away but i found any views hard to come by. I moved back across the field towards the visitor centre, where skylarks sang all around, and a Cuckoo passed silently overhead. Just yards from the visitor centre, another Cetti's warbler burst into song. I could not locate it but thought the terrain looked short cropped, so i sat quietly on a nearby bench. A minute later a small bird jumped up onto the low branches of a thicket and it was the Cetti's. It offered unobscured views for about 5 seconds as it sang again, and I was struck by the cocked Wren-like tail and white underparts. Superb!
Yesterday, I quickly visited Colney where the Iberian Chiffchaff was obliging . Shame about the sun angle and traffic though! And then onto North Norfolk..... great to see 4 Monty's back over their favoured oil-seed rape fields. I spent two hours watching these gorgeous birds displaying vigourously. Inbetween i spent an hour looking for the Black kite, around brancaster staithe, burnham deepdale and burnham norton, but no joy ( I havent got a pager). However, after my second spell of Monty watching I was driving back to the A149 for my long onward journey home when I saw a large raptor near Burnham Deepdale at about 5.15pm. I jumped out of the car and scoped it for about 5 minutes before it disappeared into a nearby coppice. It was the Black Kite and it showed really well. A real bogey bird for me (like most i have seen the BE Kite). I felt elated, what a great few days even tho i did not manage to find time to get to one of the main reserves of the area.

Finally on the my home i checked out Wolferton triangle - this was my 50th visit here but again i failed with Golden Pheasant (only ever connected once). However, i did see a small deer (muntjac or chinese water deer)....can anyone confirm what this small deer was likely to have been??

Either way, a smashing bit of birding in a beautiful area!

Muntjacs are common at Wolferton - I have never heard of any Chinese Water Deer,
What sex where the Monties you saw? Glad to see the numbers rising, there were only three on Tuesday.

Last edited:
I'd say the deer was most likely a Muntjac. It's a shame you didn't chance upon a CWD in the Hickling area, they're ridiculously plentiful in Broadland...

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back